Moto X (2013) - Major problems after Lollipop update, can I please get some help?

coreyr1

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
My Moto-X on VZW will not make calls and tells me "no cellular network" after updating to 5.1

I can use data for apps/browsing/maps and can also send and receive txt messages but cannot make or receive phone calls. I have cleared cache and also done a device hard reset but I still have the same issue. VZW tech support told me it must be a "hardware issue" but this phone worked perfectly before the 5.1 update.

Anyone have any suggestions of what else to try?

Thanks!

Vanessa C

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
My Moto-X on VZW will not make calls and tells me "no cellular network" after updating to 5.1

I can use data for apps/browsing/maps and can also send and receive txt messages but cannot make or receive phone calls. I have cleared cache and also done a device hard reset but I still have the same issue. VZW tech support told me it must be a "hardware issue" but this phone worked perfectly before the 5.1 update.

Anyone have any suggestions of what else to try?

Thanks!

coreyr1, I know you posted a few weeks ago, but you need to go to the Verizon store for a new sim card. I had the EXACT same problem after updating my Moto X from Kitkat to Lollipop-- "no cellular network" with phone calls, but was able to text and use internet/maps just fine. I called Verizon, but they kept insisting it must be a hardware issue and tried convincing me to buy a new phone. I knew they were wrong because my sister also has a Moto X and also experienced the same problem after upgrading to Lollipop a week after I did. After a lot of research and trial and error, I removed the sim card and put it into my friend's fully functional Verizon Android phone... he then got "no network connection" on his phone too! So the problem was not my phone, but rather the sim card, which somehow got fried during the Lollipop update (don't ask me how).

I walked into the Verizon store today, told them what happened when I switched the sim cards, and they gave me a new sim card on the spot, completely free. Now I can make phone calls again!! :D No need to factory reset your phone or downgrade back to KitKat. I hope my comment is not too late and that this works for you!! Best of luck!

coreyr1

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Vanessa,

Thanks for the reply, that's good info! I should have went to a store rather than calling support. I bit the bullet and upgraded to a Droid Turbo 2 rather than dealing with the Moto X any more. I do miss the compact size of the original Moto X but other than that, this new phone is working out well.

Corey

Michael Rennaker

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto X (2013) - Major Problems After Lollipop Update

I had a problem like this with Mobile Data, which i just fixed this afternoon with the help of Tech Support from Motorola. I also have T-Mobile service and the guy I spoke to said that he's seen a few cases like this since the Lollipop update, all on T-Mobile phones. Maybe his solution for me will work for you as well:

Go to Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names.

Click on the one that says, "T-Mobile US 260 LTE". Don't select it. Click on the left side of it so you can Edit it.

Scroll through the settings. Make sure the following things are set correctly:

MCC - 310
MNC - 260
APN type - default,mms,supl,hipri,fota (no spaces)
APN protocol - IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol - IPv4/IPv6

Click on the three dots in the upper right corner and Save.

If T-Mobile US 260 LTE isn't the selected choice, select it now. Then, reboot the phone and test your mobile data connection with WiFi turned off.

wesleykins

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
...you need to go to the Verizon store for a new sim card. I had the EXACT same problem after updating my Moto X from Kitkat to Lollipop-- "no cellular network" with phone calls, but was able to text and use internet/maps just fine. I called Verizon, but they kept insisting it must be a hardware issue and tried convincing me to buy a new phone. I knew they were wrong because my sister also has a Moto X and also experienced the same problem after upgrading to Lollipop a week after I did...

...they gave me a new sim card on the spot, completely free. Now I can make phone calls again!! :D No need to factory reset your phone or downgrade back to KitKat...

I'd like to add a "me too" to this answer. (Thanks Vanessa!)

A new SIM did the trick.

I've been fighting this "cellular network unavailable" error for 2 months since the upgrade to Lollipop.

Data worked fine, and SMS came through (if later than it should) but could not reliably make calls. My phone was basically unusable as a phone.

Verizon also tried to convince me that my phone was bad and I should upgrade.*

Too bad I already did a factory reset on my phone...

Working great now. Thanks for the tip!

-Wes

*speaking of upgrading, where can I get a Moto X Pure Edition that is the size of my 2013 Moto X? *sigh* Not all of us want Phablets.

Last edited:

wesleykins

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I spoke too soon.

The SIM upgrade seemed to work because I was able to make a call in the Verizon store.

Of course it stopped working a few hours after that.

I have LTE working, but CMDA is not connected at all.

-Wes

Sam K1955

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Everything was great with the FIRST Lollipop update (to 5.0.1). I kept checking to see if the 5.1 update was available, but every time I checked it said I had the latest version. Today my phone was making some alert noises I wasn't familiar with and I manually rebooted it. It went through a whole routine whereby it optimized every single app (90 of them). It took 15 minutes, and was a real P.I.T.A. I then checked the update status and it's 5.1, not 5.0.1. I rebooted my phone again (manually) hoping I would not have to go through the whole optimization thing again, but it went through the whole damn optimizing of all 90 apps again. This is unacceptable. I NEVER had any problems with this phone before the update, now it takes 15 minutes to reboot and drains the batter 10% in the process. Is there a fix? Can I go back to 5.0.1? I have a normal, non-rooted phone. (NOTE: I have WiFi and haven't noticed any unexpected reboots.) Supposedly the only change from 5.0.1 to 5.1 was the Stagefright virus fix, right?

Sam K1955

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I thought I would say it before someone else did.

You're not the first person to report this symptom. Is your phone on the charger when this happens?
No. And it was fully charged (the second time). I figured the first time it happened it was because the update was simply completing itself. The second time it happened I figured it was a problem with the update.

Sam K1955

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Here is a thread on the Motorola forum that discusses behavior similar to yours:

There are a lot of posts to read through and I don't know if they came up with a solution.
Thanks. I posted on a Moto X forum; I think it was that one but I never saw that thread.

UPDATE: I rebooted a third time and it did NOT repeat the optimization routine. I think I might know what the problem was. The first time I rebooted it didn't show an app installed (there was a green Androidbot instead of the apps' icon, and when I touched it an "app not installed" message appeared), so I had to delete the Androidbot icon and re-add/install the app. Apparently, that triggers a total re-optimization the next time the phone is rebooted. (If ALL the apps aren't included in the first optimization, it re-optimizes all the apps, not just the app that was missed the first time around. After that, the phone now boots normally.)

Last edited:

Weniki7

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
So, my Moto X kept bugging me to get an update for lollipop. I kept clicking on "No thanks", but it kept popping up every time I used my phone. After a week, I just accepted the update just to get it off my back. After it turned on again, I hardly recognized my old, beloved phone. I HATE HATE HATE this new update! It is SO AWFUL!! Now I am apparently stuck with it! My old Moto X was so wonderful, user-friendly, easy and perfect. It was seriously awesome. I had never had a phone I loved so much. Now I just hate it's guts. The font is smaller and harder to read. Even the guy at Sprint says it can't get any bigger. The whole system is WAY harder to navigate. It lost my daughter's contact information and all the texts and photos I had saved from her. WHY couldn't they have left it the way it was!?!?! WHY wouldn't we have a choice in the matter!?!? The folks at Sprint said it was Google's update. I called Google and they said it was Motorola's update. I called Motorola and they blamed it on Google again. I called Google again and the lady called Motorola while I was on the phone with her for a three-way conversation to find out WHO CREATED THIS UPDATE!?!? The lady from Motorola hung up on us. Apparently, Motorola is the culprit. I can't wait to get a new phone, and it will NOT be a Motorola. Stupid, stupid, stupid. People purchase phones based on their ease of use, ability to navigate it, etc, etc. If we liked it when we bought it, why change it up!?!?! Stupid Motorola. Just lost a customer!!! : /

wesleykins

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Weniki,

This is the update to Android 5.1 that all new Android users have.

If you buy a new Android phone, this is what it comes with. We're actually quite lucky to be getting this update on such an old phone - it's one of the reasons to buy Motorola over other brands.

Sorry you're unhappy with it. It only took me a few days to get used to the new user interface, and it's actually quite nice.

It can be frustrating at first when things aren't the way you've gotten used to, but many of the design changes actually are helpful.

You should give it a chance.

-Wes

Sam K1955

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Weniki7

The biggest aesthetic issue I found with Lollipop is the damn 'material design'. I hate the black on white menus, and the inability to have a 'dark theme'. Even with the new Marshmallow they've refused to include a dark theme to at least give users an option. It's like the old days of MS shoving their plans down our throats without any other options.

istaylor

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
After reading about the grief my fellow Moto X 2013 Verizon users have had, I'd like to stick to KK. How do I stop the daily reminders prompting me to update to 5.1...and remove the notification in the top pull-down? Thanks in advance!

My solution to stop update notifications was to root, and then install Titanium Backup, and "freeze" MotorolaOTA 1.0. hope this helps

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere, but can someone please tell me if there is an improvement in the picture quality, especially indoor/low light, with the Lollipop update?

Still on KitKat, hesitant to lose data or have some of the problems mentioned on here with the Lollipop update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty