Flash Verizon firmware on an AT&T phone?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I use a factory unlocked device on Verizon with unlocked firmware. As far as I'm concerned, there aren't any useful Verizon "features" just Verizon bloatware. There's nothing missing for Verizon that is in their bloatware that serves any purpose to me. Unlocked has everything I need.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Now I'm curious. If I were to flash the U1 firmware to my Verizon S22 Ultra, would I receive updates from Samsung or Verizon?

Keep in mind, my model code wouldn't change. It would still be: SM-S908UZGEVZW.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Now I'm curious. If I were to flash the U1 firmware to my Verizon S22 Ultra, would I receive updates from Samsung or Verizon?

Keep in mind, my model code wouldn't change. It would still be: SM-S908UZGEVZW.
Your model code would change to SM-S908U1 if you flashed the U1. And on that firmware the carriers certify it and Samsung pushes it out , you get Samsung start up screen with no carrier stuff attached

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Your model code would change to SM-S908U1 if you flashed the U1. And on that firmware the carriers certify it and Samsung pushes it out , you get Samsung start up screen with no carrier stuff attached
But that is the model number, not the model code. We've already established they are different. The firmware and model number change, but the model code does not. That model code is set at the factory, and (I believe) is linked to the phone's IMEI not the SIM's IMEI. The model code is also linked to the CSC code.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But that is the model number, not the model code. We've already established they are different. The firmware and model number change, but the model code does not. That model code is set at the factory, and (I believe) is linked to the phone's IMEI not the SIM's IMEI.
Which model code are you referring to?

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
These model codes:

Model# Model Code
SM-S908U SM-S908UZGEVZW - Verizon S22 Ultra
SM-S908U SM-S908UZGFATT - AT&T S22 Ultra
SM-S908U SM-S908UZGFXAU - T-Mobile S22 Ultra
SM-S908U SM-S908UZGFUSC - US Cellular S22 Ultra
SM-S908U1 SM-S908UDRFXAA - USA Unbranded S22 Ultra

Those don't change. They are set at the factory.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
These model codes:

SM-S908UZGEVZW - Verizon S22 Ultra
SM-S908UZGFATT - AT&T S22 Ultra
SM-S908UZGFXAU - T-Mobile S22 Ultra
SM-S908UZGFUSC - US Cellular S22 Ultra
SM-S908UDRFXAA - USA Unbranded S22 Ultra

Those don't change. They are set at the factory.
Right but u said if you flashed to U1 that would change

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
That is the crux of my question. By flashing U1 firmware, it changes my model# to SM-908U1, but my model code will still be SM-S908UZGEVZW. Does Samsung now handle updates or would Verizon? Since I am still in the US and still on Verizon's network, my CSC would remain the same. Correct?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That is the crux of my question. By flashing U1 firmware, it changes my model# to SM-908U1, but my model code will still be SM-S908UZGEVZW. Does Samsung now handle updates or would Verizon? Since I am still in the US and still on Verizon's network, my CSC would remain the same. Correct?
The model code will change once you flash to U1 it's different from the carrier version as well as build number the carrier firmware can have different build numbers between carrier depending what they alter but unlock U1 firmware will be the same no matter what sim is in the device

This my s23u unlocked firmware U1 from Samsung with T-Mobile sim
c55912c4ac6ff490d487e2c1e07fe901.jpg

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
The model code will change once you flash to U1 it's different from the carrier version as well as build number the carrier firmware can have different build numbers between carrier depending what they alter but unlock U1 firmware will be the same no matter what sim is in the device

This my s23u unlocked firmware U1 from Samsung with T-Mobile sim
c55912c4ac6ff490d487e2c1e07fe901.jpg
I'm not sure about that. Build number is not the same as model code. Like I said, the model code is set at the factory it is a hardware model code, not a firmware build number. The model code doesn't change every time you update or change the firmware.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That model code SM-S908UZGEVZW to SM-S908U1ZGE when u flash to U1

How you know it's still VZW model originally
By looking here that those letters at the end is where the device originated

VZW/VZW/VZW/XAA = it was originally U1 firmware

VZW/VZW/VZW/VZW= it was originally carrier version Verizon device

By the way when you see the fourth VZW means it has Esim the device

First 3 is the carrier sim in the device

So if you unlock your Verizon carrier device to work on all sims and u put a TMobile sim it would look like this

TMB/TMB/TMB/VZW
dfc568ab41263ecf5e795e259aa1edce.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There are devices sold out there on eBay and such claiming it was unlock Samsung version which wasn't the case they had a carrier version flashed to unlock firmware and that's how you know from what I explained above

markcook_123

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
I bought my S22 from AT&T and had AT&T service. For a while, I had an AT&T physical sim and a Verizon esim. I noticed everytime I made AT&T my primary sim and restarted, the AT&T splash screen would display and all of the AT&T bloatware would install and be uninstallable. As soon as I switch to the verizon esim, the at&t bloatware I could uninstall and all of verizon's bloatware would install. Before this, I thought there was an AT&T specific S22 and a Verizon specific S22. But, with this test, I realized an S22 is an S22 no matter if it's from Verizon, AT&T, Boost mobile, etc. The hardware is identical. (I was thinking maybe the radio to talk to the towers were specific before.)

So, with this new knowledge, I switched completely to Verizon cancelling AT&T. I was having some issues, so I went to a verizon store. They deleted the Verizon esim and put a physical sim in. It's been working good. But, some Verizon services I still can't use. For instance, I cannot use verizon's spam caller filter service. It will not work. I'm told because I have an AT&T phone is the reason why. So, I'm thinking in my mind, probably my theory is close, but maybe the hardware is identical but the firmware is different. Maybe I need to flash verizon's firmware to make it identical to if I bought it from a verizon store instead. So, I went to sammmobile and downloaded the latest verizon specific s22 firmware. I'm trying to flash it with odin... it's not working. Everytime I attempt to flash it with odin, it fails on the auth step. I'm wondering if it's because the bootloader is not unlocked? I enabled developer mode and usb debugging. I'm not trying to root it or unlock the bootloader. Just flash the verizon stock firmware. Is there another setting I need to enable to allow me to flash it? Or what am I missing?
Hi, I am an S22 AT&T USA user too. I am currently away from USA, that being said I am unable to update my phone and access 5G. I want to change my firmware too. Please help me with your experience.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am an S22 AT&T USA user too. I am currently away from USA, that being said I am unable to update my phone and access 5G. I want to change my firmware too. Please help me with your experience.
The S22 is a 5G phone regardless of what carrier it's used on. Every phone model has a fixed set of bands it uses. There's no "update" that would change that. Either the device supports the bands used by any particular carrier, or it doesn't.

What carrier are you trying to use your phone on?

The AT&T variant of the S22 has 5G bands n2, n5, n30 and n66. And the 5G+ bands n260 and n77.

If the carrier you are using your phone on uses any if those bands, then you should get 5G somewhere. If they don't, it won't get 5G. Period.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Best bet go on the Unlock firmware, reread the thread and I pointed out how to do this .

markcook_123

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
The S22 is a 5G phone regardless of what carrier it's used on. Every phone model has a fixed set of bands it uses. There's no "update" that would change that. Either the device supports the bands used by any particular carrier, or it doesn't.

What carrier are you trying to use your phone on?

The AT&T variant of the S22 has 5G bands n2, n5, n30 and n66. And the 5G+ bands n260 and n77.

If the carrier you are using your phone on uses any if those bands, then you should get 5G somewhere. If they don't, it won't get 5G. Period.
I am in India, so its Jio 5G. I've read the phone documents which says it supports n78 band too. Correct me if I am wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter