Galaxy S4 to Moto X - My Experience

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I won't make an incredibly long review so I'll try to explain each point as simple as possible. The first thing you need to understand is that you're trading a great phone for another great phone. That being said you are giving up some features that you need to keep in mind before trading. So without further ado here are the advantages and disadvantages of trading your S4 for a Moto X:

1.) Design

The S4 has a pretty slim design and a beautiful 5" display. Feels pretty nice in the hand, much lighter and it has a pretty good design overall. However the ergonomics on the Moto X are hard to beat. With a soft curved back it feels amazing on the hand. Not mentioning the fact that you can customize your device which is a huge plus.

Winner: Moto X

2.) Software

This one is a no brainer. The S4 remains with TouchWiz which has its nice features but can have some performance problems. Much of the stuff there you will not end up using. The MX comes with the 4.4 update right out of the box. You get the stock android expierence and all the new features on KitKat which I really like (emojis).

3.) Camera

Again a no brainer. The S4 blows the Moto X camera. This is one of the features you have to think about giving up. If you like to take a lot of pictures I would strongly recommend keeping the S4. Apart from the quality, Motorola doesn't have any settings for the camera, you get wht comes loaded and there's very little you can change. For example you can't change the picture size (you get 16:9 and you can't change to anything else), ISO settings, there's no touch to focus while recording and much much more. All you get on the MX is HDR, panorama, and slow motion and that's about it.

Winner: Galaxy S4

4.) Display

You would think this is an easy choice but there are some points you need to consider. Talking about resolution again the S4 is clearly the winner. With its 1080p screen there's no doubt you get an amazing display on anything you do. The MX doesn't stay behind with it's 720p you still get a great resolution and you won't notice the difference unless you try really hard. However there is one big factor that may help you decide. The MX has great outdoor visibility unlike the S4. This is a huge plus for the MX but since we are talking about display the S4 wins.

Winner: Galaxy S4

5.) Battery

Both of these devices have great battery. I can't give you exact data about this and I'm gonna have to tell you from my experience that the MX does get better battery life. The S4 also had great great battery life I could easily last a day with it and not mentioning it's expandable. However with it's power saving screen I'm able to get 6 hours of screen time with my MX.

6.) "Gimmicks"

It seems that both these companies put some hard work into making all these new features. The S4 has too many for you to actually use on daily basis and while they are pretty cool, you won't be using them after long. However active notifications and touchless controls are pretty helpful. You'll find using these more and more after time.

I know this isn't a detailed review but it is just simply my experience. I tried to explain the most common points while getting a new phone. Even though the MX won more categories for me, I can't lie and have to say there are both amazing phones. If I had to pick one I really wouldn't know it really does come down to preference. I'm very excited with the MX so far but I sure miss some features. Again this is only my experience. Any questions I'm happy to help. Hope this helped!

Last edited:

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm making a switch from an s3 and am curious - what have been your biggest things to get used to? What apps have you tried to replace some of the missing features?

Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
S4 also has like 4 or 5 different display color presets which I think is a killer feature. This should be on all phones.....

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm making a switch from an s3 and am curious - what have been your biggest things to get used to? What apps have you tried to replace some of the missing features?

Thanks in advance!

Software and camera definately. In the Moto X you don't get quick settings at the top like brightness, one touch for wifi and all of that. At first it was a real bummer because you would have to go to settings just to turn on wifi and all of that on the MX. However I found this app, Notification Toggle, which does the exact same thing as TouchWiz, I'll upload pics in a little bit.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Software and camera definately. In the Moto X you don't get quick settings at the top like brightness, one touch for wifi and all of that. At first it was a real bummer because you would have to go to settings just to turn on wifi and all of that on the MX. However I found this app, Notification Toggle, which does the exact same thing as TouchWiz, I'll upload pics in a little bit.
View and access settings from anywhere on the phone by swiping down from the top of the screen with two fingers, or by touching the Quick Settings icon in the upper right corner of the notification shade.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
View and access settings from anywhere on the phone by swiping down from the top of the screen with two fingers, or by touching the Quick Settings icon in the upper right corner of the notification shade.

I know but when you press an option it will take you directly to settings. In TouchWiz you can turn off and on by just pressing it from anywhere.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Tip: Touch and hold Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to quickly toggle these on or off.
BTW, I took these from the Moto Care app that comes with the Moto X.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Tip: Touch and hold Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to quickly toggle these on or off.
BTW, I took these from the Moto Care app that comes with the Moto X.

Oh, you learn something everyday. But still to toggle brightness is a pain in the ***

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh, you learn something everyday. But still to toggle brightness is a pain in the ***

I tend to use the power widget, it's much easier than touching the notification shade.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

I went from an S3 to an X...
A big one I would say is stock Android if you never ran an AOSP ROM. Aside from that, the soft keys being set up differently from the S3. But, overall, I think you are going to be blown away by the fact that you are going to be holding a note comfortable device, and in regards to overall OS, the X makes stock TW seem cross eyed and drooling.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Last edited:

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Notification toggle is the app that replaces the s4 toggles in the notifications pane.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think this was a fair and accurate comparison. I've had the S4 and the only thing I miss is the camera. That's it. I don't notice the display difference although I'm sure I would if I had both phones side by side. Bottom line is that I would choose the Moto X over the S4 or any other phone right now. I have learned how to get better pictures. I can't learn how to make the other phones have the features that are unique to the Moto X. I can't wait to see where motorola goes from here.

Sent from my Moto X

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have both. If Moto/Google had decent stock email, calendar and contacts/people apps, it would be the device I use. The TW ones are better and easier to use, have the right html format for replies and forwarded emails, etc. There are decent apps to take the place of the calendar app, but not the others unless you use Touchdown or something similar. I have used TD and cannot stand the way it looks. I really wish Google would focus on those apps. They have always been awful in stock android. I rely on them more than anything else for work and they are not good on the Moto X. Otherwise, to me the Moto X is better. I agree on the camera, but the S4 camera can be finicky too. The camera is just not as important to me on a daily basis. I also think Moto has some sleep/inactivity issues where the radio disconnects that they need to fix. I had very high time without signal percentages on two of them in strong signal areas. For these reasons, I use the S4, but would prefer to use the Moto X.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the HTC One is the one to get? I'm not into the Samsung Touchwiz stuff, and the camera is key to me. Plus the Samsung speaker is limp, I hate my Galaxy Nexus one.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
S4 also has like 4 or 5 different display color presets which I think is a killer feature. This should be on all phones.....

+1, I'm a photographer and while I don't do serious editing on my Moto X, being able to calibrate the display would be awesome.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

This and the camera performance are the two things I really loved about my s4 that I do miss some with my X. Everything else I like about the X more.