How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Boy, with a price that low, it only stands to reason that Moto could have put a larger battery in the Pure without a significant cost increase!
I did notice in the description this important point about this battery pack/charger:
"Compatible models: Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge/Edge+, Note 5, Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, Sony Xperia Z4, Z4 Tablet, Z3, Z3 Compact, Z3 Tablet Compact, Z2 Tablet, Motorola Droid Turbo, Moto X 2014, HTC One M9, HTC One (M8), One Remix (Verizon Mini 2), Desire EYE, LG G Flex2, G4, Xiaomi Mi3, Mi4, Mi Note, Sharp Aquos Pad,Zeta,Sharp SH01G/02G,Fujitsu Arrows NX,F-02G,F-03G,F-05F,Kyocera Urbano L03,LeTV One Max,Pro,Panasonic CM-1,and more (Moto X Pure Edition 2015 not supported)" :'(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Boy, with a price that low, it only stands to reason that Moto could have put a larger battery in the Pure without a significant cost increase!

That may be true but there is more than cost of battery when putting it into the smartphone. They have to make it fit into the frame along with everything else -- This battery pack does not have to really fit into anything.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Watching the tear-down of this device sure makes it appear like there's plenty of room for a larger battery. But I think Verizon made them use a smaller one so the Turbo could have another thing to differentiate it from the Pure!

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I did notice in the description this important point about this battery pack/charger:
"Compatible models: Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge/Edge+, Note 5, Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, Sony Xperia Z4, Z4 Tablet, Z3, Z3 Compact, Z3 Tablet Compact, Z2 Tablet, Motorola Droid Turbo, Moto X 2014, HTC One M9, HTC One (M8), One Remix (Verizon Mini 2), Desire EYE, LG G Flex2, G4, Xiaomi Mi3, Mi4, Mi Note, Sharp Aquos Pad,Zeta,Sharp SH01G/02G,Fujitsu Arrows NX,F-02G,F-03G,F-05F,Kyocera Urbano L03,LeTV One Max,Pro,Panasonic CM-1,and more (Moto X Pure Edition 2015 not supported)" :'(

Well that sucks. I will have to try the external battery that I have. It has IQ but doesn't have quick charge. I just want to make sure it charges my device.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I got the Moto 4000 mah battery for $8 when ordered with the Pure. Used it over the weekend on a trip. To my surprise the charger pack kept up with my use and still charged from 50% to 100%. The charge shows as "AC". Some chargers will be slow and show as "USB" charging.

The battery did get pretty warm and the Pure got even warmer while both charging and using the device for video streaming, web and playing games. It was medium to heavier use. The charger was fully charged and had one bar left (25%?) when done charging the Pure. About 90 minutes total.

Added: It seemed to charge fairly fast and could explain why the device got so warm- especially with games. Again, the heaviest weight on this device (under load) especially with 1440p content is the GPU. I would rather the the GPU be throttled than beat itself to death.

Last edited:

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

"Compatible models: . . . (Moto X Pure Edition 2015 not supported)" :'(

I just received this battery pack today from Amazon. After charging it up, I plugged it in to my XPE, which then displayed the message, "TurboPower Connected."

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I just received this battery pack today from Amazon. After charging it up, I plugged it in to my XPE, which then displayed the message, "TurboPower Connected."
I can also confirm the Aukey quick charge 2.0 15000mAh charger works with the Moto X Pure.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Have you guys both tested the chargers when the phone is depleted? My Anker is waiting on the return label to go back, its not compatible with the phone and only charges a phone above 60%. Theory is the charge rate gets too fast and trips a limiter circuit in the Anker.

Posted via the Android Central App

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
No, I haven't yet tried that. My phone was about 74% when I plugged it in, and it didn't take too long to get to 96% (though I didn't time it). I'll try to test it out sometime soon from a low charge state, and time how fast it charges.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Have you guys both tested the chargers when the phone is depleted? My Anker is waiting on the return label to go back, its not compatible with the phone and only charges a phone above 60%. Theory is the charge rate gets too fast and trips a limiter circuit in the Anker.

Sadly I am past my return window for amazon. Though I don't think I have had the device for more than a year. Technically it still works but from what you are saying it won't work like it should once I get this phone.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
No, I haven't yet tried that. My phone was about 74% when I plugged it in, and it didn't take too long to get to 96% (though I didn't time it). I'll try to test it out sometime soon from a low charge state, and time how fast it charges.

I can confirm isn't the issue. My phone was at 52 percent. I plugged in the aukey and it said 25 minutes till full. Did not say turbo though. Then I plugged in the turbo charger that came with the phone, showed the same time till full.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A little over a month in and battery life is good enough for my use. I can get a day out of it if need be.

I've stopped testing it recently since I have at least an hour commute each way to a desk job.

For peace of mind, have car chargers and external battery packs ready.

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok, this is day 7 for me and the battery life has shot way up today. My screen on time isn't as high as yesterday, but even still, I didn't think battery life would be this good today.
A few people have said to give it 6-7 cycles before judging battery life. If it's this good tomorrow, I'll be a believer!
Also, my XPE hasn't gotten hot today at all.

Attachments

• 11191.jpg
    11191.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 234

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok, this is day 7 for me and the battery life has shot way up today. My screen on time isn't as high as yesterday, but even still, I didn't think battery life would be this good today.
A few people have said to give it 6-7 cycles before judging battery life. If it's this good tomorrow, I'll be a believer!
Also, my XPE hasn't gotten hot today at all.

It's only gonna get better from there :)

I can easily unplug at 7am, then go to work and by the time I get home I'm hovering around 75% to 80%.

Now that's given that I only have like, 15-30 minutes of SOT since well, I'm at my desk with a gratuitous amount of monitors and no real need for my phone.

Just mind your LTE signal and use WiFi when available and you should be gold!

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

I have the Aukey 15000 mAh. Forgot to charge it one night and woke up to a 28% battery. Used it on the train until it got down to 16%. Plugged in the Aukey using the supplied USB cable and charged during my 20 minute walk to the office. I was also playing Ingress (which is a huge battery drain) during the walk and my battery charged from 16% to ~35%.

I'm satisfied with that rate of charge seeing I was playing Ingress and the walk was only 20 minutes.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I have the Aukey 15000 mAh. Forgot to charge it one night and woke up to a 28% battery. Used it on the train until it got down to 16%. Plugged in the Aukey using the supplied USB cable and charged during my 20 minute walk to the office. I was also playing Ingress (which is a huge battery drain) during the walk and my battery charged from 16% to ~35%.

I'm satisfied with that rate of charge seeing I was playing Ingress and the walk was only 20 minutes.

Sounds like it's defaulting to a standard charge, which is better than the Anker that won't charge at all.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The cable matters too. I had a few that only charged USB, but found several that charge AC and turbocharge, depending on what charger I use. I have Samsung standard and fast chargers.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

This is good to know. I hate when I forget to charge and then I need to play Ingress lol