Bye bye Facebook. Hello battery life!

kurveb03

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to Russel, I tried uninstalling the Facebook app and Messenger and the difference in battery is massive! Not only that, even the phone too feels much smoother somehow. Can easily manage using Facebook in chrome and messenger isn't of much use anyway. So for all of us struggling with the poor battery life of our Moto X, do try this.

Moto X 2014 via the AC App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the Facebook app for Android is garbage, and has been for a long time. I've been happy with the mobile website since I started using it on my Nexus 4.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Wow, deleting Facebook is a solution to battery life issues on Android? God I'm going to hate switching from Windows Phone. Can't you just block the background task from running?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not a solution to battery problems. Just like any other app, it's subject to how well designed and implemented it is. Facebook, unfortunately, is not famous for having optimized apps and, as we've learned recently, it even intentionally adds bugs and quirks to random users to evaluate the impact of those and how long it takes for an user to give up on the app and use the mobile web version. And WP aren't an exception...they just don't get the same update cycles and attention given the low adoption rate (which is improving thanks to W10, but still).

In my case, Facebook neither slows down my device nor impacts my battery any more than if I used it on Chrome. If I spend 10 minutes a day with FB, it uses less battery than if I spend 5 hours a day, obviously. Enabled or disabled on my Note 5, it really doesn't make a difference. It's not without its bugs, of course, even more because I'm on the beta program, but I do miss the system integration (share, direct access to Gallery, etc.) when I try to use just the mobile version.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Facebook should be ashamed in my opinion. It's long been said that their app is one of the worst battery hogs out there. Just to put things into some sort of perspective - there's around 4.6 billion mobile phone users worldwide. There are around 1.6 billion Facebook users worldwide. That means that potentially 35% of the world's mobile phones have a decreased battery life for their users just because they use the Facebook app.

For one of the biggest and most prevalent companies in the world to produce an app with a defect of that magnitude is unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. Maybe they should use some of the money that they've saved by tax avoidance to employ some higher quality programmers that can actually provide a decent app that doesn't detract from the users overall experience

Posted via the Android Central App

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I stopped using the app when it started taking up such a ridiculous amount of space, It used to be tiny in the 'cupcake' days.
It now thinks you only have 'it' Frankenstein app installed, that doesn't really do anything more than the M site anyway unless you have the auto update running and has already been said this will kill the battery.
Whoever designs it should be sacked, it's crazy.
I learned to root 5 years ago to get this off my first Android phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Correct, some phones have Facebook 'baked in' as a deal with the Manufacturer and/or Carrier. Most Samsung phones are in this category, but they do have deeper Facebook integration in their system than other devices. You should still be able to disable the app though, just not uninstall/delete it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Windows Phone isn't much better. Plus, you know, the tiny fact that popular apps usually skip that OS. I truly hope that changes with Win10, but iOS and Android keep trumping it for now.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Trust me....I know. I've been with WP since 2012 with my Lumia 920 from the same year haha. I guess you gotta take the bad with the good. Looking to switch to S6 Active 64GB version. $700 tho :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For that price I'd wait it out (if you can) for the S7. If the Waterproofing rumor turns out to be true, just go with that one at that price range and get a bumper case for the 'heavy lifting'.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
My friend has an S6 Active. I hung out with him last night and tried out the phone....I think it's a no-go for me :( The buttons keep getting pushed while in your pocket and the screen gets unlocked!!! Why doesn't this phone have a proximity sensor that doesn't allow the phone to unlock in your pocket?? WHY......WHY???

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Uninstalled messenger when I noticed it are a big chunk of battery overnight. Don't get a windows phone. I have one as a work phone and can't wait to get rid of it.

Posted via the Android Central App