We already have problems

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Which customers are having problems? Did you even read the article?

No one has "problems already."

Motorola is constantly testing their own products, as they're doing with the wood backing, and they decided the quality wasn't up to par, so they pulled the feature for the time being.

So what are the problems consumers are experiencing from an unreleased product again?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Mmmm I think you might've read too far into his post.

Moto made the decision to give AT&T exclusive rights to Moto Maker and all of its features at launch, and they couldn't quite get that right now could they?

We've known the wood backs wouldn't be available until later this year. We were under the impression that customers with access to Moto Maker would be able to get custom engraving right from the get-go. Regardless of quality control issues, Motorola is having to go back on that promise, and I agree with the OP that this is "not a good start."

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Kudos to Motorola for pulling the feature instead of shipping. I agree it is not the start they hoped for, but frankly I am impressed the rest of the supply chain had held up during the early beta.

Next up the att beta. :)

I'll bet that all features are up and running by across all the carriers by q4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Which customers are having problems? Did you even read the article?

No one has "problems already."

Motorola is constantly testing their own products, as they're doing with the wood backing, and they decided the quality wasn't up to par, so they pulled the feature for the time being.

So what are the problems consumers are experiencing from an unreleased product again?

Every customer that saw the advertised product and planned on ordering it day 1 with an engraving has a problem.
ATT&T which had an exclusivity which would allow its customers to get an engraved phone first has a problem.
Motorola/Google who heavily marketed a feature that they can't deliver on as promised has a problem.
People who got the early invites and could access motomaker today to design their phones have a problem.

People who can't lighten up and seem to want to argue for the sake of arguing have a problem.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Kudos to Motorola for pulling the feature instead of shipping. I agree it is not the start they hoped for, but frankly I am impressed the rest of the supply chain had held up during the early beta.

Next up the att beta. :)

I'll bet that all features are up and running by across all the carriers by q4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

i think this stuff is why they didn't give all carriers moto maker in the first place, there are going to be issues cranking this stuff out as it is, let alone 4x the amount of what they'll do initially.

surprised that they couldn't get the engraving thing right though. Probably was the sheer volume they weren't ready for, and better to cancel engraving than slow things down.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Still laughing....do you really think that? That so many people are buying it even though its not even for sale yet that they cant engrave them fast enough??
dunno man, i'm sure they engraved 100's before the ball started rolling. what do you think happened?

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Still laughing....do you really think that? That so many people are buying it even though its not even for sale yet that they cant engrave them fast enough??

Something like this hasn't been attempted before on this kind of device. The tooling and production have to be tested. I would venture the guess that during the pre-beta runs (with the various press and other first-run trials such as employees, friends of employees, and others) proved that the methods of engraving couldn't hold up to the higher production rate. Thus, they will pull it to make adjustments before the first launch partner gets rolling with it, which would compound the problem. This is a much more common event in business process modeling than you would think.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Every customer that saw the advertised product and planned on ordering it day 1 with an engraving has a problem.
ATT&T which had an exclusivity which would allow its customers to get an engraved phone first has a problem.
Motorola/Google who heavily marketed a feature that they can't deliver on as promised has a problem.
People who got the early invites and could access motomaker today to design their phones have a problem.

People who can't lighten up and seem to want to argue for the sake of arguing have a problem.

People who haven't invested financially haven't had a problem.

The company that hasn't had to refund money that it didn't receive for a product that hasn't been released has a problem?

A back plate engraving was heavily marketed? I've seen "Touchless Control" and "Active Display" in the only two commercials.

People who scream the sky is falling before a product has been released to the public? Those are the people who really have a problem. Relax, kid.

You make it sound has though Motorola is issuing a massive recall. They simply weren't pleased with the quality of their product, and they've taken the initiative to adjust that. This will blow your mind, but that's what companies do.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
People who haven't invested financially haven't had a problem.

The company that hasn't had to refund money that it didn't receive for a product that hasn't been released has a problem?

A back plate engraving was heavily marketed? I've seen "Touchless Control" and "Active Display" in the only two commercials.

People who scream the sky is falling before a product has been released to the public? Those are the people who really have a problem. Relax, kid.

