Where is the Developer Edition?

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Phil Nickinson has said on the Android Central podcast, on numerous occasions, that everyone he's spoken with at Verizon and Google have stated that they have a good relationship. I guess Verizon, Google and Phil are liars and "common sense" prevails.

Look. I was just being snarky. I'm not calling Verizon, Google or Phil liars, but it's likely Verizon and Google are not entirely open or truthful about their dirty laundry either. Much of this discussion is based on conjecture and perception. The additional clarifications made by Verizon today tend to point more towards operational incompetence rather than malice in regards to Nexus 7 tablet activation issue but I wouldn't totally rule malice out either. It's easy to see why the perception of a contentious relationship is there. Afterall, it was Google that pushed for the open access rules on the 700Mhz spectrum auction and pledged a lot of money in the auction to ensure that it would come to fruition. Verizon fought the 700Mhz open access rules throughout the entire process. Open access runs contrary to their corporate culture and history.

There has been sufficient evidence over the years that Verizon's corporate culture favors a tightly controlled experience from the network to the end user device and has demonstrated downright contempt for outside devices and openness. This history goes back many years at least to when they were selling their Qualcomm BREW based phones and probably even further. Some of the motivation for this is delivering an extensive reliable network experience to a customer base that's willing to pay a premium for that service. Another motivation is pure greed that unfortunately comes at the expense of the customer experience. Why else would they strong arm their manufacturers to include VZTones and VZNavigator on all the devices they sell and not allow the owners of the devices to uninstall that redundant inferior garbage?

Unfortunately the greed doesn't stop there. They also have a history of accepting payment to force non-Verizon software onto the devices they sell in order to gain additional revenue. Again, this comes at the expense of the customer, who ends up paying a premium($200-$300 and a 2 year contract) for a device with embedded non-removable advertising. More recently, Verizon has been forcing manufacturers to alter their core Android OS experience on their flagship phones. This has included abominations such as the on-going WiFi notifications recently imposed on the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4. I sincerely doubt that manufacturers are happy to oblige, especially since they are working towards creating their own branded experience and Verizon continually puts additional requirements in the way of getting that device on Verizon's network.

The Verizon 4G LTE network certification for the Nexus 7 LTE tablet is yet another unnecessary roadblock that Verizon has put in the way of another device getting access to their network. It's a roadblock that violates the rules they agreed to in the 700Mhz auction. The whole debacle is consistent with the theory that Verizon and Google have at least a somewhat contentious relationship. It's also consistent with Verizon's contempt for device manufacturers and consumers in general.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Forgive the newbie question, but how does this work, then? I am on Verizon with unlimited data, and my current 2-year contract is just about up. I was planning to pay full retail for a Verizon Moto X once they became available via Moto Maker, but I have no problem buying this version now instead of waiting. If I buy the phone, how do I keep my unlimited data? Do I have to swap SIM cards with my current phone (Droid RAZR)? Do I need to activate something? Forgive my ignorance, please. Thanks for any help.

Just go to Verizon and ask for a SIM (you'll need a new one since your SIM from your Razr won't work). Pop that baby in and you're good to go. Nothing else. You've done nothing to alter your contract. And your data will be intact!

oldskoolsc

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you order online with Verizon?? I called them last night and they said they had no 32 gb in stock yet. My 14 days is over next week trying to get the phone before i have to pay extra, thanks.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Did you order online with Verizon?? I called them last night and they said they had no 32 gb in stock yet. My 14 days is over next week trying to get the phone before i have to pay extra, thanks.

You have to order direct from Motorola. Then you can pop your SIM in and be ready to go.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ordered my DE X for Verizon this afternoon.

Here's my question about the DE X: what have people said about the white phones? Do they show dirt more than the black? Easy to get permanently dirty? I'm going to case it anyway due to pure OCD. But I'd like to keep it as clean as possible, so I'd just like to hear what some people who have a white X have to say.

Yes, my woven back got dirty very quickly, like within a few days I thought it was stained. On another thread, someone said to clean it with rubbing alcohol and it works very well. Still gets dirty again quickly though. I have a thin case on mine normally, but sometimes take it off if I want the phone to be super thin in my pocket.

Oh, and doesn't it say that the DE comes with a SIM already installed? Then you'd just update which SIM you're using on the VZW site and you're ready to go?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, my woven back got dirty very quickly, like within a few days I thought it was stained. On another thread, someone said to clean it with rubbing alcohol and it works very well. Still gets dirty again quickly though. I have a thin case on mine normally, but sometimes take it off if I want the phone to be super thin in my pocket.

Oh, and doesn't it say that the DE comes with a SIM already installed? Then you'd just update which SIM you're using on the VZW site and you're ready to go?

