Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but also depends on usage habits and the actual cell quality. I turn fast charging off, but understand a lot of folks like it.

Added: As far as my assertion that The Verge are iPhone fans, that was intended as a joke, but did not put the " ;) "

I'll own it though :) ;) I recall Verge loving the Moto X 2014. I do however think Samsung has an iPhone wannabe obsession, so own that one for sure :)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I only made the comment because you discounted empirical/controlled comparisons between flagship phones. Without these type of controlled comparisons, EVERYTHING is anecdotal. We all do things slightly differently... and no doubt if you owned 3-4 flagship phones (S6, M9, LG G4, etc...), you'd probably have similar apps installed, but you probably wouldn't have them EXACTLY setup the same, nor have the Android settings set exactly the same. In which even your views on battery life between them would still be considered anecdotal.

These guys at Anandtech, GSMArena, etc... aren't fools. They know that that when they run these battery run-down tests everything must be set identical, and they run tests that simulate real-world use as best they can. Video run-down, web browsing simulators, etc.. So it just doesn't sit well with me when people discount these tests, since it doesn't 'simulate' how they use their phone. We all can 'take them with a grain of salt' if we set our displays to 0-10%, turn off all data sync from every APP, turn off animation acceleration, and then magically claim that 'I get 5-6 hours SoT!! Those dudes at 'INSERT TECHSITE' are whack!'

But I agree with you.... can't hurt to try out a phone and returning it if it doesn't meet your needs. For those that don't want to go through the hassle though, I think reviews from the 'trusted' sites are invaluable.

And I didn't say they were completely useless. Just that I don't take too much stock in them, because I'm not going to just let my phone sit there looping a video all day long, then have a dead battery before I leave work and be mad that it didn't make it all day. Does it provide some useful information about the battery? Sure. But it doesn't replicate my use, or most people's use. Everyone's Android phone is set up differently, there's absolutely no way to determine the battery life for every single user. The only way I've ever really determined if something was right for me was to try it out for myself. I've read so many people say that you just get used to the size of the Nexus 6 after a week or two. 5 months later for me and I still can't handle the size. I can't wait to be rid of this behemoth. If we all went strictly by reviews, then the only phones people would have would be S6s and iPhones.

TLDR; reviews are useful but don't take them as gospel - try something out for yourself before you say it sucks.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There is a reason the more reputable review sites like Andandtech and Gsmarena place emphasis on the video and web endurance tests and that is because they are the closest thing to objective testing there is in regards to the display. Too many variables otherwise. Screen on time is key and the most weight for overall margins of difference in average battery life.

Which is why I'll test it myself.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but also depends on usage habits and the actual cell quality. I turn fast charging off, but understand a lot of folks like it.

Added: As far as my assertion that The Verge are iPhone fans, that was intended as a joke, but did not put the " ;) "

I'll own it though :) ;) I recall Verge loving the Moto X 2014. I do however think Samsung has an iPhone wannabe obsession, so own that one for sure :)

They loved the first Moto X too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Have to take a great many of these reviews with a grain of salt. Heck, The Verge review - both video and the write-up - talked about the dual front facing speakers on the 2014 Moto X. The only time that I visit that place anymore is to read/watch reviews of products that are of interest to me. Otherwise, it's turned into an Apple and Tim Cook ***-kissing, liberal, hipster playground.

This place does a pretty good job with reviews, as do Android Police and Engadget. PocketNow does good YouTube reviews, along with MKBHD. In fact, I tend to find his reviews the most straight forward and helpful. If he doesn't like something, he'll tell you. Lisa Glade at MobileTechReview is good as well.

The Verge is positioned more as a tech/tech culture site than just gadgets. Still, I see that they love stock Android, Nexus, and Motorola's software experience.

I never understood the fascination with MKBHD.

Rem3Dy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The Gizmodo review shows a few low light photo's. They suck. No OIS= bad low light photo's.

OIS only helps with holding the phone still for a longer shutter speed. The aperture is what allows more light for night shots. OIS in theory increases lighting because it stabilizes for a longer shutter fire. If the lens had a f1.8 instead of f2.0 it would take much better night shots.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This has nothing to do with being an early adopter. Motorola is including the Turbo Charger in other countries but not the UK. Why does this matter? The Turbo Charger 15 costs £25 ($38.19). That's a lot to spend to just obtain the advertised charging speeds. The Turbo Charger 25 is not even for sale in the UK - this means that the phone will never reach the advertised charging speeds! Literally false advertising, until they start selling the TC25. And I bet it'll cost more than the TC15 too. Ugh.

The G (IMX214) does not have a better camera than the Play (IMX230 w/ PDAF). No way.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Via X Play site in the UK:

Recharge in record time

Get a quick burst of energy when you need it most. Moto X Play is optimised for TurboPower™ charging, giving you up to 8 hours of battery life in just 15 minutes.‡

‡Battery must be substantially depleted; charging rate slows as charging progresses. Charger sold separately in some markets.

I don't see any false advertising.

(and why wouldn't the TC25 be more expensive than the TC15?)

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Always in the small print! That darn small print

Fair enough mate. You're right. But I still think it's not very consumer friendly to not include it for us Brits.

GeordieAffy

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Always in the small print! That darn small print

Fair enough mate. You're right. But I still think it's not very consumer friendly to not include it for us Brits.

Don't worry Cakefish ... I'm with you on this. Gutted about it not having one in the UK.

As with everything we love to complain ... if the US never had it I'm sure the Americans would complain.

And if we didnt have the Play but the US did ... then we'd conplain lol.

Just goes around in circles haha.

(P.S despite my comments Motorola are still arses for not shipping it with a fast charger haha)

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Nowhere was it mentioned that these phones didn't ship with the Turbo Charger in the UK. Yet they boasted about charge speeds in their grand announcement (which was partly hosted in London). The Play was released in Brazil before the UK - how was I meant to know they'd not include the TC for the UK? I assumed they would treat us the same as they treat Brazilians or Americans, but nope that didn't turn out to be the case. And as for the Style, well it can't even reach the speeds they boasted about in the announcement because the TC25 is not for sale separately - so yeah, maybe not outright false advertising but shady, dishonourable marketing at best.

Yeah, that's the problem. When you take the added cost of the TC into account (+£25 for TC15, still unknown the price of the TC25, if it's ever sold separately) the phones become questionable value for money in the UK market. I, for one, expected them to include the fast chargers. Is it really that bad of me to expect that a product priced really competitively in the US would also offer good value for money in the UK too? I'm sorry for having faith in Motorola not to screw over British customers, you're right, I should have known better than to be so naïve.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide a detailed explanation, it certainly sheds some light on your dilemma.

Yeah I can definitely see your point though. Hopefully they'll make things right, but unfortunately, as you know, most "normal" customers won't even realize they're getting screwed over.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry Cakefish ... I'm with you on this. Gutted about it not having one in the UK.

As with everything we love to complain ... if the US never had it I'm sure the Americans would complain.

And if we didnt have the Play but the US did ... then we'd conplain lol.

Just goes around in circles haha.

(P.S despite my comments Motorola are still arses for not shipping it with a fast charger haha)

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.

IMO us in the US are getting screwed over the most and should and will complain too ... the ONLY reason the Pure/Style doesn't have a larger battery, is because of Moto's relationship with Verizon. Any phone they offer with a larger battery will be rebranded and sold only through them, branding, bloat, and no timely updates included.

That affects all of us, cause that's the only reason the Pure/Style didn't have a 3600+ that we all would've enjoyed.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Questionable reviews? Quick question

That is also what I'm thinking.

I don't see why they think camera isn't as good as the S6 or G4. Images look great and the colors are more true to life then the other two. Colors have nothing to do with the camera and its all software that can change that. Low light photos looks great I think. It's no DSLR but it's a sensor that is a fraction of the size of a DSLR.

I can see that, but people need to keep in mind that those are probably the two best cameras you can get in smartphone. I don't need the very best camera out there, just one that takes good shots.

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Straight video playback reviews though are a good indicator of the display's power efficiency, since straight SOT and minimal subjectivity of apps. There have been two reviews saying the same thing, so at a minimum it is not a good sign and enough for me to wait and see what Anandtech, Phone Arena and Display Mate say.

Hopefully they refute :)

Video rundowns are still a flawed testing methodology though; at least Engadget's are. Setting two different phones to "50% brightness" doesn't mean jack, because 50% on phone A could be a completely different nits-level from phone B. Having both at half-brightness could still have one phone using considerably more juice just because it's pushing an effectively higher brightness. They should be using calibration equipment to measure nits. As it is, I consider the battery section of their reviews to be meaningless.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
IMO us in the US are getting screwed over the most and should and will complain too ... the ONLY reason the Pure/Style doesn't have a larger battery, is because of Moto's relationship with Verizon. Any phone they offer with a larger battery will be rebranded and sold only through them, branding, bloat, and no timely updates included.

That affects all of us, cause that's the only reason the Pure/Style didn't have a 3600+ that we all would've enjoyed.

Evidence?

Benny879

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

Amazing people actually think a single carrier can dictate what a phone manufacturer can and can not sell in the rest of the world. Remember the Syle/Pure is a global phone and isn't available just in the United States. If Motorola could have put a bigger battery in the Syle without sacrificing cost and size they would have. Verizon is just a pawn.

Rem3Dy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
A carrier that has carried most of Motorola's business for the last 10 years, yeah I do.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate you taking the time to provide a detailed explanation, it certainly sheds some light on your dilemma.

Yeah I can definitely see your point though. Hopefully they'll make things right, but unfortunately, as you know, most "normal" customers won't even realize they're getting screwed over.
Motorola is by no means the only phone manufacturer to not offer great value for money in the UK, so it'd be unfair of me to single them out on that front. Sadly it's very commonplace.

I still think that their new lineup is great, just not as price competitive relative to other phones on the UK market as I was hoping it would be.

I'm sure you're all going to love your Pure Editions :)

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A carrier that has carried most of Motorola's business for the last 10 years, yeah I do.

Also the carrier which doesn't care about customer experience, bloats up the phone, modify phone designs, stamp ugly logos !!!!

They are just riding on supposedly best network hype train.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty