Visual Voice Mail icon doesn't dial Basic Voice Mail for Verizon after update Sep2015

sv Ragtime

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The system update 222.26.7.en.US changed the operation of the voicemail icon on my Moto X. It now tries to install a Visual Voice Mail app that according to Verizon will show a list of voicemail messages and allow me to select the one I want to hear, vs. the old method of listening to new or saved messages one by one. The only problem is that Verizon will now charge $2.99 a month for this "service" that I was fine with the old one and no additional charges.

Anyone know how to remedy this? As it is, I'm stuck with a) swallowing the extra cost or b) having a non-working icon on my phone that cannot be deleted/removed, and having to manually dial *86 to get to the Basic Voice Mail system.

I'm happy to reply to any detail I've left out that would help resolve this, as it is, I'm pretty well disappointed in this kind of extortion by Verizon and/or Motorola, whomever is truly responsible.

Thank you,

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Moto X with 5.1 has free Basic Visual Voicemail. It was a pain to get it working, but now works fine.
I posted a fix for this a few months ago either here or on XDA. I don't remember which.
If you do a search for Visual Voicemail in the Moto X general forums, you'll probably find it.

sv Ragtime

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
firespsych, thanks for the reply. As a "newbie" here, I've not found success in searching for your fix. Any additional guidance is appreciated.