Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition (24.11.18)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
A factory reset probably wont' fix this. It seems to be an issue with 6.0. Also I think MMS works when you are not connected to WiFi. I remember this bug from KitKat. Google had to release a fix for it then as well
MMS is working for me, whether or not I have WiFi enabled.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
A factory reset probably wont' fix this. It seems to be an issue with 6.0. Also I think MMS works when you are not connected to WiFi. I remember this bug from KitKat. Google had to release a fix for it then as well

well i went ahead and did a factory reset and now its working. I just dont know what happen before.
Google Messenger or Motorola's Messages app?
Google Messenger

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I installed it works fine just some dumb bugs like volume toggle notification not disappearing after pressed. But nothing serious I haven't seen anything serious. Also, I've heard tmobile enable band 12 for the moto x pure edition.
According to moto the volume is required to stay on the screen for 30 seconds if any accessibility services are enabled like moto assist. It's some weird requirement with Android 6.0. Apparently if you disable moto voice in the accessibility setting menu this will go away. But it's not moto's fault apparently.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
According to moto the volume is required to stay on the screen for 30 seconds if any accessibility services are enabled like moto assist. It's some weird requirement with Android 6.0. Apparently if you disable moto voice in the accessibility setting menu this will go away. But it's not moto's fault apparently.

Huh, that is weird, I hadn't waited for 30 seconds before and figured it was broken, but it does eventually go away.

Thanks for the info!

Posted via the Android Central App

tk42one

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
One thing I haven't seen mentioned: Moto Display now has controls for Spotify!

Other than that, certain websites seem to be freezing or very slow to respond, and while VoLTE on T-Mobile is great, I've been getting 'popping' noises on some calls that I didn't get before.

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
One thing I haven't seen mentioned: Moto Display now has controls for Spotify!

Other than that, certain websites seem to be freezing or very slow to respond, and while VoLTE on T-Mobile is great, I've been getting 'popping' noises on some calls that I didn't get before.

I've had some weird issues with chrome on some sites, I think that's a chrome/website bug with marshmallow.

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been encountering notifications to share bug reports since I updated to MM. It doesn't seem at all consistent when they occur but it's frequent enough for me to take note of them. Has anyone else encountered this? The closest to useful thing in the bug report itself I could find was something about permission denied for procrank, then just a bunch of stuff about memory allocation

EDIT: Issue apparently caused by leaving usb debugging on all the time. Toggled feature off and we'll see if that stops it from happening.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Moto X Pure Marshmallow 6.0 first impression.

I loved my Moto X Pure running 5.1.1. It was fast a fluid and felt a joy to use. This is my first Moto phone I've owned and I found the additional Moto features really useful, which influenced me to get the Pure instead of a Nexus this year.

Now, with the same phone running 6.0 via an OTA update and a factory reset being completed, I can say with confidence that the update has somehow improved this phone. Before Marshmallow, I would have ever so slight lag on the phone, for example when I would receive a notification, using the Moto Display to open a Hangout message or Whatsapp message it would stutter and take a couple of seconds to open the message - this lag has now gone. Marshmallow feels like the software this phone was designed to run on.

Everything from the small animation updates to the new features like Doze and Now on Tap are excellent and work great on the phone. I haven't really had a chance to test out Doze, as I can't keep my phone idle for any length of time, but Now on Tap is a cool feature.

I like the small, finer upgrades Marshmallow brings to Lollipop;

1) The lockscreen clock, date and month are bolder and look better.
2) In the clock app, when pressing the stop watch or the alarm icon they have small animations, which are nice.
3) App suggestions in the main app drawer is useful, although I did have this before Marshmallow.
4) The System UI Tuner feature is cool as it allows you to re-position or remove some of the shortcut toggles on the notification drop down.
4b) it also allows you to disable certain information from the status bar, like WiFi and Mobile data etc.

I've only had the update for approx 72 hours, so I can't really comment on the battery life, but put it like this - before Marshmallow I didn't need to monitor my battery consumption, with Marshmallow I still don't need to monitor my battery consumption. The phone lasts me all day, usually with about 40% left on charge and I'm a heavy user.

The main update to the phone comes in the way of the Moto app itself. The front screen looks the same, bright blue with helpful tips like "try saying ok moto x then find my phone" etc. When you select the three stars in the top right hand corner to reveal what the app can do, this is where things change. There are now three options:

1) Actions
2) Voice
3) display

1) In Actions, we have the option to disable / enable: Moto Display, Attentive Display, Karate Chop, lift for Moto Voice and Quick Capture.
2) In Voice, we have the options to change the launch phrase and decide what commands work before unlocking the phone. We also have "Talk to Me" which is basically driving mode.
3) In Display, we have the option to turn on or off the Moto Display, you can also block apps from showing on the lock screen and it also gives you the option to "Keep screen dark" which was night mode on Lollipop (think that's what it was called)

The camera UI has remained the same, still the touch screen to capture. I've read that the camera comes with improvements, but I haven't had the chance to test them out as it's mostly dark and wet here in Scotland.

The only thing I'll miss from Lollipop is the call shortcut on the lockscreen, I used this all the time - this has now been replaced with the Google Microphone, which I feel is kind of pointless considering you can wake the phone up without touching it.

Anyways, loving Marshmallow on the Moto X Pure, can't fault it or Motorola for the super fast update.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Marshmallow 6.0 first impression.

Nice write-up. I normally do a reset after a system upgrade, but haven't done it yet with this. It's looking like I'll have to due to some minor buggy issues I've experienced.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Surprisingly this is the first time I've did a factory reset after an update. It's like getting a new phone :)

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
So much better after factory reset

So finally bit the bullet and did factory reset with marshmallow and it got rid of all the bugs I had from upgrading to marshmallow from lolipop.. Phone is promoting know je it should storage is working as intended and life is buttery smooth. Can't blame droid though.. Almost any and all os's are better after a fresh install versus a upgrade patch.. Sucks loosing my txts and such but we'll worth it.. Anyone having bugs or sluggish behavior.. Do a factory reset and it will cure your woe's..

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site

First impressions are my phone is noticeably snappier. Apps open almost instantly. No waiting. The audio bug with no proper notification noise seems better.

Really early days but great out of the gate so far :)

Posted via the Android Central App

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: So much better after factory reset

Sucks loosing my txts and such but we'll worth it.. Anyone having bugs or sluggish behavior.. Do a factory reset and it will cure your woe's..

I use My Backup Pro app (costs a few bucks), and it backs up text messages and more. It doesn't save home screen layouts (I think Nova launcher might do that, but I'm not sure) or WiFi or account logins, but I've appreciated having backups on a few emergency occasions now. Unless my phone isn't functioning, I would do a backup before any factory reset, then restore as much as possible after the reset.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

I use My Backup Pro app (costs a few bucks), and it backs up text messages and more. It doesn't save home screen layouts (I think Nova launcher might do that, but I'm not sure) or WiFi or account logins, but I've appreciated having backups on a few emergency occasions now. Unless my phone isn't functioning, I would do a backup before any factory reset, then restore as much as possible after the reset.
Will My Backup Pro backup mms picture and group messages? I'm having a heck of a time finding an app that will do this properly. Lots of them say they will, but I've tested a handful that don't work at all. I'm perfectly willing to pay a few bucks for one that works.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused why every topic someone makes reviewing or pointing out new features in Marshmallow on this phone gets merged into this thread, except the ones Ry starts.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Will My Backup Pro backup mms picture and group messages? I'm having a heck of a time finding an app that will do this properly. Lots of them say they will, but I've tested a handful that don't work at all. I'm perfectly willing to pay a few bucks for one that works.
Yep, been using it for years and I switch devices every 2 months or less.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused why every topic someone makes reviewing or pointing out new features in Marshmallow on this phone gets merged into this thread, except the ones Ry starts.
Because
5e8f418b180bf40dacf135aa53ba545e.jpg

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
SO I have a question for those that have updated to Marshmallow. Does it allow for more compact icons on the screen now? I'm currently debating between a Nexus 5X and MXPE and one thing I find appealing about the Nexus is it's ability to have 5 icons across on the screen "out-of-the-box". I've heard conflicting reports if this is a Nexus device "feature", or if it's baked into Marshmallow. So for the MXPE owners who upgraded to MM and running the stock launcher, can you now fit 5 icons across on the home screen?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
SO I have a question for those that have updated to Marshmallow. Does it allow for more compact icons on the screen now? I'm currently debating between a Nexus 5X and MXPE and one thing I find appealing about the Nexus is it's ability to have 5 icons across on the screen "out-of-the-box". I've heard conflicting reports if this is a Nexus device "feature", or if it's baked into Marshmallow. So for the MXPE owners who upgraded to MM and running the stock launcher, can you now fit 5 icons across on the home screen?
Nope, still 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez