Will the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition work on Verizon? (YES)

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Will the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition work on Verizon?

FWIW, I called Verizon customer service & spoke with a very helpful rep. Told her what phone I was getting, needed to get a nano sim as my current phone uses a micro sim.

She muted the conversation several times so she could speak with her supervisor. Basically, they wanted to know what kind of phone I was getting; told them it was the new Moto X Pure Edition 2015. She said they would send a nano sim out to me; later same day, I received an email saying it had been shipped. With the holiday weekend, I'm guessing it will arrive Tuesday.

I told her at the end of the call, to confirm, that all I wanted was a new nano sim, did not want to change my plan or phone number, & also asked if the new phone is a "go" on Verizon - she confirmed.

The only odd thing during the call, she asked what color of phone I was getting. :confused: Asked her what that had to do with getting a nano sim. She didn't say much but continued on with the order process.

LaxRef93

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

The only odd thing during the call, she asked what color of phone I was getting. :confused: Asked her what that had to do with getting a nano sim. She didn't say much but continued on with the order process.

Maybe she just thought it was cool to be able to customize it, and can't wait to get one for herself.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Actual process for activating this on VZ

Hi all, I have what is probably a pretty basic question but I just want to make sure I'm going to do it correctly. This will be my first phone bought directly from a manufacturer and not through Verizon and subsidized by them. I have unlimited data and obviously don't want to lose that, so from what I understand, if I pop out the sim card on my current phone, a Moto X (2013) and put it in the Pure, it will allow my plan to carry over to the new phone, as well as my phone number of course.

My question is the actual activation process: when I activated the 2013 X, I called an 800 number at VZ, which was in the material in the box, and followed the prompts to get the phone up and running. Will it be the same thing with this or will I do it online through my account at the VZ web site?

Thanks.

Rem3Dy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Actual process for activating this on VZ

Would probably check the "Will it work on Verizon thread, or call Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Since the 2013 Moto X already uses a nano sim, you just need to pop it into the new Moto X and you'll be good to go. No need to call any number or activate it online because your sim card is already active under VZW.

Posted via the AC app

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

If you're just changing devices and not signing up for new service just take your current sim card out and put it into your new phone. That's it.

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the responses. On the Motorola Owners boards, the site manager Matt has already said the Pure will work on Verizon, so I'm not too worried about that. I was just wondering what the activation process would be. Glad to hear it sounds simple. But don't I have to register the phone's IMIE # with Verizon, or is that done automatically by just putting in the sim from the 2013 X?

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the responses. On the Motorola Owners boards, the site manager Matt has already said the Pure will work on Verizon, so I'm not too worried about that. I was just wondering what the activation process would be. Glad to hear it sounds simple. But don't I have to register the phone's IMIE # with Verizon, or is that done automatically by just putting in the sim from the 2013 X?

It's already done once the sim is inserted. The new device will be recognized by Verizon and the phone's IMEI will be attached to your account.

Posted via the AC app

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Got it. Thanks eao for putting my mind at ease. I was lucky enough to get in on that wonderful glitch they had on the VZ website one weekend a couple of years ago when you could buy a new phone from them at a subsidized price and they accidentally let you keep your old data plan, including unlimited data, even though at that point they had stopped giving unlimited if you bought a phone at a subsidized price. (I think I may have even read about the glitch here on AC). Needless to say VZ quickly shut it down when it came to their attention, but they at least honored any purchases made while it was still active. Although once this nano sim I have goes, or a new phone doesn't use that size, I guess I will be out of luck.

lewwill

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

After switching the nano sim there is a part on the My Verizon site where you enter your new imei for the new device.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

She may have just wanted to make a little small talk to lighten the mood and avoid dead air.

Last edited:

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Sim arrived today. Now if I just had my MXPE to put it in. :cool:

Also received 2 PR emails today from Motorola, telling me "OMG! The new Moto X is amazing!" & "The new Moto X has arrived. Design yours now."

Glad I didn't wait to hear from Moto.

Still waiting...

aemax01

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

I am getting ready to switch to Verizon from Sprint. It seems that there is not a problem activating this phone if you have an existing sim card. However, is there any confirmation yet if Verizon will activate a new sim card on a new account with this phone? I'd rather not go through the hassle of ordering the MXPE if Verizon won't activate it on a new account. I went into a Verizon store about 2 weeks ago to ask and they gave me the runaround saying they couldn't guarantee anything, "we'd rather you buy your device from us".

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Sucks that the Note 4 sim is not a direct switch for the Moto X, since planned on phone hopping when comparing the devices. Since two different sims, this would mean the laborious process of activating the phone and sims when alternating. It would be cool if there was a nano adapter I could use and keep that as the Note 4 sim as well and phone hop at will :)

I am always weary of the sim hopping with legacy unlimited data involved and the process is tedious. One of the few good things IMO about ATT and TMO is the ability to phone hop. Been on too many business trips though where I have coverage and the folks with me did not and were on those carriers.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Sucks that the Note 4 sim is not a direct switch for the Moto X, since planned on phone hopping when comparing the devices. Since two different sims, this would mean the laborious process of activating the phone and sims when alternating. It would be cool if there was a nano adapter I could use and keep that as the Note 4 sim as well and phone hop at will :)
You can cut down your Note 4 sim to nano size with this. It includes an adapter so you can use it in your note 4 again as needed. I used a cut down sim in my note 4 for a while with no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerb-Cutter-S...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4672246

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

Both the 2013 and 2014 X's that I've ordered through Moto for Verizon came with sim cards. The first X was purchased at full retail and last year's X was purchased at a subsidized rate, but both were purchased through MotoMaker. So, why would the 2015 version not ship with a sim as well?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Both the 2013 and 2014 X's that I've ordered through Moto for Verizon came with sim cards. The first X was purchased at full retail and last year's X was purchased at a subsidized rate, but both were purchased through MotoMaker. So, why would the 2015 version not ship with a sim as well?

Those previous models were specifically branded and tuned to work on that specific carrier. The new 2015 motos are not branded by any carrier and any phone can work on any carrier.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

Those previous models were specifically branded and tuned to work on that specific carrier. The new 2015 motos are not branded by any carrier and any phone can work on any carrier.

That is what I figured you were going to say. I remember now reading about how there will only be one version that is compatible with all. Thanks. When I order my new X I will just swing by a Verizon store and grab a sim to put in it when it arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non