Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

I have been having syncing issues w/ my Exchange email ever since upgrading the phone to 4.4. The account is configured to sync using Push and it only syncs the most recent 3 days of email. When I open the email program, it isn't getting the latest emails (it is a few hours behind). I then go to Settings > Corporate > Exchange account name > The calendar is up to date but the email is sitting there with the spinning wheel. If I cancel the sync then restart it a few times, it eventually successfully syncs again. It then stays up to date for a few hours then gets stuck syncing again.

I have completely removed the exchange account, cleared the cache on the "Email" AND "Exchange Services" apps then re-added the Exchange account. That helped for a few days then it started happening again. I will try that one more time but also reboot the phone before re-adding the Exchange account. If that doesn't help, then there has to be some bug in Kit Kat that is causing this behavior. The email was rock solid while on 4.2.2.

This is has been reported by many users of Kit Kat that I have read about over the internet. Some users reported the problem solved with the 4.4.1 update while others report it not resolved until 4.4.2, those updates only apply to the Nexus devices while the Moto X is currently still on 4.4. There seems to be no uniformly consistent fix or workaround that I have read about and it seems to strike at random, not affecting everyone that uses Exchange. I worried about this when I got my new Moto X recently and updated to 4.4. Although, knock on wood, I have not experienced any issues so far. I rely on Exchange email for work and so far it has been working fine. I don't know if it matters but my employer is on Exchange 2010.

The email app "Touchdown" has been widely recommended as an alternative and it gets very positive reviews by users. It is reported that these sync issues caused by Kit Kat do not affect this app. It is a bit pricey ($20) though you can get a free thirty day trial to try it out. You may give that a shot in the interim and hope Motorola pushes out the more recent Kit Kat updates before the 30 day trial runs out. That's my plan if the bug hits me.

efmw113

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

This is has been reported by many users of Kit Kat that I have read about over the internet. Some users reported the problem solved with the 4.4.1 update while others report it not resolved until 4.4.2, those updates only apply to the Nexus devices while the Moto X is currently still on 4.4. There seems to be no uniformly consistent fix or workaround that I have read about and it seems to strike at random, not affecting everyone that uses Exchange. I worried about this when I got my new Moto X recently and updated to 4.4. Although, knock on wood, I have not experienced any issues so far. I rely on Exchange email for work and so far it has been working fine. I don't know if it matters but my employer is on Exchange 2010.

The email app "Touchdown" has been widely recommended as an alternative and it gets very positive reviews by users. It is reported that these sync issues caused by Kit Kat do not affect this app. It is a bit pricey ($20) though you can get a free thirty day trial to try it out. You may give that a shot in the interim and hope Motorola pushes out the more recent Kit Kat updates before the 30 day trial runs out. That's my plan if the bug hits me.

I've been hearing that Google is planning on moving their email client to the Play Store (just like the calendar) so that they can update it easier. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.

Has anyone heard of Motorola pushing the 4.2.2 update to the MotoX?

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Well, like clockwork, it happened again. Exchange in a non stop sync. I did try Old Stoneface's advice from above, but it didnt work. Had to remove my account and then add it back in again. That appears to be the only way for now. UGH.

Derek1267

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

My dads Moto X had the same issue since he uses work email. What I did to fix the problem was to set sync frequency to check for mail every 15 minutes. Hopefully the next update they will fix this problem but follow what I did and hopefully it will work.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

My dads Moto X had the same issue since he uses work email. What I did to fix the problem was to set sync frequency to check for mail every 15 minutes. Hopefully the next update they will fix this problem but follow what I did and hopefully it will work.

That won't fix the issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

I tried that also and it didn't change anything.

Was thinking about using Mail Wise, but wonder if it uses Exchange Services and the same problem will happen anyway.

vikbee

May 3, 2013
Visit site

i got a international version of S4 GTi9500...and i am on Android 4.3 and since i got the last OTA (about 4 weeks back)...my battery drain is unstoppable and the cause is "Exchange services" - perpetually running 45%+ and there is no way to shut the damn thing down. Dont know whether its microsoft and google who needs to fix but this better be fixed soon...my S4 that used to give me 14 hours easy...goes "puff" in 4...

sorry to say but i am glad i am not alone... pls update this if you found a workaround/fix

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

sorry to say but i am glad i am not alone... pls update this if you found a workaround/fix

Nothing. All I have been able to do is delete the account and then re-add it. Messes up my custom ringtones and Sync.me stuff. Annoying. Very annoying.

