Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

Rhezick

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Yea no go. I uninstalled the update and reinstalled it just in case it didn't take the first camera....and doesn't work. I have the blue finger highlighted, but no box in the circle. Just the circle followed shortly after by the camera taking the picture. Any suggestions?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yea no go. I uninstalled the update and reinstalled it just in case it didn't take the first camera....and doesn't work. I have the blue finger highlighted, but no box in the circle. Just the circle followed shortly after by the camera taking the picture. Any suggestions?
Try clearing the Camera app data and cache, uninstall updates (return to factory settings), retart your phone, then reinstall the update from Google Play.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Here we go again with the phone apparently being garbage because the camera apparently sucks...

I think these shots (taken from my moto x) are pretty damn good!

I've actually opted for a moto x shot instead of my DSLR sometimes.

But HF returning a fantastic phone because you don't know how to take good pictures..

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1391472936120.jpg
    1391472936120.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 1391472967591.jpg
    1391472967591.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 1391473044080.jpg
    1391473044080.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 1391473114859.jpg
    1391473114859.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 79

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Here we go again with the phone apparently being garbage because the camera apparently sucks...

But HF returning a fantastic phone because you don't know how to take good pictures..

The three good pics are all what I would call ideal lighting conditions. The 4th isn't a good pic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I too am not displeased with the camera on my x. I came from a Note 3 which on paper has a killer camera, but for some reason I couldn't get a decent shot on it for nothing! They were always blurry and never seemed to focus on what I wanted.
Just snapped this quick pic of my daughter while we're chilling in the living room watching TV ... Only the light from one small table lamp and the TV itself. Not too bad IMO:
bysy2ene.jpg

Tapatalked via my moto x

Rhezick

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Is this only for 4.4? I'm on 4.2. Only thing I can think of, but then again if it's a play store update then it should be working right?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Outside shots with it can be very good, inside shots are a different story. For me anyway. And many others.

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Outside shots with it can be very good, inside shots are a different story. For me anyone. And many others.

100% agree. I don't understand what makes the camera on the nexus 5 so much better than the X that Google was able to improve it so dramatically and Motorola cannot. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
100% agree. I don't understand what makes the camera on the nexus 5 so much better than the X that Google was able to improve it so dramatically and Motorola cannot. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mostly likely they have different hardware.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Mostly likely they have different hardware.

I believe the N5 has OIS. The moto does not.

On a side note, I gave up on the N5 because the autofocus would never behave.
I have to say I agree with the guys that say you are you using the wrong tool (phone) for good pics. I look at all the pics I take on a 52 inch TV on a random cycle. IPhone5s, N5, moto x all have grain. I was most disappointed by the iP5 because of all the hype. I picked up an RX100 and it trashes all of them. If you want to keep the pics use something better. If they are throw always, who cares?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Rhezick

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Try clearing the Camera app data and cache, uninstall updates (return to factory settings), retart your phone, then reinstall the update from Google Play.

Just tried it and no luck... really weird. I've never had a situation where I've installed an app directly from the play store and it didn't do anything.

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you might want to try 4.4. Nothing is true is spot on here. Update to kitkat and then update the camera app and give it a go. Good luck!
Just tried it and no luck... really weird. I've never had a situation where I've installed an app directly from the play store and it didn't do anything.

lanzfernandez

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

that's the reason why I still have my iPhone. Moto X and iPhone combo is great for me. Android iOS combo!

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe the N5 has OIS. The moto does not.

On a side note, I gave up on the N5 because the autofocus would never behave.
I have to say I agree with the guys that say you are you using the wrong tool (phone) for good pics. I look at all the pics I take on a 52 inch TV on a random cycle. IPhone5s, N5, moto x all have grain. I was most disappointed by the iP5 because of all the hype. I picked up an RX100 and it trashes all of them. If you want to keep the pics use something better. If they are throw always, who cares?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Yep, they're all pretty grainy when viewed full size!

Sent from my Moto X

Peacen1k

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Completely agree with the OP. The camera software is incapable of adequately dealing with nonoptimal lighting conditions which happen indoors most of the time.

The camera hardware is good, because changing the ISO manually with a different camera app produces much better results. The problem with this is that every camera app I've tried becomes really laggy on this phone when the ISO mode is switched to manual, which leads me to believe there is some kind of a camera driver problem.

Either way, this is unacceptable and needs to be fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699