6.0 Marshmallow: Contacts are not being recognized in calls log and incoming calls

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

We've upgraded successfully our two US Moto X Pure Edition devices to Marshmallow yesterday. After upgrade completed, the numbers of calling contact are not being recognized anymore, although these contact exists and saved in android's Contact app, and backed up in Gmail accounts.
Also, all incoming and outgoing calls in the call log are not recognized, although they were recognized before the upgrade.

This is very critical for us, since one of the phones is used as a business phone and it's crucial for us to know who's calling.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Contacts are not being recognized in calls log and incoming calls, after upgrading to Marshmallo

That's strange. I haven't had that issue. Perhaps you'll need to do a backup and then a factory reset.

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Found this - wipe partition cache. Didn't try it yet, waiting for less drastic solution.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/uANuzYdsp8E;context-place=topicsearchin/nexus/category$3Acontacts-and-sync%7Csort:relevance%7Cspell:false

https://youtu.be/9MgvKEuzyik

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Contacts are not being recognized in calls log and incoming calls, after upgrading to Marshmallo

Workaround solution that we've found : export contact to a csv file form the device. After doing that, you'll get an email with the file attached. Save it to Downloads directory, and re-import it again.
This will fix the call log and calls recognition, but will also create duplicates, which sucks.

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

Another workaround, that does not create duplicates, but does delete Call history/log:
Go to Contacts info page, either by dragging it up to the App info or by manage it via Setup - >apps->contacts.
Then, enter the storage section of the app, and press "clear data" and also "clear cache".
After doing that, all your contacts will be deleted from your device, and call history will be cleared. Don't worry about that, because they the contact will start synching back to the phone from your Gmail/Google contacts. And that's it, problem fixed. Callers are being identified again in incoming calls and in call log (that unfortunately is now empty).

roee m

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site

Hi all,

We've upgraded successfully our two US Moto X Pure Edition devices to Marshmallow yesterday. After upgrade completed, the numbers of calling contact are not being recognized anymore, although these contact exists and saved in android's Contact app, and backed up in Gmail accounts.
Also, all incoming and outgoing calls in the call log are not recognized, although they were recognized before the upgrade.

This is very critical for us, since one of the phones is used as a business phone and it's crucial for us to know who's calling.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I have the same problem. Are you from Isreal?
Did you find any solution?

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I'm from Israel :)
I did find a solution, but it's a bit technical.
I found that the problem is that incoming calls are without a country prefix (in Golan telecom, at least..), while Google is backing up the contacts with County prefix included (i.e. +972). So incoming calls with no prefix are not recognized. The solution is to add an additional number with no prefix to each contact on the phone, and this is how you do it :

1. Go to your Gmail account via PC/laptop, and export all contact to a. vcf file.
2. Open the exported file with a file editor such as notepad++
3. Manually replace the prefix +972 with 0 (zero) for all numbers that has this prefix. So for example a number like
+972 525347568
Will look like this after the replacement:
4. After fixing all numbers with the +972 prefix, save the file.
5. Copy the file to your phone. I did it by uploading it to Google Drive, and then downloading it to the phone
6. Go to Contacts app on your phone, open the three dots menu on the upper right corner (or upper left if your on Hebrew), and select "import from vcf file"

And that's it, you're done. Now every contact with +972 number will also have a number without a prefix. Incoming calls will be recognized, including in the call log/history.

Let me know if it also fixed the problem for you too.

Last edited:

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

This is a big problem for me too!
I've about 1200 contacts, separated by business, friends, family and/or groups and subgroups.
After this update, I've lost all new entries over last several weeks, there are now duplicate entries and they seem to be the contacts that I've added info to over the last year ... so now "Joe" has a contact with the basic info AND another contact with the additional info added over the last year.
My contact list is now 3187 large!

WTF?!?!

I checked my old phone and this is not a problem.

What a disaster.

Reason enough to abandon the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Is this a region-specific issue?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Yeh, this is a really a huge critical bug. For now my workaround with the import file works, but I also have over 2000 contacts instead of ~1300.

And another thing - if after the file import I merge the contacts in Gmail after they were synced, the contacts are again not recognized, because the merge removes the contacts numbers without a country prefix, and synch the change back to the phone!
After this happened, I had to import the file again for the contacts to be recognized,and of course I didn't merge again in Gmail.
This is really sucks!

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Yeh, this is a really a huge critical bug. For now my workaround with the import file works, but I also have over 2000 contacts instead of ~1300.

And another thing - if after the file import I merge the contact in Google, after the were synced, the contacts are again not recognized, because the merge removes the contacts without a country prefix!
After this happened, I had to import the file again for the contacts to be recognized.
This is really sucks!

I'm curious if this is a Motorola-specific issue.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

SaintlySins, where are you from?

SuperG280

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

I have the same problem in my two motor 2° generation and I live in spain.it's not a region problem, it's global. I don't understand the solution. I need the international code (here in spain +34) to call in travels. Must I put the code or not?

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

I think that in your case you'll need two numbers for each contact - one with country prefix and one without it.
I didn't try it my self, but I don't think the application in my previous post adds number, looks like it fixes the existing ones that on the phone, so it might not be good enough for you.
As I see it, you'll need to use my solution - export Gmail contacts to a vcf file, fix the numbers manually and import the file to your phone. This will create additional number for each contact you've edited.

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

I've had this bug ever since I updated to 6.0, but I did something different that seems to help things. I was over at XDA and found a flashable zip over there that has the Nexus phone dialer and contacts. I flashed those, and after making sure that my contacts were showing up properly, I disabled the phone dialer and contacts app that came with the phone.

*Note* Don't do this if you aren't comfortable with setting permissions, in case something goes awry. Also, make sure you change your default dialer (settings -> apps -> gear icon -> default apps) to the new dialer or else you'll have issues.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Found this - wipe partition cache. Didn't try it yet, waiting for less drastic solution.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/uANuzYdsp8E;context-place=topicsearchin/nexus/category$3Acontacts-and-sync%7Csort:relevance%7Cspell:false

https://youtu.be/9MgvKEuzyik

It's not drastic at all. It won't erase any of your info or settings. This really should be done every few months or so, especially if your device starts running slower. Do it!

Coresh

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
So I eventually went a head and did it, I wiped the partition cache. Indeed no data was erased, but this wasn't what fixed the contacts problem ☺

Last edited:

Sasha Medv

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
So I tried to wipe the cache partition, this didn't help. What solved the problem:
I removed all google accounts (in Google settings), and then added them back. After 15 minutes during which I was sure my contacts were lost forever, everything returned to normal, and I even can see the contacts in past calls in the call log. Yay :)

Carlos Alba

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

Another workaround, that does not create duplicates, but does delete Call history/log:
Go to Contacts info page, either by dragging it up to the App info or by manage it via Setup - >apps->contacts.
Then, enter the storage section of the app, and press "clear data" and also "clear cache".
After doing that, all your contacts will be deleted from your device, and call history will be cleared. Don't worry about that, because they the contact will start synching back to the phone from your Gmail/Google contacts. And that's it, problem fixed. Callers are being identified again in incoming calls and in call log (that unfortunately is now empty).

Thanks very much... I had this same issue. MOTO X 2014 upgraded today to Marshmallow