"only 500,000 Moto Xs sold in third quarter"

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: "only 500,000 Moto Xs sold in third quarter"

1. Please observe what color Lumias you actually see out and about. Additionally, the Lumia 925/928 had quite limited color options. Samsung had colors but most GS handsets I see are are black, white, and blue. Apart from the candied 5C, Apple's flagship has limited color choices and the reason why people go Gaga over them is because they don't have OEM choice on iOS so their only way to differentiate from other users is to get the newest color (they'll be crying for another color in a year or so after Gold saturates their social circles).

People want the brand/phone they're looking for. Many could care less about the color and will settle if the color they want isn't available. iOS, Galaxy S, and HTC One users are clear examples, and this can be seen even in Nokia's user base. They aren't buying a color, they're buying a Brand and a Specific device.

2. Better than a One X, S3, G, G Pro, i4S, i5, L92x? Well, whatever floats your boat... Not from the Samples I've taken with the camera (I view them on a large calibrated display, not a smartphone screen, BTW).

Touchless controls are as nice as Siri, S Voice, or Google Now. They aren't all that practical in real world use - no matter how hard some may force themselves to use them, most people just want to use their phones, not talk to them. Judging from my FB News feed, more people are apt to buy the 5S for the M7 sensor or a S4 for the Pedometer/S Health/IR Blaster, etc. than a Moto X for some Touchless Controls, and the cameras on those devices are clearly better than the Moto X - pictures and video also litter my news feed and I have friends record my practices all the time. I'd want them using the best camera phone available if they're going to do that...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

1. Please observe what color Lumias you actually see out and about. Additionally, the Lumia 925/928 had quite limited color options. Samsung had colors but most GS handsets I see are are black, white, and blue. Apart from the candied 5C, Apple's flagship has limited color choices and the reason why people go Gaga over them is because they don't have OEM choice on iOS so their only way to differentiate from other users is to get the newest color (they'll be crying for another color in a year or so after Gold saturates their social circles).

People want the brand/phone they're looking for. Many could care less about the color and will settle if the color they want isn't available. iOS, Galaxy S, and HTC One users are clear examples, and this can be seen even in Nokia's user base. They aren't buying a color, they're buying a Brand and a Specific device.

Already more than just black and white.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Touchless controls are as nice as Siri, S Voice, or Google Now. They aren't all that practical in real world use - no matter how hard some may force themselves to use them most people just want to use their phones, not talk to them.

The color trend is silly but always ready is so useful for me. I use google now so much more and it's so convenient. Love it. Actually surprised how often I use it. But then again, i don't know one single person who uses their IR blaster or who uses their phone as a pedometer. But i *do* know a lot of people who just get the next version of their former phone. Sammy 2 to sammy 3, sammy 3 to sammy 4. And sammy's also the "other" phone. I'm leaving apple, what do i get, the most popular, sammy, that's what. And that's how people operate. Any of us who have ever worked in product know how it goes. What’s popular isn’t always the best and what's the best isn't always the most popular.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Exactly.

And they'll want another color, cause they want to differentiate. Things were different before the iphone made it to every other major carrier plus some prepaid. They lose that exclusive feeling.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

The color trend is silly but always ready is so useful for me. I use google now so much more and it's so convenient. Love it. Actually surprised how often I use it. But then again, i don't know one single person who uses their IR blaster or who uses their phone as a pedometer. But i *do* know a lot of people who just get the next version of their former phone. Sammy 2 to sammy 3, sammy 3 to sammy 4. And sammy's also the "other" phone. I'm leaving apple, what do i get, the most popular, sammy, that's what. And that's how people operate.

You don't know anyone of the millions taking their phones for runs and posting results to social media?

Okay, if you say so.

We aren't talking about Google Now, which is on every phone, and iOS. We're talking about touchless Controls which are a Moto selling point right now.

I use my phone as a roku remote. Apple users use iTunes/Apple TV remote. If I had an IR sensor, you bet I'd use it, heavily. And I'd use the pedometer, too.

The amount of people who want to converse with a machine is a lot lower than those who use want a more capable one that allows them to further consolidate the number of devices they have to juggle.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You don't know anyone of the millions taking their phones for runs and posting results to social media?

Okay, if you say so.

We aren't talking about Google Now, which is on every phone, and iOS. We're talking about touchless Controls which are a Moto selling point right now.

I use my phone as a roku remote. Apple users use iTunes/Apple TV remote. If I had an IR sensor, you bet I'd use it, heavily. And I'd use the pedometer, too.

The amount of people who want to converse with a machine is a lot lower than those who use want a more capable one that allows them to further consolidate the number of devices they have to juggle.

