The next X...No Specs Allowed!

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Play playlists instead of just artist/song. I'd like to be tell it to "play <playlist>" or better still, "shuffle <playlist>." Also play any of my Google Play radio stations. I'd also like to see a driving mode for Google Play Music with bigger buttons.

More app support. I'd like to be able to open TuneIn and play a radio station without touching the phone.

Basically, make music while driving work better/safer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Play playlists instead of just artist/song. I'd like to be tell it to "play <playlist>" or better still, "shuffle <playlist>." Also play any of my Google Play radio stations. I'd also like to see a driving mode for Google Play Music with bigger buttons.

Would probably need an update to Google Now and Google Play Music to support this. A Motorola X "2" is not needed.

More app support. I'd like to be able to open TuneIn and play a radio station without touching the phone.

Would probably need an update to Google Now and TuneIn to support this. A Motorola X "2" is not needed.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would like a little more customizability with the quick settings bar. With my galaxy nexus I had a custom quick settings and it was nice to throw a flashlight in there etc but now I barely even use anything in there.

If Motorola adds this, it's because AOSP added it. Kind of goes against their software strategy if they do this on their own now.

I would really like touch less controls to be expanded. Say I wanted to toggle blue tooth maybe be able to tell the phone to do that.

An update to Google Now or Touchless Controls could probably add this. No new phone needed.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I believe an app called swipe pad allows you to do this :)

Posted via Android Central App

I have seen that app and it's similar, but not the same and more cumbersome to use than the default buttons. Thanks for the tip though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have seen that app and it's similar, but not the same and more cumbersome to use than the default buttons. Thanks for the tip though.

Sure thing. Someone was talking about it yesterday because they wanted to avoid pressing the physical home button too much, haven't used it myself though

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Feature/setting:

Let us to be able to set megapixel size of picture/video before taking it.
Not every picture needs to be 10 megapixels, and not every video we record needs to be in 1080 quality.
Presets, Maybe something such as : Small (2mp), Medium (5mp), Large (10mp)
This can help phones memory not to fill up too fast, plus can make camera's speed quicker since you're writing smaller amount of mb.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
All the next moto x needs is a better camera and improved amoled or even an LCD display. Its already plenty fast.

As I understand, the AMOLED screen optimizes Active Notifications as the entire screen does not need to be lit and thus conserves battery. Having said that, Dynamic Notifications,which is a similar app, was loaded on my N5 at one point, but I don't believe there was a huge battery drain despite that it has an LCD screen. Of course, this is not a true apples to apples comparison.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I guess I didn't communicate very well since people don't seem to be grasping the spirit of what I meant this thread to be. I was looking more for things that everybody isn't already talking about. Everyone wants a better camera experience. There's a whole front page column on AC about what Samsung is doing to better their camera. I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for things that will really get the X to take the mobile experience to the next level. The kinds of things that are in the video I posted.
Some people have touched on expanded voice commands and I think that's a great start. Imagine you wake up and don't feel well enough to go to work. You say "Ok Google Now, I'm sick" and your boss automatically gets sent a message that you're sick and won't be coming to work.
Or you have Assist activated while you're driving, you get into a crash and the X automatically detects that and sends a message to 911 with details about what happened and where it happened.
One that would be great for me:I'm diabetic and I always have to download results of my blood sugar tests and send them to my doctor. What if the X could communicate with my meter and automatically send those results to my doctor at whatever interval I set up.
I know some of those thing are more than just updating the X, they would have to work with outside companies to get the communication between the phone and other devices, but this is the direction I think Moto wants the X to go in and the kinds of things I want to see in the next X.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
In descending order:

A Nexus X on VZW

Unlocked bootloader in an appealing color scheme

Functioning unrooted tethering.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess I didn't communicate very well since people don't seem to be grasping the spirit of what I meant this thread to be. I was looking more for things that everybody isn't already talking about. Everyone wants a better camera experience. There's a whole front page column on AC about what Samsung is doing to better their camera. I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for things that will really get the X to take the mobile experience to the next level. The kinds of things that are in the video I posted.
Some people have touched on expanded voice commands and I think that's a great start. Imagine you wake up and don't feel well enough to go to work. You say "Ok Google Now, I'm sick" and your boss automatically gets sent a message that you're sick and won't be coming to work.
Or you have Assist activated while you're driving, you get into a crash and the X automatically detects that and sends a message to 911 with details about what happened and where it happened.
One that would be great for me:I'm diabetic and I always have to download results of my blood sugar tests and send them to my doctor. What if the X could communicate with my meter and automatically send those results to my doctor at whatever interval I set up.
I know some of those thing are more than just updating the X, they would have to work with outside companies to get the communication between the phone and other devices, but this is the direction I think Moto wants the X to go in and the kinds of things I want to see in the next X.

Here's the thing. Yes. The next X will likely have better specs. Better specs means newer processor, maybe more RAM, maybe a better camera, maybe higher storage options. It seems like you're looking for software. And what has Motorola built so far?

Touchless Controls
Motorola Assist
Trusted Bluetooth
Motorola Camera

Expanding functionality may not even require a new phone for those four features. And your blood sugar example? Another app can handle that. You're looking for things that Motorola should add to the next phone. They could probably already do them with the current phone.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing. Yes. The next X will likely have better specs. Better specs means newer processor, maybe more RAM, maybe a better camera, maybe higher storage options. It seems like you're looking for software. And what has Motorola built so far?

Touchless Controls
Motorola Assist
Trusted Bluetooth
Motorola Camera

Expanding functionality may not even require a new phone for those four features. And your blood sugar example? Another app can handle that. You're looking for things that Motorola should add to the next phone. They could probably already do them with the current phone.

I realize the next X will have a spec bump, which is why I didn't want those suggestions in this thread since they're coming anyway.
I don't know if the X as-is can handle the expanded functionality or not which is why I'm mentioning it as something for the next, improved version.
As far as my blood sugar example, there is no app that will allow the phone to pull the readings from my meter and send it to my doctor automatically, without any interaction at all from me aside from the initial setup, which is what I would like to be able to do.
I would really like to hear what ideas you have for the next X. Like I said in my OP, its a simple question with a not so simple answer.

bclenney

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I find it very annoying that almost every time I see something really cool, they say OH, and you need Root. Ugh... I want my warranty too. (and I wanted to Moto-Maker, so I could not do the Dev Ed)

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I find it very annoying that almost every time I see something really cool, they say OH, and you need Root.
If you find a good adblocker that doesn't require root, please do let me know.

As for warranty issues, unroot before sending it in. Wasn't an issue with my last few phones.

TheNexusMan

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Wood backs (at launch); the headphone jack moved to the bottom; wireless charging; a better camera; expansion of features in the Motorola Assist app, like Trusted Wifi in addition to Trusted Bluetooth; a slightly bigger screen; brighter, bolder colors to choose from with customization; no carrier bloatware.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
A "home/office" assist setting. :p!!!!!!!! To read my texts allowed and announce my phone calls while it's in my dock. Surprised they don't have it now actually. Probably something that needs a bit of refinement to it, and they will have it in the future.

TheNexusMan

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
That is an excellent idea...like their car assist settings, but activated at home when docked. Love it! You should suggest that to Moto.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A "home/office" assist setting. :p!!!!!!!! To read my texts allowed and announce my phone calls while it's in my dock. Surprised they don't have it now actually. Probably something that needs a bit of refinement to it, and they will have it in the future.

Would love if they added this to Motorola Assist.

(They wouldn't need a "Moto X 2" to do it though)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty