08-26-2013 05:20 PM
171 12345 ...
tools
    I only had it for a *very* limited period of time. It was the glass back, combined with the size of the device. Because of the glass I felt like I had to be super careful with it, all the time, and so it make carrying the device more of a task than anything else. It also felt just a little too big in my hand. I suspect that the device I picked up had build issues, as well, given that the GPS was often slow in locking with 4.3, and the wifi signal strength was weaker than on my Galaxy Nexus.

- - - Updated - - -
    Phew! I keep getting nervous that androids slow down after like 3 months. lol.
    08-21-2013 10:23 AM
    i'm curious about the curved back. what happens when you put it in your pocket? i'm guessing it doesn't lie flat against your leg and thus a lot bulkier than most phones out there, no?

also, if you lay it flat on the table, does it wobble?
    For me, at least, the Moto X feels like a really small phone (which is something that I like). The curve is gentle, which makes it more pleasant to handle than a 'pure' flat phone (IMHO). It doesn't wobble on the table, which I suspect is a combination of the fairly gentle curve and the Moto dimple on the back.
    08-21-2013 10:25 AM
    When you go into an app do the onscreen bottom buttons retract? i have a phone now with the on screen buttons but when open an application they're gone. but now in recall of a review, they were still on i think on the X.
    08-21-2013 11:18 AM
    When you go into an app do the onscreen bottom buttons retract? i have a phone now with the on screen buttons but when open an application they're gone. but now in recall of a review, they were still on i think on the X.
    Depends on the app I believe. For the most part, the buttons are there.
    08-21-2013 11:23 AM
    Depends on the app I believe. For the most part, the buttons are there.
    what in the.... :P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i know it's probably not just the moto, my :P is cuz... just :P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Not a rhetorical question but what's the point of having a 4.7" screen then? Why not just make it slightly less so we get the same viewable screen but not button interference over the screen?
    08-21-2013 11:26 AM

Not a rhetorical question but what's the point of having a 4.7" screen then? Why not just make it slightly less so we get the same viewable screen but not button interference over the screen?
    Because on-screen buttons rotate with the phone. Hard buttons do not. Makes landscape navigation a challenge.
    Paisley likes this.
    08-21-2013 11:28 AM
    Because on-screen buttons rotate with the phone. Hard buttons do not. Makes landscape navigation a challenge.
    how do button phones deal with that?
    08-21-2013 11:31 AM
    Is there a way to make the on screen buttons much more tranparent? like tranparency at 90%+? or increased transparency while an app is open?
    08-21-2013 11:41 AM
    BTW, I haven't seen any app (on the Moto X) that hide those buttons. And the rotation in landscape mode only rotates the button in place; they end up on the right side of the screen and not the bottom (as they do in portrait mode).
    08-21-2013 11:45 AM
    Is there a way to make the on screen buttons much more tranparent? like tranparency at 90%+? or increased transparency while an app is open?
    Not via a setting. But some apps (Camera) have transparent backgrounds, while others show dark backgrounds.
    08-21-2013 11:47 AM
    Not via a setting. But some apps (Camera) have transparent backgrounds, while others show dark backgrounds.
    oh. thanks. i'll have to watch mqdbl or whatever his channel is called, i think he was talking about that, if so, he said that's a bug. Okay, big thanks. : )
    08-21-2013 11:56 AM
    The button phones deal with it by getting rid of the bar all together. Initially there was a black bar across the bottom of them to display the menu bar when needed, but this has been fixed.

As for them being on screen and taking up spcae -- I barely noticed it on my GN. For the gaming apps or videos that I wanted full screen, the apps remove the buttons, so that is the flexibility that you get from them. At this point I prefer them to be on-screen. The button bar adapts based on what features are needed.

What I had hoped was that the bottom bezel would be smaller now that you don't need the space for the capacitive buttons, but I don't think we have seen that play out yet. It will be an adjustment going to the Maxx, but the battery life is worth the trade off for me.
    08-21-2013 01:08 PM
    For those looking for some camera comparisons:

Here's a quick comparison shot between the MotoX & Samsung Galaxy S4. These shots were taken about 30 seconds apart and have no post processing done other than resizing each to a width of 640 pixels. The first is from the Moto X and the second (the taller one) is from the Galaxy S4.

I haven't tested the Moto X in low light or any challenging conditions.

Initial thoughts:
    - The one from the GS4 os a much more accurate colour rendition of the actual scene.
    - The one from the Moto X has a purplish cast to the picture (see the colour of the sky).
    - There is a lot more detail in the picture taken by the GS4.
    Attached Thumbnails Picked one up today (Canada)!-motox.jpg   Picked one up today (Canada)!-sgs4.jpg  
    08-21-2013 03:55 PM

Here's a quick comparison shot between the MotoX & Samsung Galaxy S4. These shots were taken about 30 seconds apart and have no post processing done other than resizing each to a width of 640 pixels. The first is from the Moto X and the second (the taller one) is from the Galaxy S4.

