Battery Life: A Handy Guide To Having Some

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This write up is intended to be a relatively quick, yet decently thorough guide for how to set your Moto X (and any other Android device) for near optimal sleep. I've noticed a LOT of posts here in the Moto X Forum on the subject, which makes sense with what seems to be an influx of first time Android users. So first timers, welcome! I hope this helps you squeeze even more enjoyment out of a great device. Myself and many of my friends have used these steps on multiple devices over the past few years with positive results every time. This guide is intended for the Average Joe end user that does not have root (or any business rooting) and is looking for a check list of sorts that will help their device reach deep sleep more often than it currently is. This is important because deep sleep is the key to optimal battery life on Android. I will try to give simple explanations for my suggestions. These explanations are by no means comprehensive, but we don't need them to be. While some seem weird, I encourage people not to knock them before trying them. Your device will most likely NOT sleep perfectly after these steps, but I promise you will see some form of improvement. If you don't, you have bigger issues that probably warrant a factory reset.

First, realize that everything comes with a tradeoff. You can't get everything Android can do all the time and get deliciously sweet battery life as well. While these steps won't get you the best battery life possible, I find them to be a good balance between battery life and functionality. After all, the point of a smart phone is functionality. I will put these in no particular order other than what I do when I get a new device. So, without further delay:

1) Turn off Haptic Feedback, Touch Tones, and other silly things: Go to Settings --> Sound --> Uncheck: Vibrate when ringing, Dial pad touch tones, Touch sounds, Screen lock sound, and Vibrate on touch. Be sure to go into your keyboard settings and turn off keypress sound and keypress vibration. I use SwiftKey, so I go to SwiftKey in the app drawer --> Sound & Vibration --> uncheck the aforementioned.

People will argue over #1. I don't know why, a decent search of XDA will educate you about a long standing bug in Android in which these features trigger AudioOut_1, AudioOut_2 and/or AudioOut_3 process(es) which tend to not always shut off properly and will cause partial wakelocks in your device, preventing deep sleep. In my experience, shutting this stuff off is a huge benefit for me but I tend to text, type and do all the things that trigger the aforementioned processes in the first place.

2) Keep your location based sharing in check:
Go to Settings -->
Location (You can leave Location On)
Mode: Device Only.
Google Location Reporting: Off
(note, this will cripple some apps. An example is "Google Offers" but it will make a big difference).

You have to make your own decision on which way you want to go with this one. These settings will not affect your ability to use navigation or anything like that. They will, however, kill location-based cards in Google Now. Again, make your own call on if turning that stuff off is worth it to you. I suggest giving it a try and seeing what kind of a difference it makes for you in the battery life department. After all, this stuff is easily reversed! ;)

3) Look at all your home screens and go through your widgets one by one. Any of them that refresh on a set interval, change to either manual refresh or extend them out as far as possible.

Every time a widget refreshes every half hour, hour, etc, your device wakes up. A well designed app shouldn't do this, it's entirely unnecessary. Unfortunately many apps are not well designed. When that pretty weather widget refreshes, it's waking up your phone, and all the well-designed apps on your device are recognizing that the device is awake, which is their signal to refresh as well, draining battery while your device sits unattended.

4) Go through all the apps in your app drawer and essentially do the same thing as you did in Step 3, for the all the same reasons. I can live with refreshing Facebook, G+, Android Central, etc all manually. I don't need something I'm not looking at to update on its own (with exception to something like Gmail). Discretion is key with this one. If in doubt, ask. Maybe I'll know. If I don't, I bet someone else will.

Also, bear in mind that you need to check apps after an update. An example of this is iHeart Radio. I have push notifications turned off and I just realized that the last update turned these on. Theoretically, leaving them on should not be a problem as long as they are really infrequent. But if a ton of apps are sending them out on a regular basis then your phone is gonna spend a lot of unnecessary time awake.

5) There are other things you can do to try and keep things in check like controlling your Screen Brightness (huge), turning Bluetooth and GPS off when not in use (negligible). Staying on WiFi when possible (huge). Limiting the number of apps that trigger active notifications. Using an app like "LTE OnOFF" to force your MX onto 3G if you really don't need LTE connectivity (bigger deal on Verizon in my experience). Shutting location services off all together. Turning sync off, shutting NFC off. Keeping your device on Airplane Mode when not in use because you don't understand the concept of a smart phone. ;)

***Note too, if you're in a place where you regularly have 0-2 bars of reception, your device is going to use extra juice to put as much power to the cellular radios as possible. There's nothing you can do about this short of shutting data and sync off or keeping your device in airplane mode. If you ever pick up your phone and it's hot, check your signal strength. You just might be in a fringe area and your device is doing all it can to maintain connectivity.

