1st day with MOTO X, worried about battery

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Average use I'm getting is 14 hours off battery, with average of about 3 hours screen on time with 40% battery left at the end of the day. Wifi on and gps on. Not bad...

3 hours screen with almost half the battery left isn't "not bad," it's pretty friggin' awesome in my book! :D

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I picked up an X yesterday to replace my Droid Bionic. I settled on the X because of many reviews which despite the small internal battery alluded to very good battery life due to low powered hardware and features. This was expected to improve while once it updated from JB to KK.
Upon activation it went through its many updates including getting KIT-KAT, but battery life seems a bit troubling. I went into settings and did some of the power saving features like lowering brightness and disabling GPS. Any other important features I should look at which could be bleeding battery power?

Thanks

People usualy use their phone much more for the first few days or week, even if they don't realize it. I'd give it a week or two and then decide about the battery life.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Does wakelock work with Kitkat? I read it didn't so I didn't install it to see what was the real culprit.

The apps do not, but you can get a general idea by looking at your batter stats and clicking on History Details and looking at "Awake" vs "Screen On" time.

Posted via Android Central App

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That's a very good point. I've got the AT&T version, so that could be a major difference. I've read the Verizon version has more bloat than the other carrier versions...do you see that to be true? With the AT&T version there are only 3 carrier apps and they can easily be disabled. I just wonder if the Verizon version has more bloat and if this contributes to any battery drain?

Sent from my Moto X

Well, the point isn't so much that there is X number of bloatware apps on the Verizon Moto X versus Y number of bloatware apps on [insert other carrier here]'s Moto X. The point is that the software differs in some way, and the hardware differs also (different radios for different frequencies). There are so many different things to factor into the equation here. You really have to be very careful when making any comparisons for these reasons.

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!

So what is it about the moto x dual rapid charger that makes it rapid?

A little confused on something, if full charge makes so little difference then why stop at the 85-90%?

My guess is that it is referred to as "rapid" because it is capable of supplying the current required for a one hour charge. 1.6A for the Moto X. Lower current chargers cannot, so the charge rate is lower..... ie., "slow charge". The phone still controls the maximum charge rate, regardless of how much current any given power supply can supply. As far as I know. Has anyone seen any phone charge from 0 to 100% in less than an hour?

My guess is that charging stops at around 90-95% because the charging circuit does not stop charging.... it just holds the voltage at that level until the USB cord is disconnected. As such, holding at 100% will degrade the battery if the phone remains connected for long periods. It is also possible that charging does NOT stop when the battery gauge jumps to 100% but continues past that point. That is what my Nokia 820 did. If you took it off charge as soon as it declared it was at 100%, it would start falling from 100% immediately. But if you left it on charge another hour or so, it could take as long as 5-6 hours to fall below 100%.

This is all educated guesswork on my part. Motorola does not see fit (as far as I know) to inform us exactly how the battery charge system behaves. I do know that my Moto X starts falling from 100% as soon as I take it off charge, regardless of how long it was on charge. And it does not seem to drop below 100% UNTIL I take it off charge. That would imply that it does not charge above what it calls 100%, and it does not discontinue charging when it reaches 100% but holds it there. Soon as I find a battery monitor that works with KK I'll do some testing.

Paul

Dsat1908

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had my AT&T Moto X since it came out. Got the 4.4 update yesterday and immediately noticed lag others have reported. I tried the ART runtime which improved performance but RunKeeper's GPS didn't work and I use that app so I did a factory reset and went back to Dalvik. No more lag after the factory reset (it reset to 4.4 unfortunately, was hoping to go back to 4.2.2). HOWEVER battery drain is a real issue. I've had this phone for over two months so I know what is abnormal and 4.4 is sucking the battery dry. sent a text to my son, battery was at 70%, 35 minutes later with hardly touching the phone it was down to 56%. That is NOT good. I called AT&T and they are willing to send me a replacement (same custom colors so they say) but I'm going to give it a couple of days and AT&T is supposed to call me back Monday to see how the battery issue it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've already turned on the battery saver feature and set brightness to AUTO, both things I didn't have to do on 4.2.2.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My wife was on WiFi at the house all day and was off charger for about 15 hours, had 5-1/2 hours of screen time and was down to 30% when she went to bed. Most of it was on Facebook, texting and web browsing (she's not into games or graphic-intensive apps). She could have achieved nearly 8 hours of screen time at that rate before it hit zero. All I can say is....WOW.

I play games and browse a lot of news and such via Pulse and was on pace for ~4 hours of screen time before I would have hit zero, including a couple hours on LTE. Sadly, I still constantly worry about battery life even at 75% because of my trauma with the Galaxy Nexus and its absolutely horrid battery life.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had my AT&T Moto X since it came out. Got the 4.4 update yesterday and immediately noticed lag others have reported. I tried the ART runtime which improved performance but RunKeeper's GPS didn't work and I use that app so I did a factory reset and went back to Dalvik. No more lag after the factory reset (it reset to 4.4 unfortunately, was hoping to go back to 4.2.2). HOWEVER battery drain is a real issue. I've had this phone for over two months so I know what is abnormal and 4.4 is sucking the battery dry. sent a text to my son, battery was at 70%, 35 minutes later with hardly touching the phone it was down to 56%. That is NOT good. I called AT&T and they are willing to send me a replacement (same custom colors so they say) but I'm going to give it a couple of days and AT&T is supposed to call me back Monday to see how the battery issue it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've already turned on the battery saver feature and set brightness to AUTO, both things I didn't have to do on 4.2.2.

Man this seems fishy.. Can you try to turn location services off and see how things go for a day?

bryantest

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So...I was experiencing pretty quick battery drain after Kitkat update (doesn't help if I only had one bar of WiFi signal althrougout)..so I decided to act upon tommy's suggestions.
a) clear partition cache
b) factory reset)
c) clear partition cache again

100% charged. Wifi on- couple of emails on sync...weak Wifi signal again (one bar)...no gps and location services turned on..did a lot of FB posting, websurfing and youtube watching...these are the results

You guys think these are up to par? thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-24-09-53-07.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-24-09-53-07.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2013-11-24-09-53-12.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-24-09-53-12.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2013-11-24-09-53-24.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-24-09-53-24.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 41

Traprock

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
After a full day of light use I managed 50% after 13 hours at work which is great. My bionic would have been ready to die at that point. I resisted the urge to constantly fiddle with the phone but still checked FB a bunch of times and texted back and forth. So, I guess I was worried over nothing. Keeping track of it throughout the day, I dropped 10% the first hour, then 3-4% each hour after that. I can definitely live with that. I no longer will be a slave to my phone charger.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
My X had awful battery life for the first week I had it. It just keeps getting better from there on out though!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
My X had awful battery life for the first week I had it. It just keeps getting better from there on out though!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Same with me!, wasn't horrible just not as good as everyone said now it seems to be getting better 1385443082672.jpg

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

Dsat1908

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Last Sunday it was REALLY cold in the south so I decided to do a 3rd factory reset. That reduced battery drain but the power is still draining faster than on 4.2.2. A new MOTO X arrives Friday so I'll see how that does after I log into Google, download my apps, set the phone up and run it for a few days.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Most of my battery usage is from "android OS" and then screen, is this normal? I get to about 20% at 10pm , unplug at 7am . less then 2hrs screen time. Most days no voice calls. Most screen time is spent on hangouts. I got my phone with 4.4 so can't compare to 4.2.2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dtwitch19

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Most of my battery usage is from "android OS" and then screen, is this normal? I get to about 20% at 10pm , unplug at 7am . less then 2hrs screen time. Most days no voice calls. Most screen time is spent on hangouts. I got my phone with 4.4 so can't compare to 4.2.2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. I bought the Moto X (Verizon) with 4.4 installed but have only had phone for a week. Have to charge every day with minimal use. It's 100% when I take it off the charger and drops 5% or so an hour with no use and a full rack of signal. Is it a bad unit? I've done the battery learning procedure to no avail but haven't tried the factory reset or partition clear.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I bought the Moto X (Verizon) with 4.4 installed but have only had phone for a week. Have to charge every day with minimal use. It's 100% when I take it off the charger and drops 5% or so an hour with no use and a full rack of signal. Is it a bad unit? I've done the battery learning procedure to no avail but haven't tried the factory reset or partition clear.

What's your signal like during the whole day? As good as home? On WiFi any? Have you checked to see if the device is entering deep sleep under battery stats? Some screen shots might help us!

Maybe this thread can help?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=348630

Dtwitch19

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
What's your signal like during the whole day? As good as home? On WiFi any? Have you checked to see if the device is entering deep sleep under battery stats? Some screen shots might help us!

Maybe this thread can help?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=348630

Thanks. My signal is good all day and I'm on WiFi 95% of the time. I did most of the suggestions. I'll report back after a couple of days.

Dtwitch19

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Here are some screenshots:

e7ypemem.jpg

ynebatyp.jpg

zy3u4abe.jpg

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390340298930.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390340298930.jpg