I'm ok with it getting dirty as long as it can be cleaned. I'm going to case it anyway, but still like my stuff looking good. And it may come with one. I didn't see for sure, but you're probably right. And that's all you'd have to do.

KDogg241

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
For people who have ordered the developer edition for Verizon, any idea when it will ship? Mine still shows that it hasn't been shipped even though it said two day shipping when purchasing.

Posted via Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
For people who have ordered the developer edition for Verizon, any idea when it will ship? Mine still shows that it hasn't been shipped even though it said two day shipping when purchasing.

I was wondering the exact same thing. I was hoping it would be here tomorrow, but I'm guessing that won't happen. We'll see, though.

jmc dg

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Does the DE still include all of the original moto X software features such as active notification, twist to switch on camera, touchless control, Motorola assist etc? Cannot find this confirmed anywhere. Am living outside USA so the DE looks to be the best option to get this thing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Does the DE still include all of the original moto X software features such as active notification, twist to switch on camera, touchless control, Motorola assist etc? Cannot find this confirmed anywhere. Am living outside USA so the DE looks to be the best option to get this thing.

Yes, the only differences from the same carrier versions are that the bootloader is unlockable and they're holding 32GB instead of 16GB of internal storage.

jmc dg

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the only differences from the same carrier versions are that the bootloader is unlockable and they're holding 32GB instead of 16GB of internal storage.

Thanks. It's the software features that really appeal to me on this phone compared to the likes of HTC ONE and S4. I am curious whether there are any other people from outside the USA interested in getting the moto X. I did some research to make sure the GSM version frequencies are compatible with my operator here (I am from the Netherlands, living in Dubai). GSM and 3G are OK, 4G/LTE unfortunately not :(. If anyone's interested I'll start a thread for international users.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. It's the software features that really appeal to me on this phone compared to the likes of HTC ONE and S4. I am curious whether there are any other people from outside the USA interested in getting the moto X. I did some research to make sure the GSM version frequencies are compatible with my operator here (I am from the Netherlands, living in Dubai). GSM and 3G are OK, 4G/LTE unfortunately not :(. If anyone's interested I'll start a thread for international users.

I know there are a few people in Europe, Australia and New Zealand that want to play with Moto X devices. I'm wondering if the XT1032, XT1033 and XT1035 are perhaps the international adaptations.

jmc dg

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I know there are a few people in Europe, Australia and New Zealand that want to play with Moto X devices. I'm wondering if the XT1032, XT1033 and XT1035 are perhaps the international adaptations.

Interesting! Indeed look like international adaptations however they might be budget versions called 'DVX' or something, at least according to a quick Google :
http://androidcommunity.com/motorola-dvx-details-revealed-in-fcc-filing-20130903/
http://m.pocketnow.com/2013/09/03/motorola-dvx-launch

If the DE radios are compatible with an international operator, is there anything that could go wrong? I remember that flashing another radio on my 9100 seemed to improve 3g.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So Verizon's DE is showing out of stock now. I placed my order on the 18th when they were in stock and still haven't received confirmation of shipping. Has anyone who has ordered one seen anything as it pertains to shipping? I was hoping I'd get it today, since it does say 2-day shipping, but I'm assuming it won't magically show up.

KDogg241

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Ordered on the 18th and no word on shipping. My case and screen protector showed up from Amazon though :/

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Ordered on the 18th and no word on shipping. My case and screen protector showed up from Amazon though :/

Same here....still says has not shipped.......ughhhhhhhhhhh. I am thinking about cancelling my order,

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Customer Service was no help...How can they have them in stock and still not have them shipped?

Renalyn: Hi, my name is Renalyn. How may I help you?
Chuck: Hi
Chuck: I ordered and paid for the Moto x dev edition for verizon on the 18th
Chuck: why has it still not shipped?
Renalyn: Hi good day!
Renalyn: I'm sorry to hear that, let me check it first, can i have the order number?
Chuck: I do not understand how it can be in stock and still not shipped Renalyn: thank you, One more moment please, while I find that information for you.
Chuck: thanks
Renalyn: Thank you for holding, my apologies for the delay.
Renalyn: Based on the order number it shows that the order is already in the factory its ready to release, however we still don't have the tracking information.
Renalyn: Once the phone is ready to shipped out you will be notified through your email together with the tracking numbe
Chuck: wow
Chuck: wow
Chuck: Amazon really should come show you guys how to ship items

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Guy relax. When I ordered my T Mobile model last wendsday they told me it would take 7-10 days to ship. My order status never changed from "not shipped" yet it arrived to me on Saturday.

I just ordered the GSM DE version right when it became available today also!