Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop Update News

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I could use some help with a couple of things with Android 5.1, if anyone has the knowledge....

When my phone was on 4.4.4, I was able to select a British voice for "Touchless Control". Since the update, it's defaulted back to that grating American female voice. Is there a way to change it back?

My Power Toggle doesn't seem to work for toggling Data on/off anymore. Now when I push on the toggle button, it brings up the data settings menu, where I then have to toggle it on/off. I was under the impression that 5.1 was supposed to make things FASTER....

With Android 5.0 and above, Tasker can no longer toggle on/off the cell radios (the best alternative for not being able to toggle on/off Airplane mode).

All in all, it seems that with this update, I've traded functionality for some pretty colors, and I'm not very pleased about it. Does anyone know of any workarounds for these things?

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I could use some help with a couple of things with Android 5.1, if anyone has the knowledge....

When my phone was on 4.4.4, I was able to select a British voice for "Touchless Control". Since the update, it's defaulted back to that grating American female voice. Is there a way to change it back?

My Power Toggle doesn't seem to work for toggling Data on/off anymore. Now when I push on the toggle button, it brings up the data settings menu, where I then have to toggle it on/off. I was under the impression that 5.1 was supposed to make things FASTER....

With Android 5.0 and above, Tasker can no longer toggle on/off the cell radios (the best alternative for not being able to toggle on/off Airplane mode).

All in all, it seems that with this update, I've traded functionality for some pretty colors, and I'm not very pleased about it. Does anyone know of any workarounds for these things?
I don't have lollipop but if you haven't tried it already, try wiping your cache partition or uninstalling, reinstalling your power toggle app. There was at least one person who said that worked for the app. Maybe the wiping cache might get the British voice back too?

Sent from my XT1060 Moto X DE

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't have lollipop but if you haven't tried it already, try wiping your cache partition or uninstalling, reinstalling your power toggle app. There was at least one person who said that worked for the app. Maybe the wiping cache might get the British voice back too?

Sent from my XT1060 Moto X DE

Thank you for your help. This seems to have fixed the British voice issue. But it seems that the Data toggle thing is a System issue. For "security" purposes, Google has blocked these toggles from working any longer. In order to get that functionality back, I would have to Root the phone.

I don't understand this... If Android is supposed to be the "open" platform, why is it that with each new OS release, more and more of the system settings are blocked off?

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your help. This seems to have fixed the British voice issue. But it seems that the Data toggle thing is a System issue. For "security" purposes, Google has blocked these toggles from working any longer. In order to get that functionality back, I would have to Root the phone.

I don't understand this... If Android is supposed to be the "open" platform, why is it that with each new OS release, more and more of the system settings are blocked off?
Have you tried long pressing the toggle?

Galaxy S6

driazen

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if AT&T will run a soak test week(s) before their version as well? It's been so long since the last update I can't remember how long it took us to get it after the vanilla version.

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop News

Hey guys, on your moto x, when you use a voice recorder app, is the volume of the sound extremely low compared to other devices?

I just got my moto x recently and this is bugging me, is it a software or hardware issue? if it is a hardware issue should i return the phone as it may affect the quality of my phone calls too?(haven't made a phone call yet, getting my nano SIM soon) if it's a software issue do you guys think they will fix it in the lollipop update?

It's a software issue with the voice recorder app. If you record video, the audio is fine - so this verifies it is not a hardware issue. The voice recorder app may be utilizing the incorrect microphone on the Moto X..

TelecasterM

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

5.1 is running smooth. Only trouble I had was with Youtube app not playing videos, but a reboot of the phone fixed that. I did NOT do a factory reset. I don't see any performance difference from KK, it's just as smooth. No stutter. I like the new features, esp the pulldown shade.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

Are you guys getting this lock screen notification when you are at home? I am not sure I like the Lollipop implementation of Moto Assist...

Screenshot_2015-06-20-12-37-49.png

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

"Mobile Standby" is draining my battery. It's responsible for nearly 30% of my battery usage since last night. Is anyone else seeing this with "Mobile Standby" in their battery usage? This was something that never occurred on 4.4.4, and i don't know what's causing it now.

After 24 hrs, Lollipop has given me more trouble than it's worth.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

"Mobile Standby" is draining my battery. It's responsible for nearly 30% of my battery usage since last night. Is anyone else seeing this with "Mobile Standby" in their battery usage? This was something that never occurred on 4.4.4, and i don't know what's causing it now.

After 24 hrs, Lollipop has given me more trouble than it's worth.
Wow. Mine came off the charger at 7 AM and now at 6:25 PM it shows I have 60% charge or approximately 17 hours left. Oh, Mobile Standby shows 1%. I'm thrilled.

KyonCoraeL

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Often after large android updates, wiping the phone and reinstalling your apps is the best option. Rogue apps from kit kat running on android are deadly for battery life.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Wow. Mine came off the charger at 7 AM and now at 6:25 PM it shows I have 60% charge or approximately 17 hours left. Oh, Mobile Standby shows 1%. I'm thrilled.

What was your SOT for this period? How about cell signal strength?

I'm guessing that with KitKat and similar usage, you were getting worse battery life?

I'm on Verizon and am patiently waiting for L. Improved battery life would be huge for me.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

What was your SOT for this period?
55M\m 2%
How about cell signal strength?
Bar is half green and the rest alternates between red and yellow. (I was out of town for several hours this afternoon.)
WiFI shows a solid green bar.

I'm guessing that with KitKat and similar usage, you were getting worse battery life?
I would say yes. Presently I have been off the charger for 15 hours and have 49% charge left.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

55M\m 2%

Bar is half green and the rest alternates between red and yellow. (I was out of town for several hours this afternoon.)
WiFI shows a solid green bar.

I would say yes. Presently I have been off the charger for 15 hours and have 49% charge left.
That's much better battery performance than what I would expect to get under similar conditions and usage. Thanks for posting this.

I hope I see similar improvement