Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think of the Moto X as the iPhone of the Android world. Whether you see that as a good thing or a bad thing is up to you :p

Posted via Android Central App

I'd reverse that and say the 5s is the Moto X of the iOS world. Sure, you can get a 5c or 5 or whatever, but the one with the most genius in it is the 5s. As far as the iPhone of Android, I'm inclined to think of that as the Samsung Galaxy S4, a product that is solid in its own right, yet easily beaten by other devices that are, despite their awesome-sauce, do not sell nearly as well. Of course, in design perhaps the One is closer, etc.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd reverse that and say the 5s is the Moto X of the iOS world. Sure, you can get a 5c or 5 or whatever, but the one with the most genius in it is the 5s. As far as the iPhone of Android, I'm inclined to think of that as the Samsung Galaxy S4, a product that is solid in its own right, yet easily beaten by other devices that are, despite their awesome-sauce, do not sell nearly as well. Of course, in design perhaps the One is closer, etc.

It doesn't work the other way around though because there is only one kind of phone with the iOS platform. The iPhone. If you say the 5S is the Moto X of iOS then what are the 5 and 5C? They're just lesser models in terms of hardware but other than that they are exactly the same.
The iPhone is a flagship device with "mid-range" specs yet it manages to outperform most devices in a lot of categories. The Moto X is almost exactly the same in that manner. Except for the camera of course :p

Last edited:

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I think of the Moto X as the iPhone of the Android world. Whether you see that as a good thing or a bad thing is up to you :p

The iPhone 5s isn't beaten by any device. Only a blind fanboy would think that any other phone was better. Camera, speed, tech, price, build quality, resale value.

I agree that the moto x is a lot like the iPhone of the android world. Balancing and making decisions and coming out with the best overall product. And it's got some innovative features none of its competitors can match.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't work the other way around though because there is only one kind of phone with the iOS platform. The iPhone. It you say the 5S is the Moto X of iOS then what is the 5 AMD 5C? They're just lesser models in terms of hardware but other than that they are exactly the same.
The iPhone is a flagship device with "mid-range" specs yet ital manages to outperform most devices in a lot of categories. The Moto X is almost exactly the same in that manner. Except for the camera of course :p

Insert sarcasm: What? There are 9 variations of the 5s, 10 versions of the 5c, and that's before putting on cases! That's WAY more variety than only having 4 Nexus 5 versions, etc.

You can get Gold 32GB, Gold 16GB...

Insert serious: I get what you're saying, but in the Android world, "iPhone" has a lot of philosophical connotations that are not necessarily favorable to the Moto X receiving that distinction without qualification.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5s isn't beaten by any device. Only a blind fanboy would think that any other phone was better. Camera, speed, tech, price, build quality, resale value.

I agree that the moto x is a lot like the iPhone of the android world. Balancing and making decisions and coming out with the best overall product. And it's got some innovative features none of its competitors can match.

I'm going to caution you against insulting forums members. There is a HUGE and lively debate about what "better" even means, let alone which devices earn the title.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't work the other way around though because there is only one kind of phone with the iOS platform. The iPhone. It you say the 5S is the Moto X of iOS then what is the 5 AMD 5C? They're just lesser models in terms of hardware but other than that they are exactly the same.
The iPhone is a flagship device with "mid-range" specs yet ital manages to outperform most devices in a lot of categories. The Moto X is almost exactly the same in that manner. Except for the camera of course :p

Can we PLEASE get a little reality check in here? The iPhone hate is unreal. There is nothing mid-range about the 5s. You guys that think so should read an unbiased review or 2. Just go read anandtech's unbelievable review. So thorough. And it thoroughly debunks this nonsense. I know you're all android fans and that's fine but don't be dense. It weakens your credibility.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 5s isn't beaten by any device. Only a blind fanboy would think that any other phone was better.

Uh, what? Are you sure you should be casting stones about blind fanboys?

Camera, speed, tech, price, build quality, resale value.

Most phones have cameras that are good enough for me.

I don't even care about resale value because I don't resell my phones. That is never even a consideration.

What is "tech"?

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Uh, what? Are you sure you should be casting stones about blind fanboys?
I have no problem being called a fanboy. However, I'm not blind - remember I actually switched from an iPhone to a moto x.
Most phones have cameras that are good enough for me.

I don't even care about resale value because I don't resell my phones. That is never even a consideration.

What is "tech"?

Tech - touch id and the A7 and M7 processors. And since when is "good enough for me" a criterion any self-respecting gadget nerd bought into? :D

As far as resale value, it should matter to you if you care about maximizing your dollar. If not, don't worry about it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Can we PLEASE get a little reality check in here? The iPhone hate is unreal. There is nothing mid-range about the 5s. You guys that think so should read an unbiased review or 2. Just go read anandtech's unbelievable review. So thorough. And it thoroughly debunks this nonsense. I know you're all android fans and that's fine but don't be dense. It weakens your credibility.

2nd request, check the tone. Love to hear your opinions, but will not tolerate baseless insults against forum members. Calling people fanboys and attacking their "credibility" for disagreeing with you are not going to work out well. No one was "hating" on the iPhone at all from what I have read so far.

There's no debate about the things I listed. They are empirically proven.

1. Camera: Close to the top in smart phones, many think it's the best. There is still a debate and it depends on what metics, for what type(s) of photo, etc. For most people the iPhone camera works better out of the box with no fiddling, but not everyone.
2. Speed: The A7 does amazing things in benchmarks, on par with and exceeding the S800 in most tests, despite having fewer cores and a lower clock speed. Faster in day to day operation is not accurate when comparing speed and ease of switching between apps, sharing content, browsing, etc. That's heavily dependent on the OS. So depending on if you mean processing power or UI speed, either true or not. Consumers should care only about the latter, because we don't operate in a theoretical world.
3. Tech: The X8 is much more "advanced" than the S800 and A7 in terms of chip engineering, however "tech" requires a lot more elaboration and probably shouldn't be one bullet
4. Price: The iPhone is $649 for the cheapest version, whereas the Moto X is $499 for the same storage size. The Nexus is $349. Obviously false by a huge margin.
5. Build Quality: This has been proven to be false untold times. People appreciate the quality of parts and the build materials (much less so in the 5s compared to earlier versions), but it doesn't seem to have any actual better design integrity than many Android flagship devices. What it DOES have is a much easier process of getting mistakes in production repaired or replaced.
6. Resale Value: Usually true, however the gap is quickly becoming minimal with the increasing popularity of sites like Swappa, etc and as people get more used to device hopping.

Of those 6 things, 1 is "true", 4 are heavily debatable and 1 is outright false. As I said, what is objectively better depends on what, "better" means, which means defining a usage case. "Better at what?"

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

You're calling me a fanboy for having an opinion when you're the one defending the iPhone and saying no other phone is as good. Good job :)

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
As far as resale value, it should matter to you if you care about maximizing your dollar.

The only things that "should" matter to me are the things that actually matter to me.

I haven't owned anything from the Apple ecosystem in 15+ years. Their products are entirely irrelevant to me, so based on that I wouldn't consider the iPhone the best phone.

3. Tech: The X8 is much more "advanced" than the S800 and A7 in terms of chip engineering, however "tech" requires a lot more elaboration and probably shouldn't be one bullet
4. Price: The iPhone is $649 for the cheapest version, whereas the Moto X is $499 for the same storage size. The Nexus is $349. Obviously false by a huge margin.

Stop making sense.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The screen isn't mid-range? Not even 720P and even that would be "mid-range." Obviously it doesn't look bad, neither does the Moto X's screen but it still costs Apple less than a 1080P panel would.
Also, notice that I put quotes around it. I know it is still better than a lot of phones that have come out this year, but I said it like that because "spec-whores" look at it and think the technology is outdated.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Can we PLEASE get a little reality check in here? The iPhone hate is unreal.

No hate from me. The iPhone is a great phone but I prefer the Moto X and I've owned both an iPhone and an iPad.

You're posting on an Android forum so it's natural that people are going to express their preference for Android phones. If you go over to an iOS forum, you'll hear mostly disdain for any sort of Android device. Is it what it is.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Other than that you can potentially cram more battery into the same sized phone by not using up space with a door and stuff, what advantage is there to a non-removable battery?

Not worrying about it or the battery cover getting lost if dropped, not coming out if dropped. I think the few phones I had with non removable batteries never turned off when I dropped them. SD card got dislodged and I had to reboot to read the card again. Finding out that a small external battery is somewhat convenient. No need to power the device down, just plug it in and put everything in your pocket...if possible. Ppl that have spare batteries on hand....its still extra hardware you carry around. I got a lil Anker 5600 mAh external battery. Very small. And it doubles as a flashlight....that has come in handy in recent days.

That said....it would be nice if all phones with non removable batteries had 2500 mAh batteries and up

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Not worrying about it or the battery cover getting lost if dropped, not coming out if dropped. I think the few phones I had with non removable batteries never turned off when I dropped them...
Okay. These are all problems I have never had, despite having owned a large number of small gadgets with replaceable batteries, from the Palm Pilot on.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I got a lil Anker 5600 mAh external battery. Very small. And it doubles as a flashlight....that has come in handy in recent days.

Multiple ports on my external battery pack make it a conversation starter. Came in handy at Comic-Con and waiting for flights.

That said....it would be nice if all phones with non removable batteries had 2500 mAh batteries and up

Having the Moto X makes me feel like 2500 mAh isn't needed. The 2200 mAh has been excellent.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Multiple ports on my external battery pack make it a conversation starter. Came in handy at Comic-Con and waiting for flights.

Having the Moto X makes me feel like 2500 mAh isn't needed. The 2200 mAh has been excellent.
Just imagine if it had 2500 o_O
It's impressive that they managed to fit such a large battery in a phone barely larger than the iPhone. The 5S only has 1500 something, what they do with all the space in there? :eek: