Moto X cyber monday sale

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
While I'm not positive, I think the reason there's confusion is because there are two different programs that are going on.

As I understand it, Verizon is offering a "Trade-in" program that didn't look that great when I studied it - a person would be better off selling their phone on their own. The other program is offered by Motorola and it provides a $100 Gift Card to people who buy a new Motorola smartphone and trade-in an eligible device - in this case the eligible devices are the phones that didn't get an upgrade to Jelly Bean.

I recall the controversy when Motorola, just after Google took control, indicated that all of their resources were being directed toward future devices and accordingly some recent phones were not going to be upgraded to Jelly Bean. As a peace offering Motorola offered the $100 trade-in program mentioned above.

Well the whole thing is a mess to be honest. The stores do not have updated information, I saw the print-out the manager had, and it was behind on what new devices were even eligible.

So I could be wrong, but as I understand it if you are doing the Motorola Trade-Up program and buying a Verizon phone, there's an agreement between them that Verizon will administrate the program. This seems to be a recent change, because it was only recently that Motorola's own site started specifically directing people to go to a Verizon store to have this done. The problem is, it appears (or so I'm told) that there's no way in the system for a store to process this except as part of a 2-year contract process (which has zero to do with the program). They really didn't know what to do with me, and tried to tell me in several different ways that I was not eligible. That's when I started talking with a support rep on the phone, who acknowledged I'm eligible but they didn't know how to administrate it. They were going to put the credit directly on my account if I handed over the old phone to the store manager, but then got cold feet and asked me to first call Motorola to see if they could find a different way to process this (which they did).

So again, long story short, Motorola will take care of this, but you have to put in that you are buying a non-Verizon phone so that you are directed to ship the phone directly to them.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Well the whole thing is a mess to be honest. The stores do not have updated information, I saw the print-out the manager had, and it was behind on what new devices were even eligible.

So I could be wrong, but as I understand it if you are doing the Motorola Trade-Up program and buying a Verizon phone, there's an agreement between them that Verizon will administrate the program. This seems to be a recent change, because it was only recently that Motorola's own site started specifically directing people to go to a Verizon store to have this done. The problem is, it appears (or so I'm told) that there's no way in the system for a store to process this except as part of a 2-year contract process (which has zero to do with the program). They really didn't know what to do with me, and tried to tell me in several different ways that I was not eligible. That's when I started talking with a support rep on the phone, who acknowledged I'm eligible but they didn't know how to administrate it. They were going to put the credit directly on my account if I handed over the old phone to the store manager, but then got cold feet and asked me to first call Motorola to see if they could find a different way to process this (which they did).

So again, long story short, Motorola will take care of this, but you have to put in that you are buying a non-Verizon phone so that you are directed to ship the phone directly to them.

Are you doing the deal where you get $100 for a trade in because the Motorola device will not be updated to Jelly Bean?

If so, you (and anyone else who reads this post) can circumvent the Verizon store and just follow this link - click here Click on the red "Get Started" button and you'll eventually get to a screen that tells you where to send the old phone and proof of purchase for the new phone. You'll get your $100 Gift Card by mail.

For some people it's probably easier to go to a Verizon store, for others they'd rather not risk the hassle/waste of time you experienced and just complete the process by mail.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you doing the deal where you get $100 for a trade in because the Motorola device will not be updated to Jelly Bean?

If so, you (and anyone else who reads this post) can circumvent the Verizon store and just follow this link - click here Click on the red "Get Started" button and you'll eventually get to a screen that tells you where to send the old phone and proof of purchase for the new phone. You'll get your $100 Gift Card by mail.

For some people it's probably easier to go to a Verizon store, for others they'd rather not risk the hassle/waste of time you experienced and just complete the process by mail.

I think the Verizon trade in process is a little different. When you click start the process and choose the phone you want to get, if you click a phone for verizon it says bring your phone to the store trade it in when you purchase and activate your phone.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

I think the Verizon trade in process is a little different. When you click start the process and choose the phone you want to get, if you click a phone for verizon it says bring your phone to the store trade it in when you purchase and activate your phone.

Yes, and that's been the point of my posts here. Motorola's website tells you to go to the Verizon store to do the Trade-Up process for a Verizon phone, which if you aren't purchasing in store -and- signing a 2-year contract they apparently are unable to do. This is a problem. Either bad/wrong info is at the store level on how to deal with this, their system isn't set up to be deal with this or there was a huge miscommunication between Motorola and Verizon.

Again, Motorola (in my case) had me process the Trade-Up as a non-Verizon phone so that they could issue me the Visa card directly and bypass Verizon completely.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. You're NOT upgrading if you're buying a phone at full retail. If you are going through Amazon or Wirefly and are getting a phone at a discounted price, then you are UPGRADING and signing a new contract. If you buy from the carrier or manufacturer at full retail cost (or discounted cost in the case of the Moto sale on Monday), then you are NOT UPGRADING your device/contract with the carrier.

It is that simple.

Jesus man, I misread your post and was only giving my experience, I was polite and even said on were probably right - I don't think the tone of your response was necessary at all. . . Sorry I misunderstood, you are absolutely right ... I didn't realize we were talking full retail. . . Geez...

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Jesus man, I misread your post and was only giving my experience, I was polite and even said on were probably right - I don't think the tone of your response was necessary at all. . . Sorry I misunderstood, you are absolutely right ... I didn't realize we were talking full retail. . . Geez...

Wow sensitive? I dont think he was being nasty one bit.. Just trying to emphasize the point.

Posted via Android Central App

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow sensitive? I dont think he was being nasty one bit.. Just trying to emphasize the point.

Posted via Android Central App

Well that could depend on a number of factors; such as he could have just simply said "I think you are mistaken, we are talking about full retail not upgrading" . . Comments such as "why is this so hard to understand" etc communicate impatience and imply the other person lacks understanding instead of simple misunderstanding . . and injecting yourself into someone else's issue isn't very wise either . . . And I don't think I used the word nasty in my response, fwiw . . .

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding . . .

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I was simply adding emphasis as several people seem to be misunderstanding how it works. Calm down...it's all good. ;)

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I was simply adding emphasis as several people seem to be misunderstanding how it works. Calm down...it's all good. ;)

OK fine . . I don't think I'm as upset as you guys think . . But because you quoted my post it appeared as though you were directing your comments to me specifically . . Yes, it's all good here too ;-)

So, on a happier note, how do you like your Moto X?

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
OK fine . . I don't think I'm as upset as you guys think . . But because you quoted my post it appeared as though you were directing your comments to me specifically . . Yes, it's all good here too ;-)

So, on a happier note, how do you like your Moto X?

Hands down the best phone I've ever used. I got the black one on VZW on launch day and am hoping to score a Motomaker version on Cyber Monday. My wife was impressed enough that she got a Motomaker version (on contract) when she was eligible for an upgrade and couldn't be happier with her switch to it from her iPhone 4.

AMDman18

May 27, 2010
Visit site
So I think I know the answer to this, but can anyone confirm or deny if verizon will match the cyber monday prices when using the edge program?

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
You might want to see the color choices in person....

Just a quick FYI - I was at a Verizon Corporate Store yesterday and they had a display that had most of the MotoMaker custom colors so you could see the colors in person.

I read a complaint following a YouTube video that the blue colors offered were actually much darker than what MotoMaker shows on their website. Since I was thinking about getting a Navy Blue phone I wanted to see the colors in person. The display at Verizon didn't have the Navy Blue but it had the Royal Blue which is what I decided I wanted. As dark as Royal Blue is, I'm guessing that Navy Blue must almost be black. :confused:

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: You might want to see the color choices in person....

Just a quick FYI - I was at a Verizon Corporate Store yesterday and they had a display that had most of the MotoMaker custom colors so you could see the colors in person.

I read a complaint following a YouTube video that the blue colors offered were actually much darker than what MotoMaker shows on their website. Since I was thinking about getting a Navy Blue phone I wanted to see the colors in person. The display at Verizon didn't have the Navy Blue but it had the Royal Blue which is what I decided I wanted. As dark as Royal Blue is, I'm guessing that Navy Blue must almost be black. :confused:

Are you going white or black front? I'm considering a royal blue back but every vid I've seen on youtube shows it with a white front, not sure how well it will look with the black front.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

Just wondering about the trade in program. My friend has a MOTOROLA TRIUMPH will he be able to do the trade in and get the Verizon model off-contract? No issue, if the triumph is rooted too? Or will that be a problem.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

From the real navy pix I have seen they don't look dark, they look navy. And royal looks royal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I made a comment a couple of months ago commenting on the non-life-like color palette on the site and got some bitter responses (not sure why). I've been saying all along that the colors on the site don't look right. They seem too pastel and cartoon-ish compared to the real deal. I'm glad I checked out the real backs at the local AT&T store. It made my wife and me much more confident in our selections.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

Are you going white or black front? I'm considering a royal blue back but every vid I've seen on youtube shows it with a white front, not sure how well it will look with the black front.

I'm going with the black front and the silver accent color.

The only video I watched on YouTube that showed a non-standard color for the Moto X featured a white front on a Royal Blue back:

here's the link

In fact, that's the YouTube video that had the comment concerning one person's opinion that the colors on MotoMaker are not 100% reflective of what you'll get.