Moto X Style: Camera Samples, DxOMark, dpreview

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Well it seems by the reviews that it sucks in low light again. They should have spent a few more bucks and put that OIS in, as it helps with the low light problem. I will be looking elsewhere for my next phone.

The samples we've seen from the initial post really don't look that bad though. Noisy at times but we can expect that from almost any phone. I still want to see what people post here when they get their hands on them

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
It'll have slightly better capabilities than my Moto X Play due to having a faster ISP:

HDR
f40b3b3971c06e56034ec64c11c9ada4.jpg

Night mode
ac5605ed5e546a346df8c43cc26ee623.jpg

HDR
0db17b20340f863eae66284bc4541757.jpg

Night mode
6bcd82edeb45f2ae25d167c135bfb0b5.jpg

HDR
253fc953ce21689455d3c65091ba9656.jpg

Night mode
d2d286cda785b0b7dcf290842357ea9c.jpg

HDR
e886997787cb75101e7b89faa9c3be0c.jpg

Night mode
7680b4b58157fba96c69a2cff09cba0c.jpg

HDR
b5fcae0f9a6f5a7416a5500a77033281.jpg

Night mode
c631a9b028d9bf4c8db46129a250d1d3.jpg

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The samples we've seen from the initial post really don't look that bad though. Noisy at times but we can expect that from almost any phone. I still want to see what people post here when they get their hands on them

What I've seen online and from Michelle Gattuso on G+ definitely don't look bad at all. They look pretty solid all around. Probably not the best camera on the market, but for the price and the total package, it's already looking like it could be a winner. I also love the quick access to the camera. My biggest gripe with the Nexus 6 camera has been how slow it is to actually load and take a picture. I'm not trying to get a shot of something to hang on the wall of the Met, I'm usually trying to get a quick shot of my almost 3 year old daughter doing something that I think is cute. And the quicker I can get to it, the better. Even if the picture isn't perfect, at least if the camera is quick enough I can still get the shot in the first place - which is sometimes the major issue with the Nexus 6.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The Gizmodo review has some side by side sample pics against the S6, G4, and a iPhone. The Moto is great outdoors, but the low light shots are terrible compared with the others. Pretty much seals it for me, I'm going with the G4. I'll really miss the moto software, but I've missed a lot of great indoor shots having the 2014 moto x.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Gizmodo review has some side by side sample pics against the S6, G4, and a iPhone. The Moto is great outdoors, but the low light shots are terrible compared with the others. Pretty much seals it for me, I'm going with the G4. I'll really miss the moto software, but I've missed a lot of great indoor shots having the 2014 moto x.

Will be curious to see second gen Moto X vs. Moto X Pure Edition.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: is the camera good

That's retail price. Recently, international unlock version was $420 and it's currently $470 from ebay. Also, it's 32gb.

Well yeah the G4 has been out for a while and the price has dropped accordingly. Perhaps a bit too fast compared to other flagships. I can buy a Galaxy S5 for less than a new Moto Pure. too

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Those camera scores said it's just as good as my Note 4 is low light so when that poster gets his side by sides, that's when I'll decide what I'm gonna do

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Yeah these low light photos I've been seeing are alarming. I liked the daytime ones a lot, but to utterly fail in low light is unacceptable. I'll have to decide if the low light aspect of the camera is enough to make me pass on Moto once again due to its camera :(

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to give it a shot and form my own opinions. One thing that's good about the Moto camera is that they can update it frequently. It could conceivably get better with updates.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to give it a shot and form my own opinions. One thing that's good about the Moto camera is that they can update it frequently. It could conceivably get better with updates.

Updates to each of the previous generations provided major boosts. And considering the limitations of each of those sensors, I'm confident that software tweaks to this sensor will take a camera most reviewers are saying is actually quite good (just not GS6 or i-crap 6 good) to an even higher level of output performance.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Will just use HDR mode rather than Night Mode.

Looking at them Pictures HDR mode looks soo much better and clearer.

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.
Yep, I've noticed that HDR is better in low light than the night mode in virtually all situations. Strange isn't it?

I mean sure, night mode gets the colours more accurate in most of those sample pics I took - but the difference in clarity, amount of light entering the sensor and noise level is quite large and it's a worthy trade off in my opinion.

The same applies to daylight. There's pretty much no reason to not use HDR. It improves shots considerably, daylight or low light. Only exception would be when taking shots of fast moving subjects, HDR isn't good at capturing that kind of thing.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah those pics w/ HDR look solid. Looking back on my last comment also w/ those two dolls hugging each other; that looks to be in extreme low light situations. I mean, I'm not worried about how well my camera will shoot pics if I'm walking down a moonlit, dreary alley in the middle of the night. I have more things to worry about then. If it can take good (not great) indoor shots under normal lamp lighting and can do well in say a bar atmosphere, I think I'll be happy.

Let's remember also, those pics above are from the Play which isn't the same camera if I recall so we can assume the Pure will be better. Definitely will request people to do that same (HDR on and off vs Night Mode).

Y'all are wonderful. Thanks for helping us out who are curious and less fortunate to not have the phones lol

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah those pics w/ HDR look solid. Looking back on my last comment also w/ those two dolls hugging each other; that looks to be in extreme low light situations. I mean, I'm not worried about how well my camera will shoot pics if I'm walking down a moonlit, dreary alley in the middle of the night. I have more things to worry about then. If it can take good (not great) indoor shots under normal lamp lighting and can do well in say a bar atmosphere, I think I'll be happy.

Let's remember also, those pics above are from the Play which isn't the same camera if I recall so we can assume the Pure will be better. Definitely will request people to do that same (HDR on and off vs Night Mode).

Y'all are wonderful. Thanks for helping us out who are curious and less fortunate to not have the phones lol

Same here I'm a bit more at ease about the camera. Still waiting for a review of the Pure that compares it to other flagships. As long as it competed favorably, I'll be satisfied.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

The only bad night pics are the ones that look like it is in a pretty much no light situation. As long as it can take good quick pics in my house with decent lights on, I'll be happy. Most of my pictures are of my 3 year old, so as long as I can capture moments with her, I don't care. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
The low light pictures I took were very low light indeed. Pretty much the worst conditions any camera could possibly ever face. And again, they were on the Play, while the Style has a better ISP.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site

I will be doing the same. I will wait anxiously for mine to arrive and hopefully it will be better than the LG G3's camera in low light. The G3 is truly awful In low light. I take a lot of pics for my daughter's dance competitions indoors. I can't actually take a point and shoot inside these darn things, so I need a good camera on my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa