Moto X (1st gen): Lollipop Update News

Breezy1019

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Well you shouldn't put all the blame on Motorola. It's more the carrier's fault. But I see what point you make.

Posted via the Android Central App

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I am definitely sticking with my Moto X 1st gen for as long as I possibly can. This phone is just the right size for me and it fits in my hand very nicely. I'm not a huge fan of cell phones with really big screens. Anything over a 5" screen is just too big for me. The specs on the Style look great but I don't like the fact that the screen is 5.7".

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Complete silence from David Schuster for more than a week.
It's been nearly a month since he said they were ready to go into Verizon to test.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I am definitely sticking with my Moto X 1st gen for as long as I possibly can. This phone is just the right size for me and it fits in my hand very nicely. I'm not a huge fan of cell phones with really big screens. Anything over a 5" screen is just too big for me. The specs on the Style look great but I don't like the fact that the screen is 5.7".

I agree. The screen size is one of the things that appealed to me most with this phone. It's very easy for me to use one hand to do everything I need to. I came from the Galaxy S3 and this felt so much better. I'm kind of disappointed with Moto for not offering a Moto X in a smaller size last year or this year. It seems like the Moto G has taken the place of what the Moto X 2013 was at the time. Even that has a 5 inch screen now. I hope they come out with another Droid Turbo with the same screen size as last years because if I get a bigger phone I want it to be around 5 inches with a monster battery.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The screen size is one of the things that appealed to me most with this phone. It's very easy for me to use one hand to do everything I need to. I came from the Galaxy S3 and this felt so much better. I'm kind of disappointed with Moto for not offering a Moto X in a smaller size last year or this year. It seems like the Moto G has taken the place of what the Moto X 2013 was at the time. Even that has a 5 inch screen now. I hope they come out with another Droid Turbo with the same screen size as last years because if I get a bigger phone I want it to be around 5 inches with a monster battery.

I came from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to Motorola X 2013 too. It seems like the phone manufacturers are more concerned with making phones with bigger screens than they are with making any of the smaller screen phones. Not everyone has giant hands that can hold those bigger phones with one hand. My boss has the Droid Turbo and while it is a nice phone, I held it once and it was almost too big for me to hold comfortably.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
It seems like the phone manufacturers are more concerned with making phones with bigger screens than they are with making any of the smaller screen phones.

I hear you. People are going to have to wear "cargo pants" in order to have pockets big enough to put their phones in. I saw where some fashion spokesperson said the cargo pant was going out of style. It looks like cell phone manufacturers are going to force their return. (Yippee! I've got several pair. I still don't want a bigger phone however.)

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I would just like to have this update already. Actually, at this point I don't think I even care if it comes to the phone but I would like to know one way or the other. I'm checking that David Schuster guy's Google Plus account and he's been quiet for the last week or so.

jmcp4372

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I come peek at this thread every once in a while. After everyone here gets the update, plus a month, I hope Sprint will roll it out. GF's Nexus 4 has had it since day one, and runs well on that older device.

Posted via Android Central App

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

You poor sap! *LOL* Just Kidding. I used to be with Verizon until I got sick and tired of paying the high prices that they charge for their service a few months ago. I'm now with AT&T's Go Phone service and I was able to receive the update on my phone. I've got a Motorola X Developer Edition (purchased outright through Amazon - no contract needed) and since it's the CDMA version it worked on Verizon but it was also GSM Unlocked so it was easy to flash it over to AT&T's prepaid service. In my opinion, it seems like Verizon just loves to drag their feet on rolling out some updates while other phones (High Dollar) get their updates rather quickly. That's just an observation that I've noticed on multiple phones that I've had with them.

Cindy

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, it seems like Verizon just loves to drag their feet on rolling out some updates while other phones (High Dollar) get their updates rather quickly.

Not necessarily the high-dollar phones, but the newest flagship phones, which shouldn't be a surprise. When the Moto X was new, the Verizon version got Kit Kat before almost any of the other phones on the market--including some of the other Nexus phones. As phones age (and begin to cost less), they are no longer a priority.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think I'm chalking it up.
I've lost faith that they will release a version of Lollipop for the Verizon variant that is better than 4.4.4
I'll be attempting to ride this device on 4.4.4 until they come out with a reasonably sized android device worth buying. I really don't want to do a phone > 5.2"

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
It's been nearly a month since he said they were ready to go into Verizon to test.

Seems like Mr. Shuslter is missing in action...Along with broken promises? Oh! well, I too will keep my Moto X 2013, with 4.4.4 as long as I can. Works very well!

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

Seems like Mr. Shuslter is missing in action...Along with broken promises? Oh! well, I too will keep my Moto X 2013, with 4.4.4 as long as I can. Works very well!
Looking through the problems on these forums, I would rather them get it right than releasing software that causes people to have to change phones in order to get rid of it. Lollipop has had a ton of fundamental problems reported on Moto X by many, and it might be better for them to skip over 5.1 and even 5.1.1, until they get it right for that device.

Sent from my XT1060 Moto X DE

migdalorguy

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Then tell us there are still more delays. The issue is the silence. A knowledgable and informed user is more likely to remain a customer when there is transparency.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Per David Schuster at https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/ELem72p52ws : Stagefright and re-spin at VZW...

Hey guys.... sorry for the radio silence, I had a family emergency so I have been out of pocket for a while. Anyway, here is some info on the StageFright issue.

I see there are a few questions about how these patches will be applied. In some cases they have been incorporated into Android OS upgrades that have yet to be deployed (which has caused us to respin a number of releases already in labs, ugh) and in other cases will be incorporated into new point releases.