Moto X Play: Various Reviews

Ogdin

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Can't say I've spent much time in the stock launcher, I throw Nova on every phone I've had. Running Firefox with adblock and I notice no lag.

Posted via my Moto x

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Can't say I've spent much time in the stock launcher, I throw Nova on every phone I've had. Running Firefox with adblock and I notice no lag.

Posted via my Moto x
Nova launcher runs better on this phone than the Google Now launcher does. Animations are smoother, it's clearly better optimised.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Can folks who are suffering lag try a couple of little experiments for me? I'm wondering if the lag is related to a bug in the CPU Governor that is present is at least one other Moto phone. The symptoms sounds similar.

First off download CPU Spy Reloaded or a similar CPU monitoring app - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.vibhinna.cpuspyfree&token=F_pR9s6N

Then reboot the phone - use as normal for 15 mins to 30 mins except do not touch the camera! Get a screenshot of the bar chart output of CPU Spy.

Reboot again - take a ccouple of photos with the main camera and then use as normal for 15mins to 30 mins. Get a screenshot of the bar chart output of CPU Spy.

You are looking for a clearly different pattern of Clock Speeds after camera use along with more lagginess after camera use.

Also if anyone can post screenshots from Settings/Developer Options/Process Stats they would be interesting to see.

Finally are folks seeing Music Players in the background being chucked out of memory and under what circumstances? Can you reliably use for example Play Music and Maps to navigate at the same time (this latter is my biggest bugbear with my current original Moto G)..

Last edited:

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Question for Moto X play user?

Recent review from AC says it has 64 bit chip. Is it true?

Posted via the Android Central App
Yep. Snapdragon 615 is fully 64bit capable. However, it has a 32bit version of Android installed for whatever reason that only Motorola knows.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm curious, what made you go for this phone over the Style or the Nexus devices coming in a month?

For me it was price, battery and screen size. The new nexus is rumoured to be 5.2 or 5.7 as is the style which to me is a bit too big. 5.2 a bit too small whereas 5.5 is the sweet spot.

Got it for £250 which is a good price which I could justify. And my biggest pet hate with phones in recent years has been battery life so the monster battery was the biggest draw for me.

I also wanted to try the moto additions such as active display which Im already a bit fan of.

I'm also impatient!!

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

For me it was price, battery and screen size. The new nexus is rumoured to be 5.2 or 5.7 as is the style which to me is a bit too big. 5.2 a bit too small whereas 5.5 is the sweet spot.

Got it for £250 which is a good price which I could justify. And my biggest pet hate with phones in recent years has been battery life so the monster battery was the biggest draw for me.

I also wanted to try the moto additions such as active display which Im already a bit fan of.

I'm also impatient!!

Yeah tbh, I was considering buying one last night, but managed to talk myself out of it and wait a couple of weeks to see what the Nexus looks like. I have to agree with 5.5 being a decent size, the Nexus 6 was too big and heavy while in my pocket and my S6 looks tiny in comparison. I would have loved the Play version to offer leather backs while customising them though. Where did you get it for 250 if you don't mind me asking?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Carohone warehouse. Just the black 16gb available but that's what I wanted so it was ideal for me. If moto can fix the lag with a software update then I'd rate this as the best phone I've had. Prefer it to my one m8 and the nexus 5 with the only reservation being the performance issues as noted in the android central review

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I'm curious, what made you go for this phone over the Style or the Nexus devices coming in a month?
A lack of patience. The September rumour hadn't popped up when I bought Moto X Play and so I assumed Nexus 2015 would launch in October/November as they have done in years past.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

A lack of patience. The September rumour hadn't popped up when I bought Moto X Play and so I assumed Nexus 2015 would launch in October/November as they have done in years past.

Are you regretting it? I feel the need to buy one haha! also what back colour did you get? I remember reading somewhere that the different coloured back options have a different feel to them, but on Moto Maker it doesn't indicate that.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Are you regretting it? I feel the need to buy one haha! also what back colour did you get? I remember reading somewhere that the different coloured back options have a different feel to them, but on Moto Maker it doesn't indicate that.

No. Not regretting it. Battery improvement has made it worth it alone but also the huge jump in camera performance vs my Nexus 5. Also the fact that it didn't cost bucketloads means I have the freedom to get the Nexus 5 2015 if I really want to (it's hinging on whether the camera and battery can outperform the Moto X Play).

I got Metallic Red accents with the Cabernet back.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

No. Not regretting it. Battery improvement has made it worth it alone but also the huge jump in camera performance vs my Nexus 5. Also the fact that it didn't cost bucketloads means I have the freedom to get the Nexus 5 2015 if I really want to (it's hinging on whether the camera and battery can outperform the Moto X Play).

I got Metallic Red accents with the Cabernet back.

thanks for the info mate :) so with the cabernet back, does it have the rubberish feel to it like the black back?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Can folks who are suffering lag try a couple of little experiments for me? I'm wondering if the lag is related to a bug in the CPU Governor that is present is at least one other Moto phone. The symptoms sounds similar.

First off download CPU Spy Reloaded or a similar CPU monitoring app - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.vibhinna.cpuspyfree&token=gOMvAMcD

Then reboot the phone - use as normal for 15 mins to 30 mins except do not touch the camera! Get a screenshot of the bar chart output of CPU Spy.

Reboot again - take a ccouple of photos with the main camera and then use as normal for 15mins to 30 mins. Get a screenshot of the bar chart output of CPU Spy.

You are looking for a clearly different pattern of Clock Speeds after camera use along with more lagginess after camera use.

Also if anyone can post screenshots from Settings/Developer Options/Process Stats they would be interesting to see.

Finally are folks seeing Music Players in the background being chucked out of memory and under what circumstances? Can you reliably use for example Play Music and Maps to navigate at the same time (this latter is my biggest bugbear with my current original Moto G)..
Here ya go. Kept my usage pretty much the same in both runs (Facebook, YouTube, Tapatalk and Chrome).

No camera run:

70793e83c45aca162209f02b7d7c8a75.jpg

Camera run:

f731134dbe54db47b176f07ce33103e1.jpg

Process stats:

323d9f07af1ddf99334b2ae55823b7eb.jpg

Also, I tested playing music via Poweramp and started loading more apps including navigation via Google Maps. Music kept on playing throughout, no issues whatsoever.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Price, dual SIM, battery and screen. The Style is too big for me. All leaks about the LG Nexus 5 say that the external size will be practically the same than the X Play but with a smaller screen. And as Cakefish said, impatience :) It'll take a long time before is out here in Brazil.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Price, dual SIM, battery and screen. The Style is too big for me. All leaks about the LG Nexus 5 say that the external size will be practically the same than the X Play but with a smaller screen. And as Cakefish said, impatience :) It'll take a long time before is out here in Brazil.

It's funny how impatience is the key here lol - I wonder how well both devices would have done if they released them at the same time. What phone are you coming from to the play?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Moto G 2013. Almost 2 years old and starting to have some issues.

Yeah, both phones being released at the same time could have been interesting.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Moto G 2013. Almost 2 years old and starting to have some issues.

Yeah, both phones being released at the same time could have been interesting.

I'm seriously considering buying the Play - will have a chat with the wife tonight haha!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

The latest rumours peg the battery of the Nexus 5 2015 at 2700mAh. Combined with a more power hungry processor (SD 808 rumoured), it doesn't look like it'll be a battery champ like the Moto is.