Some of the steps in #5 are obviously pretty extreme and over the top in my book. They cross the functionality line, at least for me. Most of them are intended as comic relief, but I wanted to list them for any new guys that want to take things a step further and aren't sure what to try.

It may seem like huge pain to change every widget and app refresh setting. But for me personally, I know that it nips the problem in the bud. From there, I can let a handful of apps do their thing and if I'm still experiencing issues then I have a smaller pool of suspects instead of every widget I use (and I use a bunch) and every app in my app drawer potentially being a problem. I'm not a fan of chasing down culprits for a really long time. After all, remember that this is a guide for the average user than isn't going to root, shouldn't root, and wouldn't understand what they were looking at in a wakelock detector app in the first place. This fact means that we are limited in our list of tools we can use to help narrow issues down. These suggestions follow that old adage that "an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure". Give this stuff a try, at least Steps 1-4, and you'll be in the minority if you don't see a change in battery life over the following days.

Last edited:

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Here's a good example of sleep. This is starting from this morning after getting into my hotel and taking it off the charger, then crashing for the errrr, morning. It didn't sleep perfectly, but other than the 16 emails, 4 text messages and 1 phone call I missed, it stayed relatively restful.

avy9emyt.jpg

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
There's also the Snapdragon Battery Guru app that can be tried. I installed it on mine and am finished with the learning phase. I've been using it for the last few days. It seems OK. My sleep/idle drain seems to be about 2%/hr.

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know why Google search would be awake for this long?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1388367250995.jpg
    1388367250995.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 84

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

It's certainly not normal. I've seen it a time or two on my MX and on my GNex. You can always tap "Force Stop" or reboot. It's not random, it's more like Google Now keeping the device awake after you've searched for something. It's not frequent enough for me to have a better idea and I've never bothered to look into it.

Posted via Android Central App

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

With only 4% used it looks like it probably isn't that big of a deal. I don't have a Moto X so I don't know how the battery reporting works, but could it have kept one of the low power "cores" awake during that time? Alternatively, it could just be a bug in the reporting where it didn't actually keep anything awake, but for some reason it thought it did. I've seen that on my Galaxy S4 before. As KWKSLVR said, a reboot normally fixes stuff like that.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to post this great write-up!

2) Keep your location based sharing in check:
Go to Settings -->
Location (You can leave Location On)
Mode: Device Only.
Google Location Reporting: Off
(note, this will cripple some apps. An example is ?Google Offers? but it will make a big difference).

You have to make your own decision on which way you want to go with this one. These settings will not affect your ability to use navigation or anything like that. They will, however, kill location-based cards in Google Now. Again, make your own call on if turning that stuff off is worth it to you. I suggest giving it a try and seeing what kind of a difference it makes for you in the battery life department. After all, this stuff is easily reversed! ;)

I have a couple of questions regarding the info in this section:
  1. what's the difference between the "Device only" and "Battery saving" location modes?
  2. would disabling Google Location Reporting prevent Google Now location-based reminders to stop working? I would think so, but confirmation would be great.

Keeping your device on Airplane Mode when not in use because you don?t understand the concept of a smart phone. ;)
I do one better and just keep mine powered off until I need to call someone. :)

But seriously, I'm a advanced-novice/intermediate Android user and this new battery drain thing is causing me no small amount of grief. I've done a ton of reading and I think my home network might be a (significant) factor. Using Wakelock Detector, I found wlan_rx_wakelock really leapt off the page. On the two Windows 7 systems on my LAN, I disabled an IPv6 service (huh??? why would this matter?) and a Windows Media Player service after reading this and that squashed the wlan_rx_wakelock. Now, I'm getting suspend_backoff as the top kernel wakelock. Argh.

I also saw some discussion on DHCP req/ack going bonkers so I've tried DHCP reserved addresses and even static IPs to no avail. I have been leaving my Moto X on 4G exclusively today and its deep-sleep behavior seems a lot better.

In short, I've tried multiple device settings combinations, thumbed through router logs, adjusted LAN settings, tinkered with network settings of other clients, and none have proven to be a magic bullet to kill this drain. To clarify, by "drain" I mean the abnormal 3-4%/hour drain I see on a device sitting idle on my desk. Part of the problem is me - my "tests" are scattershot at best and I'm testing across multiple devices and making changes on my network that can potentially affect multiple devices. I know this is stupid, but I'm doing it anyway. Impatient and looking for the instant fix, I guess.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple of questions regarding the info in this section:
  1. what's the difference between the "Device only" and "Battery saving" location modes?
  2. would disabling Google Location Reporting prevent Google Now location-based reminders to stop working? I would think so, but confirmation would be great.

High accuracy uses GPS, Wi-Fi, mobile networks, and other sensors to get the highest-accuracy location for your device. It uses Google's location service to help estimate your location faster and more accurately.

Battery saving allows your device to estimate your location using low battery-intensive location sources, such as Wi-Fi and mobile networks. It uses Google's location service to help estimate your location faster and more accurately.

Device only allows your device to estimate your location using GPS only. It doesn’t use Google's location service to provide location information. This mode may use more battery power and take longer to determine your location.

I say go with Device Only because it will allow navigation to function. Just out of curiousity, what router do you run and does it have any custom firmware on it? What else is connected to your network? I've read of similar issues in the past on a smattering of other devices, but I've personally never noticed a pattern. It certainly seems to be a rarity. I mentioned in another thread that I thought that wlan_rx_wakelock may not necessarily be the problem, it's just the process that the problem is using. An example of this could potentially be something like G+ that is set to back up your photos and videos over WiFi only. Or the result of a bunch of apps that are churning in the background using WiFi instead of Mobile Data (since WiFi is on and connect). I'm not saying that's your case at all and I'm not discounting the changes you made, but some issues can be intermediate. I don't know why IPv6 would make a difference, but hopefully it isn't placebo. I HATE placebo ;). If it's literally jumping off the page then it might not be, but it's another angle to take a look at. I'd hit a buddy up and see if you can crash their place and bum their WiFi for a few hours and see if a different router matters.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I say go with Device Only because it will allow navigation to function. Just out of curiousity, what router do you run and does it have any custom firmware on it? What else is connected to your network?

I use an Asus RT-AC66U and have two wired Win7 PCs, 2 Rokus, a PS3, and a half-dozen portable devices (Moto X, S3, 2 tablets, 2 Kindles). All devices are on 2.4GHz except one Roku which is on the 5GHz network and not all are active simultaneously.

I've read of similar issues in the past on a smattering of other devices, but I've personally never noticed a pattern. It certainly seems to be a rarity. I mentioned in another thread that I thought that wlan_rx_wakelock may not necessarily be the problem, it's just the process that the problem is using. An example of this could potentially be something like G+ that is set to back up your photos and videos over WiFi only. Or the result of a bunch of apps that are churning in the background using WiFi instead of Mobile Data (since WiFi is on and connect). I'm not saying that's your case at all and I'm not discounting the changes you made, but some issues can be intermediate. I don't know why IPv6 would make a difference, but hopefully it isn't placebo. I HATE placebo ;). If it's literally jumping off the page then it might not be, but it's another angle to take a look at. I'd hit a buddy up and see if you can crash their place and bum their WiFi for a few hours and see if a different router matters.

I understand what you're saying about the correct interpretation of the wakelock. Troubleshooting this stuff is like trying to find a roof leak by the drips coming through the ceiling. Water could be travelling down rafters or pipes before hitting the living room floor and there's no telling where the hole in the roof is without climbing up in the attic. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get into Android's attic and if I did, I wouldn't know where to begin looking. Android is just unfamiliar territory and I just know enough to be dangerous.

I also agree with your placebo comments. I hate false fixes too because the problem is liable to pop up later on down the road.

Your last suggestion has merit. I might mosey on down to a cafe with free WiFi and just read a book while I let my phone idle for a bit. I could also try turning off all other clients on my network one night and just leave the 2 phones connected to see what happens. Not tonight...big data migration after a PC upgrade. Whee...

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
My wife got this battery performance yesterday with her unlocked (T-Mobile) Motomaker edition:

Screenshot_2013-12-30-23-17-06.png
Screenshot_2013-12-30-23-17-14.png

As you can see it was off the charger for almost 16 hours on a solid WiFi signal. I don't think she went anywhere yesterday, so it was in the house or just outside the door all day. It was not plugged in at all.

She is beyond thrilled with the battery life! Her last 2 phones were a Nexus (GSM) and a Nexus 4, which leave a lot to be desired in this department.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome! She's my new hero. I just made a slight addition to the OP that I'll repost here. This entirely slipped my mind because I've seen this plenty, but just saw it in practice again.

Also, bear in mind that you need to check apps after an update. An example of this is iHeart Radio. I have push notifications turned off and I just realized that the last update turned these on. Theoretically, leaving them on should not be a problem as long as they are really infrequent. But if a ton of apps are sending them out on a regular basis then your phone is gonna spend a lot of unnecessary time awake.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non