How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I shouldn't have to (charge on the car). Phones should have enough battery to get you through the day. You should be able to use it without having to worry about whether is going to die or not before you get home which is what I got from my OPO. I was able to use it without having to worry about battery life. I think Motorola should have considered the screen size, resolution and the CPU processing power before deciding on battery size. I think everyone would have agree that a larger battery like (3400 or 3500) would have been perfect for this device. And this is not to blame Motorola only, many companies do this and it really needs to stop. Get us a bigger battery, we will all benefit and thank you for it.

This is not to say that if your phone dies at 5pm because you were playing games the entire time we should blame hardware manufacturers for that. But you should be able to make it through the day with normal daily usage no questions ask.

I really dig the feel/look of the Moto x and the speakers on that thing are rocking but battery life is high on my list of priorities and I just cant go back to having crappy battery life. Needless to say I will be going back to my OPO for now. I pre-ordered the Nexus 6P (looking forward to checking out the battery life on that)

I agree with you if you are a moderate user you shouldn't have to have it constantly charging in the car, I really fancy a new phone as I have a weakness for trying different phones and I was dead set on getting the Style BUT the battery life bothers me and I know everyone has different useage but there are a lot of people who are getting really poor battery life, I like my phone screen to be nice and bright so if I got the Style I am sure it wouldn't last me long.

I wasn't sure about it at first but the new Nexus 6P is really grabbing my interest as hopefully that battery might last longer than the Style!

damian015

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Because he shouldn't have to, he's not asking the phone to last all day while he plays games and watch netflix,he's a moderate user and wants the battery to last a full day which it should

Posted via the Android Central App

Exactly. Its not that I cant, its that I shouldn't have to.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Its not that I cant, its that I shouldn't have to.

I totally get that you shouldn't have to and I can absolutely see why mediocre battery life is a deal breaker for many folks. But charging in the car just seems like a good practice. You never know what might come up and when your next charge might be.
I've always charged whenever I'm driving. Even my OnePlus One which had the best battery performance of any smartphone I've owned.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't it be great if Moto Maker offered options for screen resolution and/or battery size?
I would have ordered a 1080/3400mah combo in a heartbeat.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Wouldn't it be great if Moto Maker offered options for screen resolution and/or battery size?
I would have ordered a 1080/3400mah combo in a heartbeat.

That would have solved every problem with this phone, other than the camera contrast/blooming/clipping issue.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you if you are a moderate user you shouldn't have to have it constantly charging in the car, I really fancy a new phone as I have a weakness for trying different phones and I was dead set on getting the Style BUT the battery life bothers me and I know everyone has different useage but there are a lot of people who are getting really poor battery life, I like my phone screen to be nice and bright so if I got the Style I am sure it wouldn't last me long.

I wasn't sure about it at first but the new Nexus 6P is really grabbing my interest as hopefully that battery might last longer than the Style!

The Nexus 6p battery life supposedly comes with Marshmallow. So the moto phones should also benefit from that. So the cheaper Moto is still a good buy

Posted via Nexus 6 or Moto X Pure

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
The Nexus 6p battery life supposedly comes with Marshmallow. So the moto phones should also benefit from that. So the cheaper Moto is still a good buy

That is something I am wondering about. Will the update fix the battery issues. I am having battery issues on my Nexus 5 and that is due to the bug in 5.0 with the cell standby.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm just hoping marshmallow fixes the radio active bug. It's basically the only thing draining my battery. When I'm at work all day I probably average about 2-2 1/2 hours screen on time. That's just basically social media and some light web browsing, maybe a few photos. While I'm home, like I was all day Sunday I get almost 4 hours connected to wifi all day.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
And that's with heavy web browsing and constantly waking my phone for sports updates and taking pictures.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Hi there

Thanks for your answer and that sounds good as at this moment I don't want to spend £499 on a 64gb Nexus 6p as I can get the Moto Style 32gb for around £365 and I can put an sd card into it so financially it is better for me as I have an Xperia Z3 and don't really need to replace it :)

Andy

Brian Baldwin

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Think mine did ok yesterday with the first all day of the charger day. When I am at work I am always around a charger and have the ability to quick charge. Yesterday being off work and just around the house I had mine off charger from 6 AM to 9 PM and still had 20% left which the phone was estimating 5 hours left. I used it a lot during the day, I am always checking Facebook, taking pictures, texting. No phone calls though

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I confirmed two things compared to my stock VZW Note 4: Both the GPU and radios drain more battery than the Note 4 and radio reception is virtually the same dBm in the same areas.

The GPU strains with any content that is actually 1440p. Not referring to straight video playback, but apps actually using the GPU for data calculations for output. VR apps are ten degrees hotter and the battery drains three times faster with apps such as Cmoar Cinema. The Pure drains fast and gets WTH hot and tops over 120 degrees. True 1440p video though does get the device a lot warmer than the Note 4.

The data radios also drain more battery than the Note 4, but does not get the device hot. It just chugs battery in weak signal areas and the device gets warm. All 3G and LTE radios do drain more battery, but the Pure drains battery Samsung S3 level bad in weak areas.

I think those two issues are heavy weighted and explain the big differences in user battery life. Catch is even light users can get slammed battery-wise if in weak areas. Not as profound as the GPU issue, but overly high draining none the less. My wife's Razr HD and son's DNA both get better signal reception and better battery life in weak areas.

The data radio is such a drainer I just turn that off if no decent signal. Seems both the data radio and the GPU on this device need some taming. That said, the data radios tend to be as-is and more antenna and attenuation dependent. The GPU can be tamed if Motorola deems it a "worthy" update.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I drain at about 4%/h if I'm on WiFi, 10%/h at work with no WiFi, so that seems to make sense.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Think mine did ok yesterday with the first all day of the charger day. When I am at work I am always around a charger and have the ability to quick charge. Yesterday being off work and just around the house I had mine off charger from 6 AM to 9 PM and still had 20% left which the phone was estimating 5 hours left. I used it a lot during the day, I am always checking Facebook, taking pictures, texting. No phone calls though

I ran into an example of no charging options at an all day presentation in a hotel today. AT&T had decent signal in the giant ballroom, but Verizon data was weak to non existent. The Pure was no better than my Note 4 has been in the same room for dBm signal. What the Pure did do though was drain my battery a lot faster and to the point I turned my data radio off to avoid running to zero. That was with no gaming and literally just MMS texting some Tapatalk and a web check for imail at less than one hour total SOT. I was down to 49% by 2PM. That equates to less than two hours SOT at 20% brightness. This device as far as radios seem not as good as the Droid 3, Razr, Razr HD, or the DNA.

Good example where a spare battery option would have been handy.

Last edited:

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I ran into an example of no charging options at an all day presentation in a hotel today. AT&T had decent signal in the giant ballroom, but Verizon data was weak to non existent. The Pure was no better than my Note 4 has been in the same room for dBm signal. What the Pure did do though was drain my battery a lot faster and to the point I turned my data radio off to avoid running to zero. That was with no gaming and literally just MMS texting some Tapatalk and a web check for imail at less than one hour total SOT. I was down to 49% by 2PM. That equates to less than two hours SOT at 20% brightness. This device as far as radios seem not as good as the Droid 3, Razr, Razr HD, or the DNA.

Good example where a spare battery option would have been handy.

This phone clearly is not for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non