Moto X: General consensus?

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: General consensus?

Absolutely yes, it does -- touchless control, active notification, and twist to launch camera are all on the Droid Maxx.

Like you, I had a Razr Maxx for two years. I bought an X when they first came out on Verizon. Coming from the Razr Maxx, i was very disappointed with the X's battery life. It may be good compared to some folks experiences, but compared to the Razr Maxx, it was pretty bad. With the same apps/environment as my Razr Maxx, I went from 36 hours of battery to less than 12 (to get the 15% warning).

I returned the X and bought a Droid Maxx. It is great. Just a bit bigger than the Razr Maxx (a little taller), but it has a bigger screen. It feels like a more polished Razr Maxx. I should have just bought it first.

I prefer the form factor of the X and chose it over battery life. For me the battery and efficiency is better than what I was used to with my HTC Rezound. Like the last post said you're accustomed to the max battery and are likely to be disappointed with less than a full day's battery life (only accomplished on light usage days with the X.)

The Ultra Maxx gives you the new features and the huge battery. The Ultra Maxx feels better in hand than the the RAZR Maxx and softens the industrial look a bit. It has a little further to go for my personal tastes, but I'd love to have that battery! I also hope the next Maxx has slightly better resolution for its larger screen and soft keys. I always thought the Motorola capacitive buttons were the ugliest (personal opinion.)

Sent from my Moto X

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

So, I guess the answer to the original question is: No, there is no general consensus on the Moto X. The people who like it like it and the people who don't don't.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

BTW, do you know if the Maxx can be rooted?

You have to root it before updating to kit kat. There's a method (see XDA for details) to keep root with KK, but you have to do the things in exactly the right order. If you update to KK first, there is currently no root method. When I bought mine (November), it shipped with 4.2.2. Now that the KK update has pushed out, I suspect that 4.4 is being installed at the factory. Don't know how long earlier ones will remain in the supply chain.

You could buy the Developers Edition and unlock the bootloader.

That said, I've rooted all my previous phones, but haven't felt the itch to do so on my Maxx yet.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

what is the general consensus on picture and video quality? While moto is known for how good the signal and gps quality is they are also known for having really crappy cameras... has this gotten better?

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

You have to root it before updating to kit kat. There's a method (see XDA for details) to keep root with KK, but you have to do the things in exactly the right order. If you update to KK first, there is currently no root method. When I bought mine (November), it shipped with 4.2.2. Now that the KK update has pushed out, I suspect that 4.4 is being installed at the factory. Don't know how long earlier ones will remain in the supply chain.

You could buy the Developers Edition and unlock the bootloader.

That said, I've rooted all my previous phones, but haven't felt the itch to do so on my Maxx yet.

Okay...here's a better question, can one tether wirelessly with the X or MAXX?

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Okay...here's a better question, can one tether wirelessly with the X or MAXX?

I assume you mean without a carrier tethering plan (i.e. using FoxFi). With Kit Kat, you need to be rooted (currently... FoxFi may figure out a way to update their app, but Kit Kat seems to have locked down a lot of things).

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

what is the general consensus on picture and video quality? While moto is known for how good the signal and gps quality is they are also known for having really crappy cameras... has this gotten better?

Better, but not the best out there. If the camera is high on your priority list, you may want to look elsewhere. One good thing is that Motorola has put the camera app on Google Play store, so they can update it without having to go through the carriers.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Better, but not the best out there. If the camera is high on your priority list, you may want to look elsewhere. One good thing is that Motorola has put the camera app on Google Play store, so they can update it without having to go through the carriers.

I've seen that they've been transitioning apps to the app store in order to update them more easily than full fledged carrier reviewed software updates that take forever. I like being able to take good photos when needed which the Note 3 handles no problem but more often than not I find myself shooting video at my daughters cheer events while my wife snaps away on her dslr.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I've seen that they've been transitioning apps to the app store in order to update them more easily than full fledged carrier reviewed software updates that take forever. I like being able to take good photos when needed which the Note 3 handles no problem but more often than not I find myself shooting video at my daughters cheer events while my wife snaps away on her dslr.

With good light, it does a pretty good job (at least meets my expectations for a phone camera). In low light conditions, it is a bit worse than par.

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
There's a sticky thread with photos. There is a difference between the first ones and the ones after the update.

Posted via Android Central App

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

With good light, it does a pretty good job (at least meets my expectations for a phone camera). In low light conditions, it is a bit worse than par.

Is this referring to video quality or is this still for pictures? As I said we have the camera for pics but I like to shoot video for family that is out of town and cant make it to competitions. Not a deciding factor but if the video quality is pretty good then that's just one more plus for the Moto X.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Is this referring to video quality or is this still for pictures? As I said we have the camera for pics but I like to shoot video for family that is out of town and cant make it to competitions. Not a deciding factor but if the video quality is pretty good then that's just one more plus for the Moto X.

Sorry, haven't played with video enough to tell.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

It's okay. It hasn't disappointed me at all. Well some OIS would be nice, but it's workable and the sound quality is surprisingly good.

mac00l

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Battery life gets you trough the day.

In a recent trip, it lasted me for about 7 hours of constant GPS and screen time, without recharging. That is really impressive, compared with my iPhone 5 that lasted for only 2 hours under those conditions.

In normal usage (without games or videos) I come back home with around 30-40% charge left. That means around 3+ hours of screen time, 30-40 minutes of Waze and Music streaming trough BT and the rest of the time on Twitter, mails, etc...

About the camera... Honestly it is mediocre at best. Under perfect conditions it gets the job done.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
General consensus? Still the best Android phone you can buy as of this post.

BoostN

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
So, I've got a promo code and can buy one for $299 without a contract for AT&T. I've got an HTC One I'm just not happy with, the battery is horrible. Has anyone here come from the HTC One to the Moto X and feel good about their decision? or... should I just wait it out for the latest and greatest for this new year?

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
So, I've got a promo code and can buy one for $299 without a contract for AT&T. I've got an HTC One I'm just not happy with, the battery is horrible. Has anyone here come from the HTC One to the Moto X and feel good about their decision? or... should I just wait it out for the latest and greatest for this new year?

Mine is not quite the use case you're seeking but I'm coming from an HTC Rezound and looked extensively at the One. I don't regret choosing the X over it one little bit. I found alternatives to most of what I like about Sense, and don't miss any of the draw backs. I love HTC's hardware but hate their battery life.

This phone is the perfect size & form factor, all the radios, sensors are top notch, love the build quality and customization. Software is buttery smooth!

Sent from my Moto X

Last edited:

BoostN

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine is not quite the use case you're seeking but I'm coming from an HTC Rezound and looked extensively at the One. I don't regret choosing the X over it one little bit. I found alternatives to most of what I like about Sense, and don't miss any of the draw backs. I love HTC's hardware but hate their battery life.

This phone is the perfect size & form factor, all the radios, sensors are top notch, love the build quality and customization. Software is buttery smooth!

Sent from my Moto X

Thanks for your reply! Anyone else have more comments?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non