Buy Moto X now or wait for Nexus 6?

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm finding it easier to wait for news on a new device since the X was a long wait anyway and now is already sold out at Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App

AndroidIsMyThing

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You can't wait a couple of months? Get a grip. Wait for the news, then buy a phone. I'm sure the phone you have is perfectly adequate. You should be able to hold out for another 2 months.

I have an Lg flip phone with a battery life of 4 hours on standby and a missing button. I need a new phone soon unless I want to charge it constantly. I probably will wait a bit though, because the Moto X has a huge wait right now.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
It's enormous... but they are going to school Apple on how to make a phablet. And everyone else, actually. Too bad they don't actually market the Nexus, this could really be something. It is too big for my taste but isn't that what everyone said about the Note?

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Android Police claims to have a reliable source and are now 90% positive the new Nexus smartphone will be the 5.9" spec-ed device we've been hearing about: This Is The Motorola Nexus 6: A 5.9" QHD Display, 3200mAh+ Battery, Dual Front-Facing Speakers, And More

This, along with the positive real world usage feedback here and at XDA, have compelled me to now favor the Moto X. I think it will be my next. I will miss wireless charging, but everything else seems better.

I am a bit jealous of the specs honestly. I wouldn't mind dual speakers, OIS, bigger battery for my X. I don't know what Motorola was thinking because it sounds better than their own Moto X. However, I've already have experience with the OnePlus and even at 5.5" doesn't work out for me. So there is no chance of me getting this one, but I know a lot of people liking big phones so I'll be recommending them.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am a bit jealous of the specs honestly. I wouldn't mind dual speakers, OIS, bigger battery for my X. I don't know what Motorola was thinking because it sounds better than their own Moto X. However, I've already have experience with the OnePlus and even at 5.5" doesn't work out for me. So there is no chance of me getting this one, but I know a lot of people liking big phones so I'll be recommending them.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the Moto X. Getting a little cold feet.

After taxes, the price of the screen protectors (from Motorola's website), 32GB storage, and even with the educational discount, it's about $560 dollars. Too expensive for a marginally upgraded Nexus 5, I think? I don't know.

Torn.

AndroidIsMyThing

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
It's enormous... but they are going to school Apple on how to make a phablet. And everyone else, actually. Too bad they don't actually market the Nexus, this could really be something. It is too big for my taste but isn't that what everyone said about the Note?

Posted via Android Central App

If android phones like the nexus line or the moto x (and not Samsung with their android ruining touch wiz, no offense to Samsung users out there, just an opinion) were actually marketed, a lot less people would own iPhones. Nobody really knows what 'stock' android is and it makes me sad.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

After taxes, the price of the screen protectors (from Motorola's website), 32GB storage, and even with the educational discount, it's about $560 dollars. Too expensive for a marginally upgraded Nexus 5, I think? I don't know.

Torn.
It's all about the experience. You should see if you think the Moto X features, like Assist, Voice, Display are useful. If you don't need them, maybe it is not required to upgrade the phone, it is possible to mimic some of these features by third party softwares, just they won't be as seamless and well put together. The build is much more premium than the N5. You can look forward to the Shamu which will have better specs if you don't mind the size.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

viking2.0

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted to get the motox but was worried about battery life. It may be good now but a few months or a year from now it might not be enough. And i hate disabling features on my phone just to get more battery life. Held the new moto X in at&t store and it was solid as a rock but camera in low light is another concern. All this pushed me towards the Z3.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Torn.

I finally got to see one today and I think I'm going to hold out and see the Droid Turbo if not wait till next year for the third generation. While the phone is really awesome and feels great, I don't see the me waisting an upgrade for it. Which is odd since I was all for this phone earlier.

Posted via the Android Central App

AndroidIsMyThing

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I suspect the release date posted on Phonebloks.com is like the first availability date for Google Glass: limited, and expensive.

Phone bloks isn't what I'm talking about. It's not run by Google. I have read on multiple sources that they are aiming to have a basic version of a modular phone available in January for $50 dollars. It's going to be wifi only, but you'll be able to add modules as the come out.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Phone bloks isn't what I'm talking about. It's not run by Google. I have read on multiple sources that they are aiming to have a basic version of a modular phone available in January for $50 dollars. It's going to be wifi only, but you'll be able to add modules as the come out.

I've found the references to a January release date with the $50 price. Most of the articles are from April, but the most recent ones (like the Android Central one you linked) say that it seems to be on schedule and will run a modified version of L that supports the modules. I'll believe it when I see it, personally, but something tells me $50 is not going to get you a full-featured smartphone. Based on what I've just read, that will get you a basic phone and you'll need to buy modules to add to it (like a camera).

If it really is $50, that's cheap enough to pick up in addition to whatever phone you have now (or will buy in the immediate future). I don't see a reason to hold off on any phone purchase for Project Ara. Just buy them both.

AndroidIsMyThing

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
something tells me $50 is not going to get you a full-featured smartphone. Based on what I've just read, that will get you a basic phone and you'll need to buy modules to add to it (like a camera).

It's a bare bones phone. Probably less than a gig of ram, and I have read that it will be wifi only. The point of it is to add on modules when they come out.

I'll probably still get the moto x as I really want a smartphone (I've only ever used a tablet). But if modular phomes work out, the Moto x will be my first and last normal smartphone?

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
The grey model is slated for release in January.

they look ugly as hell.

and at $ 50 they will appeal only to budget-conscious people.

people who instead of purchasing a galaxy pocket will buy the lego-phone so that in a couple of months time they can shell out another $40 for a new camera block, erm module, or what not.

might be fun to play around with it for an hour or two before you forget about it.

so there is really no comparison between that "phone" and the moto x.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo