Is there a way to set a specific resolsution, for screenshots

MikeSD

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site
I don't know why I never noticed this. I have a Samsung S20 Ultra 5G and a Samsung S24 Ultra.

For 2 years, I have been capturing screenshots of the outcome of a game I play, everyday. In all those games, over 2 years, the screen capture has been 1440 x 3200, 5MP. But I recently changed phones to the S24. Now, all of a sudden it's capturing at lower resolution. Perhaps it's not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things but sometimes I want a higher resolution. I just assumed it was capturing at maximum resolution of the screen. Not so...

These are the resolutions that my 2 phones are capturing that game screen.

On my S20, the resolution is 1440 x 3200, 5MP
On my S24, the resolution is 1080 x 2340, 3MP

Questions:

1) Why would the higher resolution phone capture at a lower resolution than the lower resolution phone?

2) Is there a way to SET the capture resolution, so the screen capture will capture at full resolution? I realize that the two phone have different screen sizes so won't be exactly the same. I do NOT want to have to try and resize each image, for every screenshot I capture. I'd just like to make it something like 5MP, like the other.

3) What is the method used, for how the phone decides what resolution to use? I have reviewed my screenshots, and notice that they might be different. Some are 1MP, some are 2MP, some are 4, 5, etc. I'd like to have some control over this, and resizing isn't an option. I would just like to SET it and forget it.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why I never noticed this. I have a Samsung S20 Ultra 5G and a Samsung S24 Ultra.

For 2 years, I have been capturing screenshots of the outcome of a game I play, everyday. In all those games, over 2 years, the screen capture has been 1440 x 3200, 5MP. But I recently changed phones to the S24. Now, all of a sudden it's capturing at lower resolution. Perhaps it's not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things but sometimes I want a higher resolution. I just assumed it was capturing at maximum resolution of the screen. Not so...

These are the resolutions that my 2 phones are capturing that game screen.

On my S20, the resolution is 1440 x 3200, 5MP
On my S24, the resolution is 1080 x 2340, 3MP

Questions:

1) Why would the higher resolution phone capture at a lower resolution than the lower resolution phone?

2) Is there a way to SET the capture resolution, so the screen capture will capture at full resolution? I realize that the two phone have different screen sizes so won't be exactly the same. I do NOT want to have to try and resize each image, for every screenshot I capture. I'd just like to make it something like 5MP, like the other.

3) What is the method used, for how the phone decides what resolution to use? I have reviewed my screenshots, and notice that they might be different. Some are 1MP, some are 2MP, some are 4, 5, etc. I'd like to have some control over this, and resizing isn't an option. I would just like to SET it and forget it.
Screen captures will capture at whatever resolution the screen is set for at the time of the capture.

Settings > Display > Screen resolution.

FHD+ is 2340 x 1080.
QHD+ is 3120 x 1440.

I use the FHD+ setting, so all my screen captures are at 1080 x 2340. Yeah, the x/y info on an image is flipped from how it's listed in Settings.

I think it defaults to the middle setting and that's where yours is.

Theres also a lower setting - HD+ 1560 x 720

You may have had the S20 at what was called WQHD+, which was 3200 x 1400 at the time.

The S24 Ultra resolution numbers may be slightly different - those I listed are from my S24 Plus.

Although, you say this is happening while in a game. There is a notice when setting the screen resolution that some games can change the resolution. So maybe it's the game that keep changing it. And the screen capture just grabs the screen at whatever resolution it's currently at.

MikeSD

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site
Screen captures will capture at whatever resolution the screen is set for at the time of the capture.

Settings > Display > Screen resolution.

FHD+ is 2340 x 1080.
QHD+ is 3120 x 1440.

I use the FHD+ setting, so all my screen captures are at 1080 x 2340. Yeah, the x/y info on an image is flipped from how it's listed in Settings.

I think it defaults to the middle setting and that's where yours is.

Theres also a lower setting - HD+ 1560 x 720

You may have had the S20 at what was called WQHD+, which was 3200 x 1400 at the time.

The S24 Ultra resolution numbers may be slightly different - those I listed are from my S24 Plus.

Although, you say this is happening while in a game. There is a notice when setting the screen resolution that some games can change the resolution. So maybe it's the game that keep changing it. And the screen capture just grabs the screen at whatever resolution it's currently at.
Well duh! I never even knew about that setting. Which begs the question, if I never knew I could chnge that, and never did change that, why do I have so many screen captures with different resolutions? There must be something else that's changing it, automagically, for some reason. Because I never changed that.

Good to know though. At least I can check for captures where I need a specific resolution. :)

Last edited:

MikeSD

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site
Problem solved. It was not the resolution, that was the problem.

I took a screenshot yesterday and it was fine. Today, I took a screenshot, and it was smaller content. I checked both images, and they were both the same format and resolution. Something else was wrong.

I noticed he content from the app was rendered differently. It was more zoomed out than the day before. It turns out there was a screen ZOOM control. That's what the problem was. I zoomed in one click, and the content rendered like it did the day before.

In the 600+ screenshots on my S22, I never knew that option existed so all my images were the same. While looking around on the S24, I did click the ZOOM, to see if it made any difference on the home screen. Didn't seem to. I didn't put the zoom back where it was initialy.

Problem solved! Thanks to those who made me look around. :)

Reactions: BerryBubbles

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well if you didn't know you could change the resolution on your phone I would say it might have something to do with the fact that you PLAY games every day? 🤪 :eek::oops:

MikeSD

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site
Well if you didn't know you could change the resolution on your phone I would say it might have something to do with the fact that you PLAY games every day? 🤪 :eek::oops:
The fact is, you can't actually change resolutions on your phone. Resolution is fixed. Zoom is an entrely different thing.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
The fact is, you can't actually change resolutions on your phone. Resolution is fixed. Zoom is an entrely different thing.
Are you sure? You can on some phones, limited as it may be.
cf4da2e314862ed2eca748aa8505f716.jpg

Also S24

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000