Most people I know are using Nike Fuelbands and Fitbits - not directly from their phones.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Most people I know are using Nike Fuelbands and Fitbits - not directly from their phones.

Because their phones don't have the hardware to make them largely redundant. You're missing the point. If you don't have the pedometer etc then you need the fuel band, yes...

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Okay, if you say so.

I want an IR blaster, but no, my friends on social media post that they got the new iPhone, but never heard anyone post about new functions on their phones. They're always on about politics, their boyfriends, their achievements, new jobs, new haircuts, but never seen anyone talk about their phone features, not even myself and i love my phone. But for your friends who are posting about their IR blasters, it's because that's what their new sammy has, they got the new sammy and they sound like they're very excited about it. that's great. : ). I too hope i get one someday, but the average person does not use it, and it's the average person who's going into the store and buying the most popular item. And the people excited about their fingerprint scanner were always going to buy that new iPhone.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I want an IR blaster, but no, my friends on social media post that they got the new iPhone, but never heard anyone post about new functions on their phones. They're always on about politics, their boyfriends, their achievements, new jobs, new haircuts, but never seen anyone talk about their phone features, not even myself and i love my phone. But for your friends who are posting about their IR blasters, it's because that's what their new sammy has, they got the new sammy and they sound like they're very excited about it. that's great. : ). I too hope i get one someday, but the average person does not use it, and it's the average person who's going into the store and buying the most popular item.

Did you read my post, at all?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Did you read my post, at all?

Do you need me to break up the post for you? Oh, never mind, i see i'm the 2nd person you think if they disagree with you they've missed something. Dude, we get it, we disagree.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! It helps a little. Honestly I'll be curious to see how this thing performs when I'm not using it 12 hours a day straight. Always the way with new toys!

The part about IR blasters had nothing to do with what I said people post on FB. Don't be mad. Just make sure you read what you're responding to.

Changing a channel on your TV doesn't prompt you for a social update...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Because their phones don't have the hardware to make them largely redundant. You're missing the point. If you don't have the pedometer etc then you need the fuel band, yes...

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

They're not upgrading to phones like the iPhone 5S for those features. They're using accessories.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Touchless controls are as nice as Siri, S Voice, or Google Now. They aren't all that practical in real world use - no matter how hard some may force themselves to use them, most people just want to use their phones, not talk to them.

Why would someone force themselves to use a feature. It's either useful or it's not. I use Touchless Control all the time while I'm driving.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Phones have driving mode that works.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

2. Better than a One X, S3, G, G Pro, i4S, i5, L92x? Well, whatever floats your boat... Not from the Samples I've taken with the camera (I view them on a large calibrated display, not a smartphone screen, BTW).

Touchless controls are as nice as Siri, S Voice, or Google Now. They aren't all that practical in real world use - no matter how hard some may force themselves to use them, most people just want to use their phones, not talk to them. Judging from my FB News feed, more people are apt to buy the 5S for the M7 sensor or a S4 for the Pedometer/S Health/IR Blaster, etc. than a Moto X for some Touchless Controls, and the cameras on those devices are clearly better than the Moto X - pictures and video also litter my news feed and I have friends record my practices all the time. I'd want them using the best camera phone available if they're going to do that...
You are hypocrisy personified.

Clearly, people only care about the tech you care about.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Do you know if what hypocrisy is?

Or did you mean contradiction? I still disagree.

What you accuse me of is no different than what I'm reading in this thread, i.e. Ry's responses.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Comparing driving mode to Touchless Control tells me you don't really know what you're talking about.

I'm not comparing anything. I simply said phones have a driving mode that works, which is enough for most people. It's that simple. I've never felt the need to have more than that and this phones sales performance says that many others feel similarly. 500k in launch month is terrible considering what other OEM are pushing, and with Motorola brand at the moment you can't really expect much better... Android is too saturated to expect most OEM to perform significantly better at this point.

No need for you guys to be so defensive :)

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm not comparing anything. I simply said phones have a driving mode that works, which is enough for most people. It's that simple. I've never felt the need to have more than that and this phones sales performance says that many others feel similarly. 500k in launch month is terrible considering what other OEM are pushing.

No need for you guys to be so defensive :)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Sure it's enough for most people. So is a phone can only make calls and send texts. My point is that it's a feature that's very useful in everyday tasks and not something that people would force themselves to use like you said.

I mean seriously...who does that? I previously had an S3 and I didn't force myself to use about 95% of the features because I had no use for them.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Sure it's enough for most people. So is a phone can only make calls and send texts. My point is that it's a feature that's very useful in everyday tasks and not something that people would force themselves to use like you said.

I mean seriously...who does that? I previously had an S3 and I didn't force myself to use about 95% of the features because I had no use for them.

Lots of people do that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana