Picked up the 5s today.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
^the usable space (space for user content) is not .6" taller on the Moto X. If you do your math right, you'll come up with around 10% area.

You can't count button space because its not usable...they are just dumb buttons, you can't put icons there, or web page content, or emails, etc.

Two obvious flaws in your logic.

1. You have failed to provide any math to support your proposition. This means you've failed to controvert the other math presented in this thread. This also means your hypothesis is nothing more than your own opinion. Math beats Opinion. Much like Rock crushes Scissors.

2. You are attempting to reduce the size of the Moto's screen by inserting a definition for "usable space". There is no concept of "usable space" regarding mobile device displays. You made that up. Additionally, by your own admission, you're wrong. Numerous apps are full screen.

I'm not sure why you're trying to prove that a 4 inch screen is only 10% smaller than a 4.7 inch screen. I'd say you're off the rails on this one.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Two obvious flaws in your logic.

1. You have failed to provide any math to support your proposition. This means you've failed to controvert the other math presented in this thread. This also means your hypothesis is nothing more than your own opinion. Math beats Opinion. Much like Rock crushes Scissors.

2. You are attempting to reduce the size of the Moto's screen by inserting a definition for "usable space". There is no concept of "usable space" regarding mobile device displays. You made that up. Additionally, by your own admission, you're wrong. Numerous apps are full screen.

I'm not sure why you're trying to prove that a 4 inch screen is only 10% smaller than a 4.7 inch screen. I'd say you're off the rails on this one.
I've never made the claim that a 4" screen is only 10% smaller than a 4.7" one. Further, defining usable screen space by the area reduced by buttons is completely reasonable. Those buttons are there for 98% of the phone usage.

The screen is closer to 4.2" if starting at the top of the buttons, not 4.6 as some have claimed....which is 10%.

It's well known that onscreen buttons reduce usable...user content...screen space.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've never made the claim that a 4" screen is only 10% smaller than a 4.7" one. Further, defining usable screen space by the area reduced by buttons is completely reasonable. Those buttons are there for 98% of the phone usage.

The screen is closer to 4.2" if starting at the top of the buttons, not 4.6 as some have claimed....which is 10%.

It's well known that onscreen buttons reduce usable...user content...screen space.

The height of the screen goes from 4.1 to 3.9, being reduced by slightly less than 5%.
The width is reduced by 0. It is 2.3".
Total screen size (the hypotenuse) is reduced from 4.7 to 4.53, a reduction of about 3.6%.
The total area goes to 8.98 inches squared, down from 9.44, a reduction of about 4.9%.

This is contrasted with the iPhone 5's 3.49x1.96 screen of 4", and with buttons not counted the Moto X is 31% larger, while otherwise it's 38% larger in terms of area.

Please let me know if you disagree with any of the calculations used.

I just pulled out a tape measure as well. My eyes would have called it at just under 1/4", but .2" is probably right given that's based on pixels and not human eyes. Either way, .2 or .25" isn't going to make the difference from 4.53 to 4.2". That'd actually be 4.49.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The height of the screen goes from 4.1 to 3.9, being reduced by slightly less than 5%.
The width is reduced by 0. It is 2.3".
Total screen size (the hypotenuse) is reduced from 4.7 to 4.53, a reduction of about 3.6%.
The total area goes to 8.98 inches squared, down from 9.44, a reduction of about 4.9%.

This is contrasted with the iPhone 5's 3.49x1.96 screen of 4", and with buttons not counted the Moto X is 31% larger, while otherwise it's 38% larger in terms of area.

Please let me know if you disagree with any of the calculations used.

I just pulled out a tape measure as well. My eyes would have called it at just under 1/4", but .2" is probably right given that's based on pixels and not human eyes. Either way, .2 or .25" isn't going to make the difference from 4.53 to 4.2". That'd actually be 4.49.
The error it seems I've made is measuring diagonally from top of button bar to opposite corner top of screen. My error being measuring diagonal, as if it were still 16x9 above the button bar.

I'd still like to know why more content on webpages and applications seem to fit (while still readable) on the iPhone screen. It just seems like use of space is much better, with Android, manufactures don't increase that 'screen density' setting in the build prop file so everything just gets bigger (buttons, menus, etc) with larger screen phones.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The error it seems I've made is measuring diagonally from top of button bar to opposite corner top of screen. My error being measuring diagonal, as if it were still 16x9 above the button bar.

I'd still like to know why more content on webpages and applications seem to fit (while still readable) on the iPhone screen. It just seems like use of space is much better, with Android, manufactures don't increase that 'screen density' setting in the so everything just gets bigger (buttons, menus, etc) with larger phones.

Great question. Part of that is due to the tools provided for scaling apps. Android will automatically space apps based on a type of device, such as phone, tablet, phablet, etc.

Unless the Dev specifically changes how it scales, the automated response is to treat a 4.3 and 4.7" device identically, with some things larger and some things spaced differently.

They can render on just about any display for samples and most optimize for tablet/phablet and leave all candy bar phone settings to the tool to sort out unless there are observable issues.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I'd still like to know why more content on webpages and applications seem to fit (while still readable) on the iPhone screen. It just seems like use of space is much better, with Android, manufactures don't increase that 'screen density' setting in the build prop file so everything just gets bigger (buttons, menus, etc) with larger screen phones.

You mention "content on webpages and applications," then go on to indict the manufacturers. Have you considered that maybe porting SOME apps across platforms yields less-than-ideal-yet-perfectly-satisfactory results?

I say "SOME" because so far it seems as though you've ignored westifires's post in which he shows Android displaying more content than iOS....

How is this even a discussion?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
You mention "content on webpages and applications," then go on to indict the manufacturers. Have you considered that maybe porting SOME apps across platforms yields less-than-ideal-yet-perfectly-satisfactory results?

I say "SOME" because so far it seems as though you've ignored westifires's post in which he shows Android displaying more content than iOS....

How is this even a discussion?
He hid the button be and blew up the font size in the iPhone. Besides, you SHOULD be able to fit more content on a larger screen Android phone...which is precisely my point.

I like the Moto X, but I'm on Verizon and would rather get a Droid MAXX, but 720 on that 5" is pushing it. I just don't like the on screen buttons. My RAZR MAXX HD had burn in within 3 months....and I lost screen space.

Allen Brown2

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have a moto x on vzw. No simultaneous data and voice. Not trying to start a fight, but look it up. Not happening until volte comes next year. Try it for yourself while not connected to WiFi.

Posted via Android Central App

Try your phone out in a 4g area. It doesn't work in 3g areas.

Posted via Android Central App

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Can't this all be adjusted by changing the font size? Also, there is an advantage of showing the same amount or even slightly less if the font is larger / easier to read.

Take a look at the on screen keyboard for example. I find it harder to type on the iPhone because the screen is smaller resulting in a much smaller keyboard.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I can understand the OP's move if photo quality is a major concern. I have a 3 year old little girl, and the only reason I am thinking of getting a 5s is for the camera. I prefer android over iOS for its widgets, keyboards, roms, etc. However, I have yet to see an iPhone level camera in an android phone with a "small" form factor. I know the S4 and the Note 3 have great cameras, but they are substantially bigger than in size than the Moto X. The recent update to the Moto X is what has me holding out for hope to stay on android, but I still see a lot of problems. For example, look at the bottom left corner of this picture, there is a greenish tint to the wall and the woman's legs. And in these photos, example1 and example2, the sky in the left corner is purple. The washed out problem appears to be fixed, but the purple fringing seems to be worse than before.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I honestly cannot tell any difference in the color or tinting on the womans legs compared to her arms,andcannot see any oddly greenish part of the picture.

The purple tint of course will show up whenever there is light directly hitting the lens so entirely should occur only depending on the picture composition and if you don't shield any camera.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I can understand the OP's move if photo quality is a major concern. I have a 3 year old little girl, and the only reason I am thinking of getting a 5s is for the camera. I prefer android over iOS for its widgets, keyboards, roms, etc. However, I have yet to see an iPhone level camera in an android phone with a "small" form factor. I know the S4 and the Note 3 have great cameras, but they are substantially bigger than in size than the Moto X. The recent update to the Moto X is what has me holding out for hope to stay on android, but I still see a lot of problems. For example, look at the bottom left corner of this picture, there is a greenish tint to the wall and the woman's legs. And in these photos, example1 and example2, the sky in the left corner is purple. The washed out problem appears to be fixed, but the purple fringing seems to be worse than before.

Take enough photos with an iphone and you will find things to compalin about or aren't perfect there too. Because no camera phone is perfect. None. The day may come in the future where that is no longer the case, but that day is not today and everything is still a matter of tradeoffs.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Take enough photos with an iphone and you will find things to compalin about or aren't perfect there too. Because no camera phone is perfect. None. The day may come in the future where that is no longer the case, but that day is not today and everything is still a matter of tradeoffs.

Except, that before the update, the Moto X camera, is plain flat out horrible.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Except, that before the update, the Moto X camera, is plain flat out horrible.

How is that a problem if:
- it no longer exists
- it was a software issue fixed by a simple update
?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

matt-helm#AC

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I lasted exactly 23 hours with the 5s. Curiosity got the better of me yesterday so I went to the apple store to pick one up. 23 hours later.. I'm done with it