Initial thoughts:
    - The one from the GS4 os a much more accurate colour rendition of the actual scene.
    - The one from the Moto X has a purplish cast to the picture (see the colour of the sky).
    ouch.

i wonder what the droid ones are like. if they were better and i had verizon, i would get a droid just for that.
    08-21-2013 04:00 PM
    ouch.

i wonder what the droid ones are like. if they were better and i had verizon, i would get a droid just for that.
    I'd assume the Droid ones are the same - don't they have the same sensor and software?

Additionally, I'm not sure whether they are a result of the sensor or image processing? If sensor, then there's not much hope for better images. If processing, then theoretically a software update could alleviate some of the issues.
    08-21-2013 04:11 PM
    I'd assume the Droid ones are the same - don't they have the same sensor and software?

Additionally, I'm not sure whether they are a result of the sensor or image processing? If sensor, then there's not much hope for better images. If processing, then theoretically a software update could alleviate some of the issues.
    haha, jinx. i just wondered that in a thread above. yeah, off to look at reviews for the droids.
    08-21-2013 04:18 PM

..or perhaps a camera app to replace the stock software? Not sure if you'd be willing or interested to try, but I know it would answer a question I've seen from a lot of folks re: camera.
    08-21-2013 04:20 PM

Initial thoughts:
    Could you download a couple 3rd party camera apps (camera zoom) and see what type of results they produce?
    08-21-2013 04:44 PM
    Ask and ye shall receive! :-D

Same shot (around the same time) - in order from top to botton: Stock Moto X Camera App, Camera Zoom FX & Pecan. For some reason, Camera Zoom FX only shot with a 5MP resolution (no other option was available) and the app produced some quirky usability issues (the on screen buttons disappeared and only were available when I went to the Gallery).

I still notice a purple tinge in all the shots, but to my eye the Pecan one is much sharper (at full size) than the stock one.
    Attached Thumbnails Picked one up today (Canada)!-motox_stock.jpg   Picked one up today (Canada)!-motox_zoomfx.jpg   Picked one up today (Canada)!-motox_pecan.jpg  
    08-21-2013 05:10 PM
    You're a gentleman and a scholar.
    Astrotrain00 likes this.
    08-21-2013 05:11 PM
    I just thought of a question that I wanted to know (which will help me decide if I wanted to try this phone out). How is the GPS lock on both maps and camera after three or more days of using it? The reason I ask is that I am always using my phone to GPS tag photos every day and my current phone requires me to reboot it every 3-5 days or so because the GPS lock breaks eventually.

I do remember that the camera app on the Atrix HD I briefly had didn't notify you if the GPS locked when you were using it. Does the stock camera app on the Moto X have the same?

Ok so that's two questions, sorry!

Thanks! You've done a ton of great stuff for this thread and I'm curious about your helium experience as well.
    08-21-2013 05:34 PM

Same shot (around the same time) - in order from top to botton: Stock Moto X Camera App, Camera Zoom FX & Pecan. For some reason, Camera Zoom FX only shot with a 5MP resolution (no other option was available) and the app produced some quirky usability issues (the on screen buttons disappeared and only were available when I went to the Gallery).

I still notice a purple tinge in all the shots, but to my eye the Pecan one is much sharper (at full size) than the stock one.
    Pecan looks a hint better, but still kind of washed out to me unfortunately. Luckily, I don't need a top-o-the-line camera with spot on reproduction. I take most of my shots indoors for work.
    08-21-2013 05:52 PM
    As another asked, please comment on the GPS locking of this device. I'm hoping it's like my Razr which is as quick as can be to lock on vs my Samsung GS3, which takes a while and sometimes loses the signal here and there.
    08-21-2013 06:37 PM
    I just thought of a question that I wanted to know (which will help me decide if I wanted to try this phone out). How is the GPS lock on both maps and camera after three or more days of using it? The reason I ask is that I am always using my phone to GPS tag photos every day and my current phone requires me to reboot it every 3-5 days or so because the GPS lock breaks eventually.

I do remember that the camera app on the Atrix HD I briefly had didn't notify you if the GPS locked when you were using it. Does the stock camera app on the Moto X have the same?

Ok so that's two questions, sorry!

Thanks! You've done a ton of great stuff for this thread and I'm curious about your helium experience as well.
    I've had GPS turned off since yesterday. However, when I turned it on today it was fast and accurate for both Maps as well as Camera. I'll keep it going and report back over the next few days.

As for Helium, I'll try it tonight if I get in home in time! :-)
    truenoob and betsuni like this.
    08-21-2013 06:42 PM

Thanks for this. I was hoping for more improvement, and I agree with the assessment of the shots.

This camera is better than what I have now on my GN, so it will work for me. If I needed, I can fix what I have seen with Snapseed. I still have not gotten to the point that I like to use my phone for anything more than a snapshot anyway.
    08-21-2013 06:54 PM
171 12345 ...