vikbee

May 3, 2013
Visit site

Screenshot_2014-01-07-19-32-24.jpg guess what..i deleted the account and resent the exchange server and my phone has been cold as hell since yesterday...and i dont even see "exchange services " in the top in the battery section...infact its far bottom at only 5%..which seems reasonable..i just noticed that its been 6 hours i didn't connect the phone to power cord and the batter just dropped from 69% to 55%... WOW!!!! fingers crossed that the "exchange services" crap doesn't show up again...

my sync settings are set to "PUSH", sync period is 2 weeks (which was same as earlier) and i removed the google calendar widget from the home screen and added the any.do calender...these are the only changes i've made...beats me what fixed this!!!!

efmw113

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 100031 guess what..i deleted the account and resent the exchange server and my phone has been cold as hell since yesterday...and i dont even see "exchange services " in the top in the battery section...infact its far bottom at only 5%..which seems reasonable..i just noticed that its been 6 hours i didn't connect the phone to power cord and the batter just dropped from 69% to 55%... WOW!!!! fingers crossed that the "exchange services" crap doesn't show up again.

my sync settings are set to "PUSH", sync period is 2 weeks (which was same as earlier) and i removed the google calendar widget from the home screen and added the any.do calender...these are the only changes i've made...beats me what fixed this!!!!

I've tried that too but it seems to only be a temporary fix for me. My Exchange services doesn't eat up the battery on my phone as much as it does on yours, but I do notice that all of a sudden, the phone stops syncing my calendar and email w/ my corporate Exchange server. Force stopping the syncing then manually re-syncing it seems to fix it for a few hours. Removing the account, rebooting and adding it back seems to fix the syncing problem for a day or two, but the problem always comes back. :-(

Last edited:

mvader123

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

As someone stated before, this is caused by a bug in the Exchange Services for Android 4.4.
I was experiencing the same thing on my Galaxy Nexus until it was updated to 4.4.2 and now that I've upgraded to the Moto X it is happening again.

There is no permanent fix. It will randomly happen again until Motorola upgrades the X to 4.4.2.

vikbee

May 3, 2013
Visit site

will wait to see when the issue comes up again...right now i dont even see "exchange services" in the battery section and the phone has been on no charge since the past 11 hours 30 mins and with pretty good use and lost about 78%.... i have 22% juice remaining and i am sure it'll last another 3 at least. So my conclusion is that the battery provided for S4 is not as bad - but it's really some s/w issue that screws it up every now and then...

i'm a pretty heavy user of the phone and i'll be pleased if i get about 10hours without charge... looking forward to all the crap that comes with the android 4.4 upgrade in the next few weeks :))

vikbee

May 3, 2013
Visit site

i said it too quickly i guess...and its back chewing up 54% of my battery..Duh!! Does anyone at Google/MS even listen to its customers!!

As someone stated before, this is caused by a bug in the Exchange Services for Android 4.4.
I was experiencing the same thing on my Galaxy Nexus until it was updated to 4.4.2 and now that I've upgraded to the Moto X it is happening again.

There is no permanent fix. It will randomly happen again until Motorola upgrades the X to 4.4.2.

mtbvert

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Anyone have any luck fixing this?

It happened again this morning for the third time, ironically, they have been exactly 1 week apart!!

Now its starting to cost me money if i don't catch it before i leave my office or house and get onto Mobile Data. The first time it used 800mb on mobile in less than a day!!

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Anyone have any luck fixing this?

It happened again this morning for the third time, ironically, they have been exactly 1 week apart!!

Now its starting to cost me money if i don't catch it before i leave my office or house and get onto Mobile Data. The first time it used 800mb on mobile in less than a day!!

I am the OP and I am still having this problem. It was happening every 4 days like clockwork at 2pm.

I did also have sync.me installed and once I removed that it stopped. I wonder if Exchange was trying to sync all of these photos back Outlook, thus causing the data drain and battery drop.

Hopefully 4.4.2 is on the way (for VZW) sooner than later.

mtbvert

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm, Sync.me huh? I have it installed as too, though not for much longer.

I'll update next Thursday!!!

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I tried that also and it didn't change anything.

Was thinking about using Mail Wise, but wonder if it uses Exchange Services and the same problem will happen anyway.

Mail wise works great on 4.4. I'm using it to avoid the full device encryption enforced by my exchange policy.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

anon(6267988)

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Strange, Mailwise forced me to encrypt, but had not removed access to NFC unlock and trusted devices, which my exchange policy removed access to.

Posted via my Moto X

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Strange, Mailwise forced me to encrypt, but had not removed access to NFC unlock and trusted devices, which my exchange policy removed access to.

Posted via my Moto X

Did you enter the code for exchange bypass before configuring the account?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk