How does the Natural Leather Back feel? Does it scratch easily?

fluffymangoes

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
how does the natural leather feel? does it scratch easy? i heard the natural is most prone to scratching compared to cognac, black, and the other leathers. does the natural scratch as bad as this? moto-x-natural-leather-scratch-21-640x480.png thanks :)

TheRydad

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I sorta said the same thing in another thread, but based on my experience with the Cognac, I don't think you will see anything like the picture above through "normal" handling. If I remember correctly, the picture above was from a review. The scratches look like they done to test the material.

My Cognac back is about 4 weeks old and has a few small dings, but no deep or noticeable scratches. It lives in my pocket, the cup holder of my car and on table tops at coffee shops. I don't bang it around, but I am not intentionally careful about it, either. The picture below isn't great, but maybe you can see how well it has held up.

I am expecting to get some scuffs and scratches. As I said in another thread, on my devices I have embraced the "Millennium Falcon" effect that shows love and adventure. :)

-rd

20141110_094507.jpg

TheRydad

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
And sorry, I didn't answer the original question...

The leather feels great. It is high quality and gives the device a warm feel. When I set it down, I actually am less worried about scratching than I would be with a gloss or metal finish.

-rd

KevinMoto

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the Cognac as well - 4-5 weeks now. I am quite careful though... So far, it still looks new. I kept my S3 without any case for 2 1/2 yrs and it looks great still (back-up phone just in case)..,
My main concern is what will happen if I lay it down on a wet counter or pick it up if my hands aren't totally dry. Should I wipe some sort of leather sealer stuff on it like boots?

savini72

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have had my natural for 3 days and can say that it has a few noticeable dark spots where my fingers usually rest. It feels great and yes, it does scratch easy. But you can just buff it out with you finger if needed.

Picture added to show some of the dark spots
0942c4183f3c8ac10be828a48149d789.jpg

Last edited:

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the natural leather and it did seem to wear easily, but I expected that and rather liked it. I did not, however like the dark spots where my fingers rested. The scratches and scrapes added character but the spot from the oils on my skin, just looked dirty.

I cracked the screen on my original device and paid $125 for a repair. Motorola later said they could not repair and have me a code for a new handset. This time I picked the black leather. This is holding up much better.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dunc

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the cognac back and love it. It has a few marks, scuffs, etc. as would be expected with any real leather. It feels soft, it has gotten a little darker then when I got it (as soon as the Moto store offered it). I leave it back up whenever I'm out - meeting, bar, restaurant, etc. Everyone always tries to touch it / look at it. Everyone loves it.

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the black leather, and was quite worried when I received it I thought it would be terrible to look after and wished I had ordered the resin, but it's growing on me and actually seems quite durable. I feel quite vulnerable without a bumper as I always had one on my glass backed Nexus 4.
I like the leather back now and am pleased with my choice. Not sure how I would get on with anything lighter though? I would be scrubbing my hands before answering my phone!

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the cognac back and love it. It has a few marks, scuffs, etc. as would be expected with any real leather. It feels soft, it has gotten a little darker then when I got it (as soon as the Moto store offered it). I leave it back up whenever I'm out - meeting, bar, restaurant, etc. Everyone always tries to touch it / look at it. Everyone loves it.

Guys, I leave mine face down, does the paint wear off the small trims that keep the glass from touching the desk? Or are they cast?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38