Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

Arlizz

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is it just me or is this phone...

I don't know about placeholder but I think it's an experiment along the same lines as the Moto G; relatively cheap, strong, fast phone that can compete with more expensive rivals. What Motorola must do is make another Droid Turbo-like device to succeed this X Pure as their flagship. Motorola was literally a strong battery away from making this the greatest smartphone on Earth. They should make little reservations and go all-out next year with a truly mind-blowing device. Im thinking along the lines of 3,800 mAh, 20 mp, 810, 4GB, front-facing speakers, durable body and skin, 5.5 in QHD display.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

I don't know about placeholder but I think it's an experiment along the same lines as the Moto G; relatively cheap, strong, fast phone that can compete with more expensive rivals. What Motorola must do is make another Droid Turbo-like device to succeed this X Pure as their flagship. Motorola was literally a strong battery away from making this the greatest smartphone on Earth. They should make little reservations and go all-out next year with a truly mind-blowing device. Im thinking along the lines of 3,800 mAh, 20 mp, 810, 4GB, front-facing speakers, durable body and skin, 5.5 in QHD display.

I would add OIS and a better chipset and fingerprint scanner, and then yes,

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I will have to disagree. I will list why below.

• Heart Rate Monitor - I never used this on any phone I had. I tried it to see how it works but in day to day .. Real-world use? Never.
  • Fingerprint Scanner - I have had it on phones and used it. It is nice but definitely isn't a "I need this!" feature for me.
  • Battery - Most say it is pretty decent. Not bad.. not great .. but decent. With quick charge / battery packs I see no issue for me.
  • Camera - Again most say it is pretty good. Not #1 but not horrid.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Indeed but I haven't seen complaints of lag on the G4 like on the Pure.

Really? There is more out there regarding G4 lag and touch input issues than one could read through in a day. I'm currently using a G4 and it is probably the laggiest phone I've owned. You're either trolling this forum hard or you're cherry picking the information that's out there regarding these phones.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

There are other reviews out there, Bloomberg's comes to mind, that say battery life is quite good. And the camera reviews have been a mixed bag which is kind of surprising because the first pics from actual users that have been coming out over the past 24 hours have been VERY impressive. What disappoints me is the lack of sample pics by so many of the initial review sites to let me see exactly what they are attempting with the camera. And, even more so, is continuous use of the description of "moderate" or "heavy" use as those terms don't to anything to describe what that actually means from person to person. One person's "heavy use" may be solely Facebook and texting, while another's "heavy use" could be a lot of YouTube and gaming while another's is simply playing music from their device. Additionally, one person's "heavy use" could be considered "moderate" use by the next.

So whenever I see these reviews, I always skip over those kinds of comments or nit pickings. And I always keep in mind how they continually praise "the best iPhone yet" this year and it's magical battery life only to rip it with the next year's review of "the best iPhone yet" where they harp on poor battery life of the previous model.

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Really? There is more out there regarding G4 lag and touch input issues than one could read through in a day. I'm currently using a G4 and it is probably the laggiest phone I've owned. You're either trolling this forum hard or you're cherry picking the information that's out there regarding these phones.

People are quick to blame the Snapdragon 808 but I actually think that lollipop is half baked on the Moto X. Remember back to the release of Android 5.0, it was borked. Now we are 5.1.1 and its still borked ( nexus 5). Moto, like Google, is looking towards the future. I think that any lag any lag should be remedied by marshmallow.

As for the g4 I blame LG skin

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

I will have to disagree. I will list why below.

• Heart Rate Monitor - I never used this on any phone I had. I tried it to see how it works but in day to day .. Real-world use? Never.
  • Fingerprint Scanner - I have had it on phones and used it. It is nice but definitely isn't a "I need this!" feature for me.
  • Battery - Most say it is pretty decent. Not bad.. not great .. but decent. With quick charge / battery packs I see no issue for me.
  • Camera - Again most say it is pretty good. Not #1 but not horrid.

Now that Sammy has fixed the fingerprint sensor on the latest devices I can't see going back to a device without one especially with Android/Samsung Pay coming up. As for the heart rate monitor, I used it every day at the gym and like not having to pay for and carry an extra device.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Other than fingerprint scanner not being present, other things are just fine.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Now that Sammy has fixed the fingerprint sensor on the latest devices I can't see going back to a device without one especially with Android/Samsung Pay coming up. As for the heart rate monitor, I used it every day at the gym and like not having to pay for and carry an extra device.

Exactly so for your needs -- it doesn't work. For others though it may not be a big deal so the phone may not be a "place holder" for us. I use Apple Pay when I tested the iPhone 6+. It was okay but nothing to write home about. The pay thing for me isn't huge.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree with the gist of this post. I also agree that Moto sort of missed the boat. Like what Arlizz posted above, if they simply added a 3500+ mah battery, this phone would be a world-beater. As it stands, it falls squarely in the pack with the other early 2015 flagships, minus any future-proof features to boot. Price and customization are the only positives.

As many have said, the features are pretty much identical to the LG G4, however the Moto Pure will have a lesser camera, no removable battery, and no option for wireless charging. G4 also has lots of replacement backs to choose from, so the customization is even more flexible with the G4. The price is also not very different (You can get the G4 on T-mob for like $500)

I'm not some lover of the G4.... I'm just saying Moto had a chance to surpass it, but chose not to.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

Exactly so for your needs -- it doesn't work. For others though it may not be a big deal so the phone may not be a "place holder" for us. I use Apple Pay when I tested the iPhone 6+. It was okay but nothing to write home about. The pay thing for me isn't huge.

Well in fairness to me, my "needs" tend to match the market more than the rest of the folks that inhabit these forums. It's fine of Moto-venovo wanted to create a niche device rather than something with mass appeal but HTC tried that and we know how that turned out. to me, given that fingerprint scanners will be front and center in about 2 weeks, its omission from this device seems either deliberate(thus validating my place holder theory) or a horrible design/marketing fail. Wouldn't be the first for Moto.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well in fairness to me, my "needs" tend to match the market more than the rest of the folks that inhabit these forums. It's fine of Moto-venovo wanted to create a niche device rather than something with mass appeal but HTC tried that and we know how that turned out. to me, given that fingerprint scanners will be front and center in about 2 weeks, its omission from this device seems either deliberate(thus validating my place holder theory) or a horrible design/marketing fail. Wouldn't be the first for Moto.

I would have to see data to back your claims that your needs match the entire market before I believe it. Just because other manufactures are doing it doesn't mean there was an outcry for Fingerprint sensors. Most didn't even care about them until it became the norm w/ the iPhone.

Either way .. I am not sure about you but I do not buy my phone based on what others like. I go with what works for me :).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Given the short relative life of these devices, all phones could be argued as place holders from one device to the next. A key premise BTW for why phones are trending to non replaceable batteries. They are not usually designed to be used for a real long time.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree with the gist of this post. I also agree that Moto sort of missed the boat. Like what Arlizz posted above, if they simply added a 3500+ mah battery, this phone would be a world-beater. As it stands, it falls squarely in the pack with the other early 2015 flagships, minus any future-proof features to boot. Price and customization are the only positives.

As many have said, the features are pretty much identical to the LG G4, however the Moto Pure will have a lesser camera, no removable battery, and no option for wireless charging. G4 also has lots of replacement backs to choose from, so the customization is even more flexible with the G4. The price is also not very different (You can get the G4 on T-mob for like $500)

I'm not some lover of the G4.... I'm just saying Moto had a chance to surpass it, but chose not to.

LGs skin is worse than TouchWiz. That alone is reason not to buy it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

LGs skin is worse than TouchWiz. That alone is reason not to buy it.

They are both reservoir dogs. No offense to the dogs :)

As far as the Moto X Pure, the price point HAD to result in some compromises. Moto decided what to compromise to get to the price points they wanted. Not all of the price difference can be bridged due to no carrier pricing model. That only bridges some of it. The majority is due to the bill of material compromises made. As example:

1. 808 (fine with me)
2. LCD display (maybe fine- if battery life ok)
3. Fixed battery (meh)
4. No wireless charging (fine with me)
5. No finger print scanning (fine with me)
6. Thickish device even though only 3000mAh battery and fixed design (battery should be bigger)

Those are the ones that stick out IMO, but I still ordered one since value overall the stuff IMO that is good.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

You do realize that the only mainstream phones that have fingerprint readers are the Galaxy line and iPhone right? And while they are the most popular handsets, they only account for a small percentage of users worldwide.

Fingerprint scanners will be more useful next year when Android Pay has had a chance to catch on.

Add to that, the fact that having one isn't in any way a requirement to use Android Pay, and you have even less reason to need it. Currently, if I enter my code in Google Wallet, it remains unlocked the entire day. I, like many, don't make a habit of misplacing my phone. So my purchases are just as quick as one that requires a finger scan.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

You do realize that the only mainstream phones that have fingerprint readers are the Galaxy line and iPhone right? And while they are the most popular handsets, they only account for a small percentage of users worldwide.

Fingerprint scanners will be more useful next year when Android Pay has had a chance to catch on.

Add to that, the fact that having one isn't in any way a requirement to use Android Pay, and you have even less reason to need it. Currently, if I enter my code in Google Wallet, it remains unlocked the entire day. I, like many, don't make a habit of misplacing my phone. So my purchases are just as quick as one that requires a finger scan.

Yeah I can only speak as to the US and you are correct Apple and Sammy dominate. Why another OEM would not seek to emulate their devices/success and instead offer less product is beyond me. Again, that's why the Pure makes no sense to me as a mass market device.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

I would have to see data to back your claims that your needs match the entire market before I believe it. Just because other manufactures are doing it doesn't mean there was an outcry for Fingerprint sensors. Most didn't even care about them until it became the norm w/ the iPhone.

Either way .. I am not sure about you but I do not buy my phone based on what others like. I go with what works for me :).

And that's the point, fingerprint sensors work for the overwhelming majority of consumers that own iPhones or Galaxies.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

The new Moto X was designed and entering early production prior to Google I/O. I think its reasonable to believe that they would've added it had they known what direction Google was going with its software.

When one device lacks something the other has, I don't consider it a lesser device. The iPhone was still a fine phone without NFC for years. The Galaxy phones are fine without front facing speakers.

No flagship device is without some missing feature or perceived flaw because phone design is all about compromise.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Two sources, the verge and a user here, are now showing (anecdotal, as all battery usage is) ~4 hours SOT per charge. That's 30-60 minutes longer than the Android Authority's 1 month follow up of the S6 Edge showed.

Is battery life is a major concern mdbills I'd recommend moving to the MXPE from your s6 edge...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch