Cricket: MMS Not Working When WiFi is Enabled

bkubel

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello all! I recently purchased a Moto X Pure and am using it with Cricket. I recently noticed a problem that I have been running into. When the phone is connected to WiFi, my MMS messages will not send or receive. I have to physically turn off my WiFi network for the messages to come through or to send out. This is very frustrating. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I am using the Google messaging app and not the stock messenger app. Could this be the problem?

colton groters

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! MMS messages being texts or pictures or videos? Because pictures and video MMS messages are sent over LTE, not wifi

This isn't an issue, its just how it works

Posted via the Android Central App

bkubel

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: MMS Not Working When WiFi is Enabled

I understand, but on my previous phone (Nexus 5), even with the WiFi turned on, it would automatically send a MMS message (texts and images) through LTE. With this phone, I'm having to toggle WiFi off so that it sends through, something that should be done automatically.

colton groters

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
My Moto G 2015 does the same thing your Pure does. Still waiting on my Pure to arrive

Edit: Just tried it and it sent the picture in the background on Moto G

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Hm that's odd. My pure edition on T-Mobile will send MMS via mobile data in the background even though wifi is connected.

Are you using a 3rd party messenger app? If so ensure it isn't trying to send via WiFi when it shouldn't.

bkubel

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site

Yes, it's very odd. I've been using Google Messenger forever -- since I got my Nexus 5. Just switched it back to the default Moto one and it's doing the same thing.

evanwhat

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site

I understand, but on my previous phone (Nexus 5), even with the WiFi turned on, it would automatically send a MMS message (texts and images) through LTE. With this phone, I'm having to toggle WiFi off so that it sends through, something that should be done automatically.

bkubel, I'm in the same boat -- really annoying as I'll end up missing a lot of group conversations, pictures, etc. Any leads on this? I'm having the same problem on my Nexus 6 on Cricket Wireless. APN settings are correct, talked with Cricket customer service (points the finger at Motorola), tried using Google Hangouts for MMS/SMS same problem, still haven't figured it out. Previously was using a Galaxy S3 on Cricket and didn't have any problems with MMS while connected to WiFi.

walter1832

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Count me in as well. It's been an issue for a while now. Moto X PE on Cricket using Hangouts. I need to turn off Wifi to get it to work. I called Cricket and they said it was normal for it to do this. I had a Nexus 5 on Cricket using Hangouts, and it did not have this issue. Frustrating.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

The only app I've seen where someone could send SMS and MMS over Wi-Fi is Verizon Messages.

EastCoastBuff

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same issue. Also on Cricket. It is definitely an issue. I was using a Moto E while waiting for my Moto X Pure to get delivered and didn't have any problems. Do you think it is a Cricket issue, Marshmallow issue, or just a Moto X issue?

evanwhat

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site

After more digging, found this thread on reddit (tried posting URL, but apparently am not allowed until I've posted 10 times -- google "another day with Cricket Wireless MMS ><"). Seems like they were able to manually resolve it through custom APN settings.

I wasn't too keen on going that route, so tried using a new SMS/MMS app and that's worked for me -- using Textra now and haven't had any problems since. Hope this helps!

evanwhat

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site

Wow! Submitted this to Cricket's customer service email and they replied in 12 minutes confirming:
Billy M. (Cricket Wireless)
Dec 16, 8:46 AM

Hello Evan,

Thank you for contacting Cricket Support. I am sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with your MMS while on WiFi. Our network team has been made aware of this issue and is currently working on a resolution. In the meantime you can use one of the IP addresses below in your MMS proxy under the APN settings which should fix the issue.

Thank you,
Billy

Looks like the reddit guys were correct and IP addresses are legit.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'll update the thread title to reflect Cricket.

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello all! I recently purchased a Moto X Pure and am using it with Cricket. I recently noticed a problem that I have been running into. When the phone is connected to WiFi, my MMS messages will not send or receive. I have to physically turn off my WiFi network for the messages to come through or to send out. This is very frustrating. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I am using the Google messaging app and not the stock messenger app. Could this be the problem?

Ditch Google Messenger, try stock messenger app or Textra and problem will be solve, I had the same issue with Google Messenger, and many other have also, check their forums you will see.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the same problem with my 2014 pure. The issue seems confined to Google Texting apps (hangouts and messenger). MMS functionality with those apps while on WiFi is spotty. Using Textra avoids the problem.

bkubel

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site

Wow! Submitted this to Cricket's customer service email and they replied in 12 minutes confirming:

Looks like the reddit guys were correct and IP addresses are legit.

FIXED! Thanks for sharing this. I updated my MMS proxy to the first IP address listed and MMS now works like a charm.

stonekingt

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I checked all kinds of forums to fix the MMS issue, my settings were correct. I had the stock Samsung messenger app and then tried Google Messenger with no luck. However as soon as I downloaded Textra and set it as my default messaging app everything worked normally! Also I modified the Textra settings so I could see delivery receipt. VERY handy. Hope this helps someone else! :)

iandefilippo

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Awesome I have two phones on cricket that were fixed here with the same issue as described....I also used the top IP
Thanks man!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87