Moto X Pure Edition and Verizon?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I see though that the pure edition supports the proper LTE bands on Verizon. Is it just a matter of Verizon not approving the device on its network?

Posted via Android Central App

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I see though that the pure edition supports the proper LTE bands on Verizon. Is it just a matter of Verizon not approving the device on its network?

Posted via Android Central App
Short answer- Yes. Verizon is a bunch of dickbags.

Longer (but still pretty short) answer- I haven't confirmed the full list of LTE bands that the Pure has or that Verizon requires (pretty much has to be a perfect match otherwise you wouldn't have access to the FULL Verizon network- which is kinda their only selling point) but all that's pretty much moot because they are VERY selective about what they allow on their network. In order for a phone to access Verizon's network, its serial number (ESN or whatever the particular device calls it) has to be whitelisted by Verizon. I haven't tried it myself because any missing LTE bands would surely mean zero service out here in the boonies, but I'm sure others have attempted to get devices manually whitelisted and I've not heard of a single success story to that end. Unfortunately, if you live anywhere NEAR flyover country, Verizon pretty much has you by the balls.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As long as CDMA is in play, Verizon holds all the cards. With LTE, and now with VoLTE coming, the question is open. It would be interesting to see what happens when a 4G/LTE sim card on VZW (that is already activated) is put in a Moto X Pure device. My guess is that the LTE would work. But you couldn't make phone calls. And SMS wouldn't work either.

When the 2013 Nexus 7 LTE came out, it was ready to work on Verizon's LTE network without CDMA. However, there was a problem because only CDMA devices could activate a Verizon SIM card. So, you couldn't activate the Nexus 7 on VZW with a new SIM card. But, if you put an activated SIM card into the Nexus 7, the LTE worked fine. About 6 months later, Verizon updated their network activation, and now you can activate sim card using only LTE, and Verizon began selling the Nexus 7 at that point.

The interesting thing will be what will happen with VoLTE. The current Moto X on VZW doesn't have VoLTE enabled, but indications are that it will come in a few months (I'm guessing/hoping with Android L). At that point, you MAY be able to put a Verizon SIM into a Moto X Pure Edition and even make phone calls, although I'm guessing you would have to port over the VZW VoLTE changes, which I would think would be easy since the Pure Edition can be unlocked :)

Almost makes me want to order one and try it!

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the thoughtful replies! After I posted this, the CDMA issue dawned on me, so it's very interesting to see these thoughts re VoLTE.

So, of course, my next question is, will the Verizon edition of the Moto X work on ATT or t-mobile? It looks like the Verizon version actually supports most of the proper radios, and Verizon doesn't lock it's LTE devices.

Posted via a mobile device, of course

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez