Top Motorola engineer defends Moto X specs (Q&A)

smcd5213

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Ran across this article prior to picking up my own Moto X. I had read all the canned X8 blurbs that have been re-blogged all over the web a thousand times by everyone with a "tech news operation" running out of their basement, but this struck me as particularly interesting. It's a nice Q&A style interview and while I'm no guru by any means- these things might as well run on magic as far as I'm concerned- he does seem to be making logical points in defense of the platform.

Apologies if this has already made the rounds; thought it might be of interest to fellow Moto X owners or perhaps those that are undecided looking for info. This seems far more in depth than the "it's a marketing gimmick" or brief boilerplate description pieces I've seen making the rounds.

Cnet News: Top Motorola engineer defends Moto X specs (Q&A)

Oh, and for what it's worth, I am thoroughly enjoying mine. It replaces a much loved but signal challenged GNex and a stop-gap Razr HD.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I think X-8 is great. But non removable battery & no sd card slot = no sale for me. Those are the specs that leave me cold.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think X-8 is great. But non removable battery & no sd card slot = no sale for me. Those are the specs that leave me cold.

I totally agree with you.....or did totally agree with you. Then I went ahead and bought my X with a puny 16 gig. I don't miss the memory card at all. Keep my pics on here....my old ones that I want every now and then are on Google drive which pulls up as quick as my onboard gallery. Music and movies load just as quick....no need to save em anymore for me.

As far as removable battery.....that's slowly but surely being eliminated on all phones. Not to be all conspiracy theorists, but your phone can't be traced when the battery is out of it! Can shut it off, but with non removable batteries it still gives a 911 signal and can be remotely wiped in the event that you misplace it or have it stolen.

Posted via my MotoX

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree with you.....or did totally agree with you. Then I went ahead and bought my X with a puny 16 gig. I don't miss the memory card at all. Keep my pics on here....my old ones that I want every now and then are on Google drive which pulls up as quick as my onboard gallery. Music and movies load just as quick....no need to save em anymore for me.

As far as removable battery.....that's slowly but surely being eliminated on all phones. Not to be all conspiracy theorists, but your phone can't be traced when the battery is out of it! Can shut it off, but with non removable batteries it still gives a 911 signal and can be remotely wiped in the event that you misplace it or have it stolen.

Posted via my MotoX
Sigh.
:'(

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I thought 16GB might be an issue for me, but it's totally not. I use Google Play All Access and I'm not idiotic enough to think that I have to have every single song I know available to me in some lossless codec at all times just in case I might want to hear one of them on a whim. I just pin some albums and I'm good to go. I also have no desire to watch video on a tiny screen for any extended period of time. I can store backups in the cloud and/or on my desktop if I ever need to. And I have wifi available to me at home and work.

So 16GB is turning out to be just fine.

And the battery? It has yet to die on me--even after 24 hours during which I played games, used social media, streamed music and video, downloaded music and apps, made calls and texts, and browsed the web.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am smelling some BS with the part about screens(particularly the htc tech being inferior and PPI comment), but other than that an interesting read. I like how they went with smaller processors for the speak rec. and such instead of just letting the cpu/gpu do everything.