I'm moving back to Android. It needs to be a wow device...

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Is the Pixel Fold the right device?

I'm well into the Apple ecosystem with my M1 Mac Mini / M2 MBA / M1 iPad Air etc

But Android has always been my go to device. Most recently I thought it was the S23U. But it just left me cold... Sold it after 2 weeks...

I do really like my 14 Pro Max. But currently I'm using my Pixel 4XL more than anything... For me Android does it better bar Google Pay... Apple Pay is slicker and has easier access IMO...

Anyways...

I've been doing a lot of reading re the Pixel Fold and it really appeals to me. That wider front screen shouts a lot as does the inner!

I tried a Z Fold 3... Hated the front screen. Binned it after a week...

I've shovel like hands. So a thin screen is useless to me...

I know the Pixel is smaller height wise. But it's fatter width wise (oo er missus) haha :D

I want an Android daily driver with a wow factor. The Z Fold 5 could be that... But it's Samsung software that I'm just not keen on. I love Vanilla Android... I've had my 4XL since new and it's still as new. Refuse to sell it

But it needs to go back to being my back up phone and camera

Is anyone moving from the flagship iphone to the Fold? Has anyone done it already?

How are you finding it? In the real world, what are the cameras like and how is it for every day standard usage (no gaming, no movie watching, no glued to social media etc)?

Cheers

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Take a look at this at Chrome Unboxed before jumping on the Fold:

Reactions: Dan_B1979

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly Google's fault. But the guy is probably right - it will probably take longer than he has patience for, for it to happen. It might require the user to summon/demand the full blown webpage rather than one intended for mobile (phone) screens.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Yeah; that's not going to bother a normal every day user, someone like myself!

Being a tech recruiter for a giant social media business ;) I can see exactly where he's coming from, knowing a lot of front end devs/full stack devs etc...

But I'm not a power user, or a gamer etc... But I do want to move back to Android and ideally a fold (never a flip, sorry, they're not for me) and loving Vanilla Android as I do, the Pixel Fold ticks a LOT of boxes...

It seems that it'll be end of August when they're more available here in the UK; so I've time to suss out the Z Fold 5 too; but if they stick with that 'candybar' set up; then that more or less rules it out as it's far too narrow for my hands and I'd rather gain width and lose height & go for the Pixel Fold!

I didn't last long with the S23U as I missed the width of the flatter 14 Pro Max; hence why I went back to it so quickly...

My wife's got the P7P and she loves it; it was her borrowing my Pixel 4XL until she decided what she wanted to do that made her sway to the Pixel 7 Pro over any Samsung... No junk, no bloat etc

Reactions: J Dubbs

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Yeah; that's not going to bother a normal every day user, someone like myself!

Being a tech recruiter for a giant social media business ;) I can see exactly where he's coming from, knowing a lot of front end devs/full stack devs etc...

But I'm not a power user, or a gamer etc... But I do want to move back to Android and ideally a fold (never a flip, sorry, they're not for me) and loving Vanilla Android as I do, the Pixel Fold ticks a LOT of boxes...

It seems that it'll be end of August when they're more available here in the UK; so I've time to suss out the Z Fold 5 too; but if they stick with that 'candybar' set up; then that more or less rules it out as it's far too narrow for my hands and I'd rather gain width and lose height & go for the Pixel Fold!

I didn't last long with the S23U as I missed the width of the flatter 14 Pro Max; hence why I went back to it so quickly...

My wife's got the P7P and she loves it; it was her borrowing my Pixel 4XL until she decided what she wanted to do that made her sway to the Pixel 7 Pro over any Samsung... No junk, no bloat etc
I love my Pixel 5. The size, weight, battery life, Pixel fabric cases. Android Auto is still hit-or-miss for me though. Sometimes on a trip it will cut out, go silent, or turn off Maps. Only a phone restart will sort it out.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Not exactly Google's fault. But the guy is probably right - it will probably take longer than he has patience for, for it to happen. It might require the user to summon/demand the full blown webpage rather than one intended for mobile (phone) screens.
I'm not so concerned with the blame as I am with general usability. For the price of the Fold I expect all the little things to work properly straight out of the box. It's starting to look like Google designed the Fold for the world they want instead of the world in which we live. Maybe the real world will catch up to Google's vision a few models from now. I'm waiting to see instead of spending this much now on a future ace product.

Reactions: FF22

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I love my Pixel 5. The size, weight, battery life, Pixel fabric cases. Android Auto is still hit-or-miss for me though. Sometimes on a trip it will cut out, go silent, or turn off Maps. Only a phone restart will sort it out.
Try beta beta for maps or AA , maybe it will work better for you

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not moving from iPhone since that's always going to be my main daily device because of ecosystem (apple watch, fitness and many other stuff).

But I always have few Android phones as secondary phones. I can tell you the Pixel Fold is a premium device and feels like one when using it. Personally, I'm not worried about some of the complaints like app compatibility for inner screen, battery life etc. On the inner screen, most of the apps I use work great and the ones which don't scale to full screen, you can use split screen to fill in 2 apps. It's not my daily device, so battery life isn't a big concern for me but from what I have observed it should get through the day with normal use.

If it's your only device, I do agree you need to be little more critical and given the price you might not willing to compromise on certain things. Between the Z Fold series and Pixel Fold, I absolutely love the Pixel Fold more because of the form factor. Not a fan of Z Fold narrow screen and couldn't get used to that every time I bought the Z Fold phones. This is the first foldable in the US, I can see myself using it regularly and enjoying it.

Camera is great, usability is great, feels great in the hand, clean Pixel software (my preference).

Battery, Tensor Chip are average but that's a known with Pixel phones.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The BASE model with 256 GB of storage and warranty is $2100+ with tax. "Average" is NOT what I expect for $2100.
It's good that we have some choices now. You choose what works for you since everyone's preference is different.

Till now in the US, other than Z Fold not much choice was there. So it's good that Pixel Fold is in out now, think OnePlus will release their Foldable in August. So more choice for people to choose based on their needs.

But in terms of price honestly, it'll take few years for foldables to come down in price. OnePlus for sure will undercut and might come in around $1500. And there is the usual carrier options if one doesn't mind buying from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan_B1979 and FF22

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I was at the ATT store today and messed with the pixel fold a bit and like what I see but until mine arrives and get more hands on we shall see.
I did same was at ATT store wed held it came home placed order with ATT.Think you also going thru ATT? I know you will but let us know when you get tracking.

Reactions: mustang7757

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
T-Mobile launching a trade-in deal for the Pixel Fold that potentially drops the price to $800.

Reactions: J Dubbs and srgonu