View Poll Results: How much do you use touchless control?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heavily

48 36.36%
  • Occasionally

57 43.18%
  • Rarely

16 12.12%
  • Never

11 8.33%
02-15-2014 01:04 AM
108 1234 ...
tools
    "Note to Self" is (one of) the reasons I bought this phone. Its amazing how many things I realize I need to do when I'm sitting in traffic during my commute and being able to capture them completely hands-free has been awesome.

Sent from my Moto X
    01-27-2014 01:00 PM
    Any future phone that doesn't have Touchless Controls and Active Notification (or the functional equivalents) will need to have some very compelling features to get me to switch. That said, if someone ever makes a way to easily and inexpensively change prescription lenses on my Google Glass - I need distance and computer prescriptions and it's a hassle to change (no, progressives don't do it) - then Glass could meet those function points for me.
    01-27-2014 01:28 PM
    Is the bluetooth on and do you have a bluetooth device connected?
    It is. Could that be the problem? Maybe I should try turning off my Bluetooth and having someone text me to see if it works.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-27-2014 02:44 PM
    "Note to Self" is (one of) the reasons I bought this phone. Its amazing how many things I realize I need to do when I'm sitting in traffic during my commute and being able to capture them completely hands-free has been awesome.

Sent from my Moto X
    Can you tell really say, Note to self?

01-27-2014 02:54 PM
    It is. Could that be the problem? Maybe I should try turning off my Bluetooth and having someone text me to see if it works.
    yeah, try that. Then if that works, I think you may have media volume set too low. The problem I have found is that when a text is read out through a bluetooth device, it is read out at the media volume, not the call volume, and I can't adjust media volume on my bluetooth headset. To adjust media volume, go to settings, sound, volumes and adjust the volume for music, video, games & other media all the way up to see if that helps.
    ttfn92 likes this.
    01-27-2014 03:13 PM
    Can you tell really say, Note to self?
    yes, it sends you an email with an attachment of the audio of what your note said. Click on the attachment and it plays back your note to self.
    ttfn92 likes this.
    01-27-2014 03:17 PM
    yes, it sends you an email with an attachment of the audio of what your note said. Click on the attachment and it plays back your note to self.
    Wild. Mine adds it to my to-do list app. : )
    01-27-2014 04:43 PM
    My favorite new use: In the winter in the NE it is so cold, was 8 degrees the other day. but usually you catn use a touch screen with gloves on. Touchless controls, problem solved. ! ok google now, call Harold, bam. No frozen fingers. (learned that after my fingers became numb after a phone call that lasted under a minute. Lol. Never again.
    ttfn92 likes this.
    01-27-2014 04:47 PM
    I don't use it that much. Mostly just for the weather and when I'm showing it to somebody. Like said before, I too don't really see a sense in talking to my phone. But, it is there when I need it. And when used, it works great.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    01-27-2014 04:53 PM
    Never use it. I don't see it as a convenience at all. As a matter of fact, I see it as an inconvenience and quite silly. No hassles for me using the phone the way I've used other phones. I see it as a good thing for Motorola because there are a lot of people that really go for that type of gimmick and I'd like to see Motorola do well.
    01-27-2014 05:17 PM
    Never use it. I don't see it as a convenience at all. As a matter of fact, I see it as an inconvenience and quite silly. No hassles for me using the phone the way I've used other phones. I see it as a good thing for Motorola because there are a lot of people that really go for that type of gimmick and I'd like to see Motorola do well.
    Do you drive a car?
    01-27-2014 05:33 PM
    Curious, why did you even get a Moto X if you consider Motorola's add-on features "gimmicky"?
    21stNow likes this.
    01-27-2014 06:20 PM
    Not really gimmicky if it fills your need. My husband is a UPS driver and uses Siri on his iPhone all the time. It's not exactly the same but pretty close. It's hard to check texts when you're driving and carrying boxes.

21stNow likes this.
    01-27-2014 06:26 PM
    I am a CDL driver and this a must for communication.
    01-27-2014 06:28 PM
    Never, I feel really dumb saying "Ok Google Now", Or just plain talking on the phone by myself. And if other people are around? NO thanks haha
    ttfn92 likes this.
    01-27-2014 07:35 PM
    Never, I feel really dumb saying "Ok Google Now", Or just plain talking on the phone by myself. And if other people are around? NO thanks haha
    huh, everyone I have ever done it around is impressed. Especially the find my phone command.
    01-27-2014 08:10 PM
    I normally don't do it public but wouldn't hesitate to if necessary. Who cares what other people think.
    21stNow likes this.
    01-27-2014 08:21 PM
    Was grouting my floor tiles today and had crap all I ever my hands. Had to pick the kiddies up from school so I asked what time it was. Very handy

01-27-2014 08:27 PM
    Curious, why did you even get a Moto X if you consider Motorola's add-on features "gimmicky"?
    Well, I think it's mildly useful, but it's certainly not as useful (for me, ymmv) as wireless charging was. I bought the Moto X for its form factor and battery life. And the battery life has been okay, and I love the form factor, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it has really excellent radios, so all in all, I'm happy with it.
    01-27-2014 08:58 PM
    I didn't use it for much more than checking the weather or calling someone at first, but I've been using the Assist while driving more and more. It works remarkably well.
    01-27-2014 11:00 PM
    One of the main reason I bought this device is for this active listening feature, which I will use with Tasker and AutoVoice and Xposed Frameowork's Google Search API module.
    01-27-2014 11:55 PM
    Yes! Very useful for when I do not want to touch my phone!

I use it daily. From making calls to sending texts. It is great! When my hands are tied up and for example when I first get in a car and want to focus on driving- I can tell my MX who I'd like to speak with and bam it gets done without even looking at my screen.

Doesn't get any better.

Posted via Moto X (VZ)
    cindave likes this.
    01-28-2014 04:35 AM
    Yes! Very useful for when I do not want to touch my phone!

I use it daily. From making calls to sending texts. It is great! When my hands are tied up and for example when I first get in a car and want to focus on driving- I can tell my MX who I'd like to speak with and bam it gets done without even looking at my screen.

Doesn't get any better.

Posted via Moto X (VZ)
    Yup. I jumped off my bike for a second to park it somewhere and could "text" my friend at the same time, telling her to get on the line for movie tix. lol. Also awesomey handy for timing my laundry and cooking stuff. I use the "wake me up function" for it but it works awesome. Put the clothes in, and "okay google, wake me up in 30 mins", no more forgetting or double checking the clock 10 times. : ). Also when i'm out late on the weekends, i can fall into bed and tell it to wake me in 7 hours. and i still use it for whether in the morning while getting dressed.
    01-28-2014 09:05 AM
    Wild. Mine adds it to my to-do list app. : )
    You can select the app that's associated with it for how you want the note saved. Email works, as do many task apps. For example I used Any.Do

Its something Android prompts you to specify the first time, kind if like when you have multiple launchers and when you hit the home button you pick it which one and select just this once or always.

Sent from my Moto X
    01-28-2014 10:14 AM
    Like some others, I feel a little stupid talking to my phone in public, especially if the phone didn't get my query right and responds incorrectly or not at all. However, I'm starting to use it more and more with each update as features are being added and the phone's recognition of my queries have seemed to improve as it's detecting my voice better and providing more accurate and faster responses. Currently using mine mainly for time, temperature, navigation, sport scores/results and Play Music commands.
    01-28-2014 10:26 AM
108 1234 ...