How seamless is the SD card integration in Marshmallow?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
How seamless is the SD card integration in Marshmallow? I wanted to go for the 16GB model and use an SD card.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Considering buying this... couple quick questions

Shaky. I've heard good and bad. If you just want to use it for music, videos and photos then it works great. If you want to integrate it as system memory and move apps and stuff to it then be prepared to get a high speed, high quality card that you can not use again or replace . If you replace it and you had it integrated as system memory then you loose everything stored on that card.Same goes for if the card fails; you loose everything the phone has put on the card. I've heard good and bad with setting up the SD card as system storage and I personally think, like most Google things, there are some bugs in how it works since it's so new that I hesitate to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 16gb mxpe and a 64gb sandisk extreme plus uhs-1/u3 card.
I adopted the storage and got a slow card warning from android. I proceeded with the adoption. I have no lag when opening apps that are stored on the SD. The phone does however reset the app notification settings whenever I reboot the phone. I've tried moving those apps to internal storage and it still drops the settings whenever I restart the phone.
Not sure if that is related to adopting the storage in the first place or not though.

Posted via the Android Central App

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I went to a website that did a read/write speed comparison of SD cards. The winner was a Transcend x633 card. I adopted it as internal storage. Cannot tell any speed difference in the phone. Works great. I found a couple of apps that don't work well on the SD card, though. I had to move them back to phone storage. But, that was the only issue. Oh, I bought the 16gig phone. And the SD card was the Transcend 32 gig x633.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so would something like the Samsung Evo be sufficient or would I need to move up to something faster?

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
It's a little bit different for everyone from what I'm reading. Some people get a message saying their card is slow and might slow performance and some don't. I didn't and used a 128 gb from san disk.

Initially it didn't work at all. I downloaded a bunch of giant games to test it and all saved to internal storage which was only 16 gb (my mistake) and I had to go into settings to get it to work. I had to (migrate) from sd card to internal a few times until it finally worked.

And then it worked. Really worked. Any app or game I downloaded saved to sd card. Apps that did not probably move before I could move manually. And best of all downloading movies offline from vudu finally worked and saved to SD card. The fatal flaw is google play music doesn't recognize it so it just saves offline to internal. Fine if you have more then a 16 GB base storage or if you don't use music a lot. I never noticed any slowdown in mine. I've had several apps running, bluetooth on, hotspot on (always) and even my moga connected.

That being said if you just need music or pictures and don't need the apps to be moved your better off just leaving it as portable storage. The only apps that can't be moved are system apps which is unfortunately google play music :(. Hoping google fixes this soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa