Confessions of a Motorola Fangirl: The Honeymoon is Over

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If the Pure didn't sell well with all of it going for it, of course they would double down on some more secure Verizon dirty lucre.

Seems like a no brainer. They have a business to run.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't have too much problem with vzw exclusives. But of course they are my carriers. I do hate their bloat, but that's a universal thing. But getting too frikkin big? Yeah. I don't wear skinny jeans. No one wants to see that. But good lord. Phones these days are getting stupidly huge. I put my BB Bold next to even an S6 and cringe a bit. The S6 is about my comfortable limit. But makes are determined to see how much glass and metal we are willing to carry.

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using my Moto X 2013 with its reasonably sized screen and loving it — burn-in strip, four-hour battery life and all. Every year I think I'm going to move to new X/Z, and every year just xipz on by.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't have too much problem with vzw exclusives. But of course they are my carriers. I do hate their bloat, but that's a universal thing. But getting too frikkin big? Yeah. I don't wear skinny jeans. No one wants to see that. But good lord. Phones these days are getting stupidly huge. I put my BB Bold next to even an S6 and cringe a bit. The S6 is about my comfortable limit. But makes are determined to see how much glass and metal we are willing to carry.

That reminds me of when I got my first bb bold (the first one) I remember worrying how I was going to deal with such a big phone.

Oh how silly that seems now.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
That reminds me of when I got my first bb bold (the first one) I remember worrying how I was going to deal with such a big phone.

Oh how silly that seems now.

I still use mine. It's fast, it's small, it runs forever. It's not the sing and dance and do everything phone that my notes 5 or S6 is, but if you want to email talk and text, it's better than the note. And yeah, I can lose it in my pocket. Maybe those days when people were competing to make small phone will come back. Doubtful. But I can hope. Right now if I want small but still do everything, I get the S6. Still, compared to the Bold the S6 is a monster.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Apparently Lenovo reps said "they are working on a worldwide release of the force" but it will *always* be a Verizon exclusive in the US.

And this has been the same situation for the last 2 years. As the Droid Turbo, Turbo 2, and Maxx 2 were the only versions available in the U.S.

dsstrainer

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm willing to look past most of the design changes. But I can't get past the screen size. It amuses me that I see tons of posts and articles where the main idea is "Its too big" yet nobody seems to be listening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm willing to look past most of the design changes. But I can't get past the screen size. It amuses me that I see tons of posts and articles where the main idea is "Its too big" yet nobody seems to be listening.

If people stop buying "big" phones, you'll see screen sizes scale down.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I still think that the iPhone SE could have some of that impact. If OEMs see that selling and see a small, straight up flagship (generally) selling well - then the OEM that goes there first can potentially win on differentiation there. From reading the forums, there are a LOT of people who are lamenting the move to 5"+ devices by all major OEMs - so there's a market, but traditionally small phones with inferior specs haven't done well.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I still think that the iPhone SE could have some of that impact. If OEMs see that selling and see a small, straight up flagship (generally) selling well - then the OEM that goes there first can potentially win on differentiation there. From reading the forums, there are a LOT of people who are lamenting the move to 5"+ devices by all major OEMs - so there's a market, but traditionally small phones with inferior specs haven't done well.

And if you have a 4.7" phone with the same processor, RAM, storage, camera as a 5.5" phone, people can and will assume the 5.5" phone is better because 5.5 > 4.7. :/

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
And if you have a 4.7" phone with the same processor, RAM, storage, camera as a 5.5" phone, people can and will assume the 5.5" phone is better because 5.5 > 4.7. :/

True - and that pretty much is the assumption people make, but often there are other things like the 5.5" having a MUCH huger battery, maybe a higher res display, or a pricetag that doesn't match up with the differences.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

True and to be honest I find the size of the Moto Z to be a plus. I personally don't want to go back to a smaller phone. To each their own I guess.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
For many people smart phones are most importantly mini computers so
a larger screen has benefits. It looks like 5.2-5.5 inches is settling in as the sweet spot between usability and screen size for many people.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Reflecting on my smart phone history from the 2.5" BlackBerry Curve to a dalliance with an iPhone 4, 3.5" to my cute chunky monkey with extended battery 4.3" HTC Rezound, to the 5.0" Droid Maxx to the 5.7" Moto X Pure I adjusted and got used to the larger screen size. But even with its small bezels the Pure is pushing it for me and I'll happily try a 5.5"screen although ironically enough the z and z force aren't much smaller despite a smaller screen.

Last edited:

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

I wonder how much of that assumption is fueled by the fact the in the past the bigger phone has always had the better specs in all other areas or a significant differentiating factor (ex. S-Pen)

The numbers on the iPhone 6s / 6s+ would probably be the closest you could get to look at a trend, but that's still a tiny set (relative to the smartphone market)

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Today I got a chance to play with the Z at my local Bestbuy. you are right, this phone thin is. However, with the Incipio battery pack attached, I thought the phone was the perfect size . It really Made Me think about getting the Note 7.

I'M waiting to see the Nexus Sailfish, before I make my final decision . I'm coming from a 4 note So I'm interested in the battery pack for sure.

Posted via the Android Central App