Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
If you only use 16 gigs of storage space, you don't use your phone like it's supposed to be used. I'm just saying, extra memory and a removable battery are things the smart consumer would look into.

Posted via Android Central App

Sales figures disagree with your rude, judgemental statement. See: iPhone. Case closed.

If you're still carrying around memory cards and extra batteries, you're doing it wrong.

See? People have opinions. No need to get snarky when yours don't align with anothers.

Personally, I'm glad removable storage is disappearing outside of Samsung. That said, I also don't feel as though users should be forced to use cloud services.

On-board storage is still by and large the best solution out there. I have a Nexus 4 and a 3GB data plan, and I also use Spotify for music and a 50GB box.net account for extra storage. Does that work? Sure. Quite well, actually. But I'd be lying if I said I don't envy 64GB iPhone's...

In the end, different strokes for different folks. No need to get nasty about it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess I use my smartphone primarily as a communication device... phone, texts, e-mail, forums, social stuff and a little media consumption and games. Music streams infinitely, documents are on Drive and pictures are on dropbox and google +. My device has 21.71GB free of the 28.13GB available from 32GB on the side of the box. My tablet has many more games and some books on it, otherwise it also streams music and videos and photos go to the cloud and get taken off the device.

I used to have problems with storage on older devices, but ever since All Access from Google Play Music and Auto Backup for photos the need for massive storage just isn't there for how I use my devices. I know I have a couple hundred GB worth of stuff out there, but at once time it seems like no more than 10 or so has to be on the device.

So... using a device within it's limitations and maximizing the efficiency of resources available makes one stupid. That sucks. I used to consider myself to be somewhat competent.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
If you only use 16 gigs of storage space, you don't use your phone like it's supposed to be used. I'm just saying, extra memory and a removable battery are things the smart consumer would look into.

Expandable storage and removable battery may be the ideal situation for you, but don't call everyone else who doesn't want or need those options stupid.

I do have an external battery charger for those times I need an extra boost to my battery. It is preferable to me rather than shutting down the phone, removing the back cover, taking out the dead battery, putting in a new battery, putting the back cover on then powering up the phone.

I've had phones with expandable storage and found that I just don't use it. I personally utilize the cloud for my pictures, documents and music. If I'm on a flight and want to use my phone for music then I have the option to download 5 or 6 hours worth of music without worrying about running out of storage space on my 16gb phone.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
This is why I said "the smart consumer". It's your opinion, but why waste all that data when you don't have to. And I don't carry around spare batteries and micro SD cards, I use a single 64 gb card for movies, music, TV, everything. And the funny thing is, those 64 gb iphones are like 500 bucks on contract, where I paid 200 bucks plus 20 for the card. Cloud storage? More excuse for not having enough storage on non expandable phones

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Cloud storage? More excuse for not having enough storage on non expandable phones

Actually cloud storage means I can listen to my music on my phone, work computer, home computer, tablet and chromecast. I can view photos from my phone, work computer, home computer and tablet. Documents can be viewed and updated via my phone, work computer, home computer and tablet. I can watch tv shows and movies.....you get the idea.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Actually cloud storage means I can listen to my music on my phone, work computer, home computer, tablet and chromecast. I can view photos from my phone, work computer, home computer and tablet. Documents can be viewed and updated via my phone, work computer, home computer and tablet. I can watch tv shows and movies.....you get the idea.

Yes.... For a fee. Where I can have all of it local, without Internet, for no fees and supreme quality. I'll be sure to use this "cloud *cough* ripoff *cough* storage

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Tele_Phone

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Never said you guys were stupid, it's just you don't think the proper way sometimes. You're all very capable of using phones and loving android, it's just the options you choose for the phone aren't so great

:thumbdown:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Never said you guys were stupid, it's just you don't think the proper way sometimes. You're all very capable of using phones and loving android, it's just the options you choose for the phone aren't so great

They're not so great for how you use your devices. For the way we (or at least I, I'm loathe to speak for everyone else) use our devices, it seems to be working out perfectly. Optimization is relative to the tasks you're trying to complete and what measures you're trying to solve for.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay okay, let's set this straight. I use cloud as well, don't use an SD card, and always stream. Good to see you guys are making the right choices. I'm just screwing with you guys. And for the mods, no this is not anything bad. Think of it as an "experiment". You should have seen what the people of tumblr said: "screw cloud storage! SD cards for life!" absolutely awesome, thanks for participating in the experiment

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes.... For a fee. Where I can have all of it local, without Internet, for no fees and supreme quality. I'll be sure to use this "cloud *cough* ripoff *cough* storage

I'm not paying any fees to have 100% of my content available on 100% of my devices, irregardless of platform aside from my home internet and normal mobile subscription. I pay for that by participating in Google's ecosystem, but it costs $0.00 in dollars (other than Google Play Music All Access, which is $7.99 but that's not required to use Google Play Music for up to 20,000 songs for free). If you want to listen to the same song on 5 devices, you're saying you have it stored locally on 5 devices. I have it stored on 0 devices. For the way I use my devices my way is MUCH more efficient. I never have to copy things from one device to another, never have to remember where something is... it's just everywhere, all the time, on every major operating system.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

This is precisely the reason why I prefer cloud storage. I can pick up any and all my devices and know that I can get access to my data. Given that I have 2TB of data available for free, it makes sense that I use it.

If I need media for the short run, where a signal isn't available, I can just download it.

I have an SD card in my S3 and it sits in the phone unused.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not paying any fees to have 100% of my content available on 100% of my devices, irregardless of platform aside from my home internet and normal mobile subscription. I pay for that by participating in Google's ecosystem, but it costs $0.00 in dollars (other than Google Play Music All Access, which is $7.99 but that's not required to use Google Play Music for up to 20,000 songs for free). If you want to listen to the same song on 5 devices, you're saying you have it stored locally on 5 devices. I have it stored on 0 devices. For the way I use my devices my way is MUCH more efficient. I never have to copy things from one device to another, never have to remember where something is... it's just everywhere, all the time, on every major operating system.

Did you see the above post? Just explained it was an experiment between android central and tumblr.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Do you teach classes on thinking the "proper way?" Where do I sign up? I need to free myself from this cage of ill-thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.