You make it sound has though Motorola is issuing a massive recall. They simply weren't pleased with the quality of their product, and they've taken the initiative to adjust that. This will blow your mind, but that's what companies do.

You might want to switch to decaf, son. I don't know if you're worried about your Google stock dropping a few points or what, but you seem a bit too worked up over this. Nobody is screaming the sky is falling. I said it was a problem, and it is a problem. Just like the reported camera issues are a problem.End of the world? No. Problem? Yes.
And yes, the engraving is part of the "designed by you" that is marketed on every commercial and print ad about the phone, so it is marketed heavily. Is it the only thing marketed? No.But is it marketed heavily? Absolutely.This isn't the demise of Motorola. I'm not claiming or implying that it is, but the phone and everything involved in launching it has had some problems, and this is one of them.
You said it yourself, they weren't pleased with the quality of their product. Do you know what it's called when you have a situation you're not pleased with and it needs to be fixed? Its called a problem. That's all I'm saying.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You might want to switch to decaf, son. I don't know if you're worried about your Google stock dropping a few points or what, but you seem a bit too worked up over this. Nobody is screaming the sky is falling. I said it was a problem, and it is a problem. Just like the reported camera issues are a problem.End of the world? No. Problem? Yes.
And yes, the engraving is part of the "designed by you" that is marketed on every commercial and print ad about the phone, so it is marketed heavily. Is it the only thing marketed? No.But is it marketed heavily? Absolutely.This isn't the demise of Motorola. I'm not claiming or implying that it is, but the phone and everything involved in launching it has had some problems, and this is one of them.
You said it yourself, they weren't pleased with the quality of their product. Do you know what it's called when you have a situation you're not pleased with and it needs to be fixed? Its called a problem. That's all I'm saying.

Outside of the engraving problem, what other launching issues were there? Not being combative, I'm genuinely curious because this engraving problem is the first one I've read about.

I suppose the MotoMaker AT&T exclusivity could be considered one but that's not so much an issue with the launch process as it is a seemingly dumb decision. But perhaps given the engraving issue, it's not such a dumb decision after all. :)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Outside of the engraving problem, what other launching issues were there? Not being combative, I'm genuinely curious because this engraving problem is the first one I've read about.

I suppose the MotoMaker AT&T exclusivity could be considered one but that's not so much an issue with the launch process as it is a seemingly dumb decision. But perhaps given the engraving issue, it's not such a dumb decision after all. :)

The exclusivity is considered a problem to most people. The inconsistent camera. Verizon allegedly pushing back they release date, and now this. No, the sky is not falling, and I'm sure everything will be solved in time, but this has been far from a smooth release which is too bad cuz it looks to be a phenomenal device.

Posted via my Droid Bionic while waiting for my email notification from Verizon telling me when the Droid Bionic will be available

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
The exclusivity is considered a problem to most people. The inconsistent camera. Verizon allegedly pushing back they release date, and now this. No, the sky is not falling, and I'm sure everything will be solved in time, but this has been far from a smooth release which is too bad cuz it looks to be a phenomenal device.

Posted via my Droid Bionic while waiting for my email notification from Verizon telling me when the Droid Bionic will be available

I don't get how "pushing back" a non existent release date is a problem?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't get how "pushing back" a non existent release date is a problem?

pushing back a release date would be a problem. Rumors say it was pushed back, but we don't really know, hence the "allegedly"

...go ducks...not really

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

First of all, Verizon "pushing back" the date has absolutely nothing to do with Motorola bungling the release, and everything to do with Verizon being a greedy company with zero respect for their customers and only caring about their brand.

The exclusivity for Moto Maker is a horrible shame, but I think it really was a massively important decision and will in the long run have a much better impact on Motorola's image than a release where their facility is completely unable to keep up with demand, including finding out the processes are unable to provide a consistent product due to the massive stresses put on it by a complete nationwide availability. I am much happier that Moto has chosen to hold off on engraving until they can ensure the process is working well because they would have had a MUCH bigger issue on their hands if phones started getting to customers with huge quality issues in the engravings they were able to order.

The camera is definitely a disappointment but it is expected from Motorola and from current reports does not seem to be nearly as much of an issue that many people are building it up to be. It won't work for the people that nit pick tiny details from their pictures but it will be MORE than adequate for the vast majority of users.