Moto X: Deciding between 16GB and 32GB, how much memory is enough (for apps, etc.)?

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Deciding between 16GB and 32GB, how much memory is enough (for apps, etc.)?

don't take many videos.
if you ever have kids, you will. Now these phones last 2 years, not much more so if you are not planning on having kids or none of your siblings are going to be having kids in the near future it is a non-issue.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

don't plan on using it as my music player (have a Clip Zip for that),
I never planned on using mine as a music player, either. But it is so convenient to have your phone and your music player all in one device. I used to jog without my phone, but now it feels so unsafe to do so. If I were to get hurt or something suspicious were happening around me, I feel so much safer jogging with a phone on me and the Moto X is the right size for jogging.

nfotiu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

The math makes sense, but I listen to spotify on high quality at least 60-90 minutes a day, and according the usage meter, Spotify has never used more than 250 MB in a month.

I'd consider myself a pretty heavy user of my smartphones, but I use Spotify for music, auto upload my pics and videos, netflix is the only video watching I do. 16 MB is easily enough for me.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

So if you work out 1 hour per day and stream music while you work out, that is 60MB x 30 days = 1800MB per month to stream music, which is about 1.75GB per month.
Google Music (if you use it) will automatically cache and store music on your phone that you listen to often (or you can manually select which albums to cache), which will somewhat limit your data usage if you listen to the same songs multiple times. In my experience it has cached about 500-600mb of music on its own.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Google Music (if you use it) will automatically cache and store music on your phone that you listen to often (or you can manually select which albums to cache), which will somewhat limit your data usage if you listen to the same songs multiple times. In my experience it has cached about 500-600mb of music on its own.

That kind of memory usage going on behind the scenes from the user was what was eating up the 16gb on board my HTC Rezound. There was also some bug that was causing a thumbnail data file grow to a bigger file size (3GB) than all of the thumbnails and photos on my phone combined.

Sent from my Moto X

nfotiu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

That's a lot of work! If I didn't already own so much music or if I didn't have an UDP it would be worth it, though. But I do already own a lot of music and I like owning it outright. I also run in areas where the 4G LTE signal is spotty.

I got to say that owning and managing music, especially if you like acquiring new music and like to listen to it on different sources, is a whole lot more work when compared to the convenience of Spotify or google all access. And spotify at high quality or extreme quality sounds very good to me.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I got to say that owning and managing music, especially if you like acquiring new music and like to listen to it on different sources, is a whole lot more work when compared to the convenience of Spotify or google all access. And spotify at high quality or extreme quality sounds very good to me.
you are probably right, it is just that I am used to doing it the old fashioned way and to learn all these new services takes more work for me. I tried Spotify's free trial and didn't like it, but I didn't really spend much time on it. That is what I didn't like - to get to use it to the full capacity I would have needed to spend time learning it.

Last edited:

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I never planned on using mine as a music player, either. But it is so convenient to have your phone and your music player all in one device. I used to jog without my phone, but now it feels so unsafe to do so. If I were to get hurt or something suspicious were happening around me, I feel so much safer jogging with a phone on me and the Moto X is the right size for jogging.

Exactly! I use my phone for music, fitness tracking and the security of having a communications device with me when I run. Streaming music with a separate app while GPS tracking increased the chance of losing music to a lost signal or the possibility of an app crashing and is definitely more taxing on battery life. Also, using the built in music player on my fitness app ensures that the music quiets down properly for voice prompts so I hear them.

I'm sure the Moto X and Kit Kit probably perform more reliably than my old phones, but I like to know everything is just going to work when I start my workout!

Sent from my Moto X

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Those of us who don't have UDPs and a good signal all the time have to store music on our phones and that can take up a lot of storage space depending on how much music you have.

Fortunately for the OP he won't be using the phone as a music player so that's not an issue.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Fortunately for the OP he won't be using the phone as a music player so that's not an issue.
but he may change his mind after reading our responses that indicate why we do.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

I have the 16GB version but at the same time, I only download 20 or so apps and I'm done!

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
In addition to the (great) points made so far, I would also factor in how long you plan to keep the device. The extra $53 dollars may seem like a lot up front, but spread over 1-2years it's not much more than the 16gb (4 dollars/ month for 1 year, 2 dollars/month for 2 years).

I would bite the bullet and get the 32gb. In my mind, it's better to have the extra storage and potentially not need it than need the extra storage and not have it. But, it's your spending money so go with what you need.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered a 32 GB Moto X today. Debated the same thing, but when I looked at storage use on my 16gb Razr Maxx, I found I only have 1.3 GB left, and that was with all my pictures being stored on SD. For my use, 32gb was a no brainer at that point.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Go for the higher storage option. You may feel that 16gb is enough now, but your life circumstances can change. How you use a device can change over time. Maybe you will start finding yourself in a new area with poor cell coverage and want to store music for some reason, maybe you will want to start taking more video. Better to have too much storage than too little.

Posted via Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Did I read right? Are we talking about a 50$ difference? If so it's a no brainer.

Remember you're not just doubling your storage, you're increasing by almost 130%

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I've got the 16gb version and I haven't ran into problems. I don't put much onto my phone and my photos also backup to Google+ via Photos. But you could also use a cloud service to store pictures etc.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
yeah, you read it right.

Let's do the math.

16GB - 5GB for OS/preinstalled apps = 11 GB storage
32GB - 5GB for OS/preinstalled apps = 27 GB storage

27/11 = 1.45

So more like 145%.

For basically the cost of dinner out you can add tons of free space. Like Gator said you never know what you may need in the future

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

32GB.

Apps are getting bigger every day.

Plus, more storage space is better. ;)