Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
@andy a - This really disgusts me because the Moto X Play alone already costs more than the Style does in the US! The difference is much greater than just adding on the 20% VAT so there's no excuse to not include the Turbo Charger. For both Play and Style.

and what does/will the Style cost in the UK again?

Prices will vary by market.

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Edition: Engadget Review

Thanks all for the feedback. Sat on the fence for a few hours while I combed through whatever reviews I could find. Finally decided to put off the buy because of battery life and camera. I need a phone that can make it through a moderate to heavy use day. I consider it a design flaw for a phone to not do so. And I take pics of kids who are occasionally indoors, so a below standard camera for shots indoors doesn't work for me.

Then I read some more and through the threads here and decided to go for it - seems like I can make it through the day (I hope) and no phone really takes that great pictures in low light....

So I went back to the beautiful customized dark wooden back and black front which I had customized and had initially said would ship on the 15th, I think - but it now says backorder to the 25th - not sure when I'd see it.....

Then I read that Amazon has the bamboo back in white for 32gb - with my Amazon card I save 5% on that and convinced myself that I can live with that....

And finally just read that the Nexus from LG coming out will only have a 2700 battery, which was the nail in the coffin - smaller screen and smaller battery won't solve my battery issues and I suspect the camera on a Nexus wont be as good as the G4 to save $$.

So rationalization wins...I'm in. Amazon says will ship on the 10th.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have always been someone who waits to read the reviews on phones before I buy them, but for this one I just couldn't wait. I have owned every Moto X phone, Nexus 6 and Droid Turbo over the past couple years along with a couple other flagships from other Manufacturers. After reading the reviews after I had already bought the phone, I don't regret buying the phone whatsoever. I expected it would have average battery life, and I knew the camera was vastly improved. I don't get why people expect this thing to be perfect in every aspect. Look what your paying compared to other flagship phones on the market.

How many other phones can you customize to your liking? How many other phones can you switch a sim card out and take it to every carrier you like? How many phones can you basically get stock android on? Add in the MicroSd slot, dual front facing speakers, and oh yeah it has active display which I can't live without on a phone anymore. People need to remember this thing starts at $400. If you wanna spend over $800 buying a "flagship" phone or go wait months for an invite to buy the math problem, be my guest.

Posted via the Android Central App

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I also jumped on the pre-order train. My OG Moto X was the best phone I have owned. I replaced it with a G4 for a superior camera experience, and it has been OK but not stellar. Otherwise my G4 experience has been horrible and I am beyond excited to be rejoining camp Motorola.
What does concern me about reviews is not the low light quality, but focus problems. However, I haven't yet experienced a phone camera that always focuses properly. Can't wait for this Walnut backed bad boy to ship.

312MotoGus

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Too early for unboxing reviews, I suppose. Various sources, here and elsewhere, indicate that a Turbo Charger is included, and someone even said a bumper is as well. I'd love first-hand news.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Cons: Camera, Battery Life, and questionable processor. You just highlighted the 3 most important aspects of any phone.

yeah, very concerned. the Play review on AC also noticed some lag in performance, which is surprising coming from Moto. I'll compromise in the processor and camera department, but the battery life is something I'd like to compare to the rest of the Fall lineup.

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
All the review keep compare the X with note 5 or iPhone but at $300 cheaper than those phone I think the X should be good all around phone.

Great screen ..decent camera ..pure stock android ...micro sd card ....battery I think should be last all day..I can't wait for my X coming..

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

They all say the camera is excellent. One of the best in the market. The battery is on par with most of the best phones, just not better. And the processor is again, on par with the top of the line phones except the Note 5 (which will probably even out because of Samsung's crappy software). In other words... Those cons are hardly cons.

on paper you're right about the processor, but that's why reviews are so important. doesn't matter what the spec sheet says, matters how it performs.

personally, I think people blow processor speed way out of proportion. it needs to only be as good or better than your last phone IMO, and the miniscule difference is hardly noticeable.

overall it's a great phone. I've said before I don't care about aesthetics, but after messing around on MotoMaker I'm shamelessly retracting that statement!!

that charcoal leather with the red accents looks awesome!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
For me (mostly) pure Android coupled with no carrier interference makes this phone a game changer! Sticking with stock Android devices is getting more and more difficult (Heck it's either a Moto device or Nexus) and the fact I can choose from a plethora of materials to personalize it to my liking is worth some trade offs IMO

G4'ed it!

I think you're dead on ... very fair statement.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
WTF Moto? Play doesn't ship with Turbo Charger either in UK but in Brazil it does. And now the flagship too?!

Motorola out to screw over the UK consumer - confirmed. I feel bad for supporting this company now.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

u keep saying moto is screwing the UK ... at least you have the Play and soon the Force ... I'll trade a free charger for the option to buy 2 non branded moto phones any day of the week.

also, any time you're an early adopter, you know stuff like this happens .... I'm not suggesting you don't share your frustration, just hopefully adding some perspective.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm not too worried about any performance stutters for 2 main reasons. The first is not every review mentioned it. One or two mentioned a slight stutter and, quite frankly, with Lolllipop being a less then stellar Android release I am not to surprised, plus this very well could be pre-release software. The second is if Moto needs to push out an update to improve performance then it'll get taken care of quickly. Ah, the glory of zero carrier interference.

Any 800 series processor should be able to handle stock Android with ease, provided Lollipop isn't have one of it's moments and something happens. Heck I can make my "lightning fast" S6 stutter if I do things a certain way. With any luck M will smooth Lollipop's issues and I think the Pure will really shine then.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The battery life is my concern. The video playback tests that a few reviews have done suggest as I "feared" that the LCD display could be power hog. For video playback the battery life is four hours less than the the Note 5 and that is about two hours worse than I expected. That is 3.5 hours lower than my Note 4 and two hours lower than the G4. The .2" different display should not equal two hours. Perhaps Motorola went low tier on the display for cost.

I will hold off ordering until I see more reviews of battery life, Anandtech's review and Display Mates display review. I really wanted to order it, but will temper my usual compulsion :)