Moto X (2014) —*Show off your design!

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
My daughter (who is too young for a phone) is very proud of her dream phone design:

Turquoise back, Silver Accents, White front and a Chalk Hula Case.

9ere6yba.jpg

I think it looks nice and we'll coordinated!

Sent from my Moto X

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The description on the website says "soft touch" for both the Warm category. However, that description doesn't appear when you select Neutral or Cool.

Black was soft touch on the 2013 Moto X, but White, Chalk and Slate were smooth. All the blue hues were soft touch too.

Sent from my Moto X

I chatted with someone from Motorola this evening to get verification this topic. You were right: The "Warm" colors have a "soft touch" back, while all of the other colors are smooth (including black and the dark blues). They also consider the leather backs to be "soft touch", which is fair enough I guess...

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not the wood backs are all genuine woods, or if it's a different kind of wood that is treated to look like the various types of wood they offer. Buying things for their look is one thing, but I prefer to know that what I'm buying is genuine. Otherwise, I can just save the extra money and buy one of the plastic backs.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out whether or not the wood backs are all genuine woods, or if it's a different kind of wood that is treated to look like the various types of wood they offer. Buying things for their look is one thing, but I prefer to know that what I'm buying is genuine. Otherwise, I can just save the extra money and buy one of the plastic backs.

The bamboo is the only guaranteed genuine material. The other woods are real wood stained to appear like walnut, teak or ebony.

That's one reason I prefer the bamboo, but it's not a deal-breaker for me if I decide one of the other finishes works better. After all, it doesn't bother me when my wood furniture is stained rather than its natural color.

Sent from my Moto X

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I chatted with someone from Motorola this evening to get verification this topic. You were right: The "Warm" colors have a "soft touch" back, while all of the other colors are smooth (including black and the dark blues). They also consider the leather backs to be "soft touch", which is fair enough I guess...

If that's the case then I'll probably skip the blue plastics this time (my current X is Navy.) I definitely want the soft touch if I get plastic. Leaning towards wood even more.

A reviewer on PC World had 3 Moto X's in each of the material types. His plastic one was black and he was lauding the quality feel of the soft-touch back. Hopefully there will be some full displays at the stores soon so we can see for ourselves.

Sent from my Moto X

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The bamboo is the only guaranteed genuine material. The other woods are real wood stained to appear like walnut, teak or ebony.

That's one reason I prefer the bamboo, but it's not a deal-breaker for me if I decide one of the other finishes works better. After all, it doesn't bother me when my wood furniture is stained rather than its natural color.

I'm a fan of bamboo for it's reduced environmental impact compared to chopping down trees (bamboo is really a weed). So I wanted to know whether or not it was real before I thought about getting it. So thanks for that info. I'm trying to decide whether to go for a plastic back, or a bamboo one, but I wonder how a bamboo back would look with a black front.... You don't see that combo ANYWHERE, so I'm skeptical.

A reviewer on PC World had 3 Moto X's in each of the material types. His plastic one was black and he was lauding the quality feel of the soft-touch back. Hopefully there will be some full displays at the stores soon so we can see for ourselves.

I read that review as well, so now I'm confused all over again. Hopefully they have displays this time around. Last year, before I bought my Moto X, I went into an AT&T store to look at the backs, and it was the first time I had realized that they didn't all feel the same. I asked a salesperson to help me figure out why some of the colors felt softer than others. He touched a couple of them and said they felt the same to him! I thought I was going insane at that point and called it a day.

Last edited:

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I like the idea of the bamboo being more "green" than the other options. I don't think bamboo and black front are a bad combo. I think it's the plastic trim colors from the first Moto X and the metal trim colors of the new Moto X that really sway people to combine it with the white front.

Sent from my Moto X

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about going with a black front, bamboo back, and gold trim.

Also the whole low battery issue looks like it can be addressed by buying one of those 40 dollar keychain battery things, should do the trick. I would go with the blue one but they are sold out.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm kinda color blind. Would the cognac be reddish? If so this may be close to my Redskins colors!

Posted via Android Central App
There is a slight red to it, but I would better describe the cognac as (American) football color.

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm genuinely surprised to see that the vast majority of people re going with wood and leather backing, not that it looks bad, but I was convinced that both of those were kind of a niche thing.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm genuinely surprised to see that the vast majority of people re going with wood and leather backing, not that it looks bad, but I was convinced that both of those were kind of a niche thing.

I think wood is awesome and no other phone is like it. Leather...Ehh not my thing I guess! But I'm willing to chance the wood.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm a fan of bamboo for it's reduced environmental impact compared to chopping down trees (bamboo is really a weed). So I wanted to know whether or not it was real before I thought about getting it. So thanks for that info. I'm trying to decide whether to go for a plastic back, or a bamboo one, but I wonder how a bamboo back would look with a black front.... You don't see that combo ANYWHERE, so I'm skeptical.

Well the other woods are from FSC-certified, sustainable and managed forests, so at least they're not chopping down trees at random.

I went with ebony on my original Moto X (which is great btw), but I think I'm going Teak this time around. Just can't decide on the accent color.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well the other woods are from FSC-certified, sustainable and managed forests, so at least they're not chopping down trees at random.

I went with ebony on my original Moto X (which is great btw), but I think I'm going Teak this time around. Just can't decide on the accent color.

So glad to hear this! I got the Ebony for my Moto X 14'. Excited to see what it looks like in person!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao