Can I use my republic wireless Moto x 2 with AT&T?

A

AC Question

can I use my republic wireless moto x 2 with at&t

We purchased a new moto x 2 with republic wireless but want to switch to at&t. Is it unlocked, will my stored data transfer, do I need to go through some sort of rooting and unlocking process to make it work?

Daniel Grifo

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: can I use my republic wireless moto x 2 with at&t

don't know the answer but I have the same question. I was going to go to a cricket AT&T store near me and see if I can swap out the sim card for an AT&T card. Maybe I will if my Republic Wireless service doesn't work out

Posted via the Android Central App

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

When I was originally planning to join Republic Wireless and buy the original Moto X, I was informed that the phones were carrier locked due to the special ROM that makes the WiFi to Cell handoff work properly. I suspect that the same thing is true for the 2014 Moto X.

I don't know how possible it is, but if you were to somehow unlock the phone, root it, and install a new ROM, you might be able to get it to work, but even then I'm not sure. Republic Wireless runs off of the Sprint network, and they use different cell bands than AT&T, so even if you were successful in doing all of this, it still might not work on AT&T.

If you go into the RW forum, there are people there who would be able to answer your question better.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-1811

The SIM cannot be used in another phone, nor can another SIM be used in the Moto X.
If you're upgrading or replacing a Moto X (1st Gen. and 2nd Gen. or same generation), you don't need to switch or replace the SIM cards.
The SIM card is only used for access to Sprint’s 4G LTE and can’t be used to store contacts or any other data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana