How are Moto X buyers justifying the price?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Let's all make sure we keep the discussion civil and productive, yeah? There's a lot to discuss about the Moto X ? a phone which very few of us have actually used ? and it comes with a few rather unique points of debate such as the Active Display notifications and contextual awareness functionality. The problem here is that for each of us, these features will equate to different levels of convenience and utility. Contextual awareness may provide little utility to one (referencing the "just take a minute to check the weather manually" comments above), yet invaluable convenience to another (for instance, someone who may not have the ability to physically interact with their phone, regardless of the reason).

We all have different opinions of the manufacturer, the hardware, and the software, and we all have different points of view from which we establish these opinions. Embrace them, or, at the very least, acknowledge and move on. Bickering and excessively personal debate adds nothing to constructive conversation and won't be tolerated. Using the 'Report Post' button is the proper way to highlight any posts you may take issue with.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I can't ever justify $199 for the moto x.. mostly because of how little the carrier is subsidizing it. at $570 the carrier is only subsidizing $370.. where as a lot of phones that cost $699-$749 and are subsidized for $500+. Most of my smart phones have been bought at even further subsidization via amazon or wirefly ($.01-$.99)

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the S3. I purchased as a replacement for my Galaxy Nexus when it fell face down on a hard concrete surface. I think the S3's hardware is reasonably nice. It's a reasonably responsive phone. The camera is nice. One problem, using the S3 made me realize I absolutely detest Touchwiz.

I have used replacement launchers but Touchwiz is still there in the menus and how the system is logically ordered. The menu structure and multitude of options, most of which I won't be using, I find annoying. In contrast, when I pick up my wife's Galaxy Nexus, it feels logical and natural. This despite the fact that I've been using Touchwiz quite a bit longer than I've used stock ice cream sandwich or jelly bean.

I guess I could get a S4 GPE, but that won't fix the fact that that I don't like the was the Galaxy's S4 feels in my hand nor do I like the way they look.

I think the HTC One is a nice looking phone... but a bit too large for my
tastes. The speakers don't mean much to me because I use headphones on the road or my home audio system or headphones at home.

As far as replacement batteries go, it is the one big thing I like about the S3. However, if the charge on the Moto X lasts me through the day, the ability to replace batteries become far less important.

So if I were to sum it up, I believe I will like the Moto X because of the near stock UI, I like the size, and i like the always listening, active touchscreen features. I also like hyper saturated, black is black AMOLED screens. The battery life has even described as good and reviewers say that it is reasonably lagless.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I can't ever justify $199 for the moto x.. mostly because of how little the carrier is subsidizing it. at $570 the carrier is only subsidizing $370.. where as a lot of phones that cost $699-$749 and are subsidized for $500+. Most of my smart phones have been bought at even further subsidization via amazon or wirefly ($.01-$.99)

I'm not sure why the subsidy has anything to do with the utility I would derive from the device. For the sake of discussion if I decide that I like the Moto X better than the S4 or the HTC One and assume for the sake of argument all three phones retail at the same price, why would I care about the profit split between MOTOROLA and the carriers?

Posted via Android Central App

mccoym

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Never understood why people have to justify anything they purchase. I work, I make money, I buy the things I want. If the thing I want doesn't turn out to be as great as I hoped, I sell it and buy something else.

As for the Moto X, I'm absolutely buying one and glad I have AT&T so I can use moto maker right away.

I am a recent android convert. I've owned every model of the iPhone, but recently my wife changed from an iPhone 5 to a Samsung, thinking she'd like it. Within six hours I was back at the AT&T store switching numbers and giving her m iPhone 5. (She had already sold hers). I couldn't stand the phone at first either, I do not like touchwiz at all. After playing around and rooting it, I got the phone to do things I wanted and that's when I learned that almost all the reasons I jailbroke my iPhone, I could do on android, even if I hadn't rooted.

I don't necessarily like what I'm hearing about the 5S, and I don't like this galaxy whatever it is, so I figured I'd upgrade to a different android phone for my line until the release of the iPhone 6. I was all set on buying the HTC One but then I started hearing things about the Moto X and decided to hold off until I heard more about. I like what I'm hearing and hopefully at the end of the month I'll own one. Just have to figure out what color scheme to make it.

One of the biggest arguments I've heard is about no replaceable battery and no microSD slot. Being that I've spent the last six years with iPhones without replaceable batteries and expandable memory, I think I'll find a way to cope with it.

Buy what you want because you like it. Life is way too short to spend it worrying about what others think of you based upon your purchases. If they're that petty and shallow, they're not worth your time anyway.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I posted a warning earlier; let's ensure it's abided by. I've gone back and cleaned up a few posts now. To be clear: any additional replies which are off-topic, inciteful, or otherwise disruptive will result in infractions or the thread being closed.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I bet all the moto X owners will still charge their phone everyday.

Yeah, maybe. I mean.. it'd be good for them to do so, right? I charge my N7 every day or every other day or every third day, or whenever it's convenient... even though it might not necessarily need it. It's a good practice to keep these batteries relatively topped off as much as you can. I think the feeling they're after is not having to worry about it and/or not having to conserve in order to still have some juice left on the commute home from work and/or not having to turn off the selling features of the device in order to get it to last through a day.

It's not about showing anyone anyone anything... we're not in competition here. What this seems to actually be is a comparison of the value proposition of two very distinct paradigms of what makes devices great.

Do you like theoretical numbers or actual performance? The S4 is clocked faster on more cores, yet slower in actual use and frequently lags, stutters, etc, while the X and other stock and near stock devices fly through the same operations.

Do you like a big battery or a device that can last nearly twice as long on slightly less space?

Do you want dozens of features, 90% of which you can't name and never would use, even if you could .. though you can't because they have to be turned off in order to conserve battery life, or do you want to be sold on a small handful of features that make interacting with your device both easier and more enjoyable?

People keep asking how the Moto X can justify it's "top tier" price... I'd ask how can anything with "more power" that performs substantially worse in the real world be considered to deserve such stature?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I bet all the moto X owners will still charge their phone everyday. That would show us GS4 owners...

I don't care that much about having to charge my phone every night. I really just don't want to worry about it dying in the middle of the day or before I get home if I'm out all day.

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, maybe. I mean.. it'd be good for them to do so, right? I charge my N7 every day or every other day or every third day, or whenever it's convenient... even though it might not necessarily need it. It's a good practice to keep these batteries relatively topped off as much as you can. I think the feeling they're after is not having to worry about it and/or not having to conserve in order to still have some juice left on the commute home from work and/or not having to turn off the selling features of the device in order to get it to last through a day.

It's not about showing anyone anyone anything... we're not in competition here. What this seems to actually be is a comparison of the value proposition of two very distinct paradigms of what makes devices great.

Do you like theoretical numbers or actual performance? The S4 is clocked faster on more cores, yet slower in actual use and frequently lags, stutters, etc, while the X and other stock and near stock devices fly through the same operations.

Do you like a big battery or a device that can last nearly twice as long on slightly less space?

Do you want dozens of features, 90% of which you can't name and never would use, even if you could .. though you can't because they have to be turned off in order to conserve battery life, or do you want to be sold on a small handful of features that make interacting with your device both easier and more enjoyable?

People keep asking how the Moto X can justify it's "top tier" price... I'd ask how can anything with "more power" that performs substantially worse in the real world be considered to deserve such stature?

Well Said, I will agree that its always the design of software and how it is utilized that makes something better - just because its specs are better with bigger processors doesn't always mean it will be the best in performance.

I'm not worried about my S4 dying in the middle of the day. I'm not a hard core user so it doesn't ruffle my feathers very much.

But that said if I did want to use it as much as I could the battery would die after about 9-14 hours of use - that's my experience anyway. (with Smart Stay, Air View and Air Gesture on) Take a look at my Screenshots below - though this is during a 7 hour working day as well so I wont use it very much in the 7 hours except at lunch. Bear in mind I may charge it for 30 minutes during my lunch time but this shouldn't keep going for hours more right?
Also the main reason the S4 drains battery so quickly is because of the bloatware Samsung decided to put on the phone.

My old Lumia 900 only lasted me no more than 6 hours in a day - That was frustrating I can tell you.

2013-08-12153921_zps916ec3ba.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Quote of the day.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't have plans to buy this phone simply because I'm over buying anything that's not stock android now after having so many flagship phones that continue to lag, never get good support from the manufacturer and that relies on carriers to determine when the updates roll out (I'm on Verizon, so expect this phone to take forever to get updated), but I do like what Motorola is doing here. Now, all they need to do is get Google behind the marketing to pull it off. Essentially, they are just doing something Apple has done for years = focus on end user experience and not hardware. iPhone's have never had the top specs compared to Android's released at the same time, but they were never bad either. That's the same case here with the Moto X. It's not the top, but it's not the worst. It's arguably "just right" for what they are trying to accomplish = smooth user experience with useful features.

If you've used a Nexus 4 - even with its now year-old hardware - that phone just clearly outperforms every other Android smartphone on the market. It's super smooth. Stock android - or any software for that matter that has been optimized for maximum performance (something 'skinned' versions of Android often don't do - runs smooth. The Moto X is 90% or more stock with just a few tweaks Moto added. To me, this is something OEM's have needed to do for a long time... leave the design alone and just make a few tweaks to things you want to add instead of doing all of these insane skins and redesigns that lags the experience. Smartphones such as the S4 would perform better had the skin stayed the same and instead they just added things like multi-window or whatever they wanted.

Motorola is also playing to their strengths. Their design team sucks in every way imaginable - software and hardware. Yup, I said it. Every skinned phone they've made is hideous and even their hardware to me for the most part is typically hideous. The Moto X is just less hideous than Razr's, but to me it's not a great looking phone. It's just a screen. There's no character really and Moto Maker only matters if you don't want to throw a case on it (I do), but in the end that might not be a bad thing. Going with stock android eliminates the use of their horrible graphics team entirely, smooths out the experience, makes them the only OEM with a smartphone that has a near-stock experience on all carriers and allows them to update quicker (again: the issue here is that carriers will still play politics when determining WHEN they want to release updates, so don't expect them quick... it won't be much different than it is now other than the fact that Motorola will likely complete the update a lot sooner, but carriers will still delay it). If I was going to stick with non-stock smartphones I'd get the Moto X hands down, regardless of the price, as long as it came with 32gb minimum at that $199.99 price point.

I think with the right marketing this will do very well. The issue is marketing. Consumers have been taught to believe that better hardware = better experience and that's just not true. Software is greater than hardware in this industry. Plus, you have to remember that most sales reps will be selling against this phone because of its hardware for that very same reason (they aren't any smarter than the typical consumer and believe that hardware matters most). So, really...again, it will come down to marketing.

So far, most that have played with it say the experience almost matches stock in terms of speed - as it should. Given the huge battery life improvement that's a huge selling factor as well. The price shouldn't bother too many people because you should be buying a piece of technology based on "how well it works" and "not what's in it". That's what Apple sells their premium priced everything under and you see it works for them...so, why shouldn't it work for others as well?

.... release a version of the Moto X that isn't dependent on Verizon for software approval and I may very well pick it up...

razr M with slightly modified stock android vs galaxy nexus in my real life experience is the razr m is much more fluid and nicer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone proves that specs don't matter when it comes to price. Like it or not, but the Moto X is Android's iPhone in this way.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that is true, but the Moto X is still extremely different from the iPhone because the Moto X does not restrict the capabilities of the phone. It is just as capable as any other android phone (even though it doesn't have the multi-window or air wave functions of the Galaxy S4, while the S4 doesn't have the contextually aware Active Display or Touchless Controls.)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A phone with a 1.3 GHz dual-core processor and 1GB of RAM with a screen on the low side of 300 PPI is so midrange in 2013.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
A phone with a 1.3 GHz dual-core processor and 1GB of RAM with a screen on the low side of 300 PPI is so midrange in 2013.

Eh, when it boils down to it, the main purpose of a smartphone is to make and receive calls. As long as it can do so reliably, I don't care what hardware is in it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll justify the price once I get it in my hands and see how it feels and performs. If it's any better than how my GNex is doing then I'll get it. Plain and simple.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Justification: It has features I want to use rather than immediately disable and it's a cut above my Galaxy Nexus (especially in the battery). It's not bleeding edge, but I'm not about to sit on Sense or TouchWiz (I don't root if I can avoid it). Plus, I'm not about to forgive HTC after the Thunderbolt debacle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001