Mulling between 16 and 64GB

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input.
Is the notion true, that in order for the phone to perform at the optimal speed, there has to be a few free GB in space?
On my original 2013 Moto X, I experienced a noticeable performance hit whenever I got down under 1 GB free.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my wife a 16GB MXPE along with a 64GB Sandisk UHS-3 card, I set it up with adoptable storage. I haven't told her that there's a different between this and her previous Moto X 32GB (2014). I installed all 123 of her apps, and restored all 30,000 of her text messages, and let everything sit overnight to index. It will be interesting to see if she runs into any problems.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So far so good. I did migrate a bunch of apps manually to the SD card (I restored the accounts from another phone). Currently, only the OS and a bunch of core apps are on the internal drive, leaving about 5gb free. All media storage was automatically put on the SD. No obvious slowdowns, even 4k video seems to be working fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Another update. Phone is functioning fine, still no issues with slowdowns or freezes. One small but annoying issue has cropped up, discussed here:

http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...-moving-apps-to-internal-storage-after-update

Basically, based on a particular flag in the apk manifest, some apps will not automatically migrate to adoptable storage during setup. Many of those apps can be manually moved to the SD card. However, when those apps update via the play store, they will move back to internal storage. So, every once in a while, I move updated apps back to the SD card. Not a big deal, and a problem that should go away as developers get comfortable with adoptable storage, but not quite " set it and forget it".

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Another update. Phone is functioning fine, still no issues with slowdowns or freezes. One small but annoying issue has cropped up, discussed here:

google play store - Android Marshmallow keeps moving apps to internal storage after update - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

Basically, based on a particular flag in the apk manifest, some apps will not automatically migrate to adoptable storage during setup. Many of those apps can be manually moved to the SD card. However, when those apps update via the play store, they will move back to internal storage. So, every once in a while, I move updated apps back to the SD card. Not a big deal, and a problem that should go away as developers get comfortable with adoptable storage, but not quite " set it and forget it".

This is an ongoing issue...and it's super annoying on my S5, which makes me feel that Adopted storage is a gimmick. I don't need the OS to manage my media storage for me and would prefer being able to remove the card and load it up how I prefer.

Can you do a bulk move or do you have to manually move each app individually?

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You have to move each app individually. By the way, some apps ( t Mobile Voicemail, Google fit, wunderlist) don't work correctly (or at all) on the SD card, so you do have to watch for misbehaving apps.

If you have enough internal storage on your S5, I would go back to traditional portable storage, and just use the SD for media storage. In my case, I already had a speedy 64 GB card, and wanted to try it out (and save $200). Works for me because I'm a bit of a phone nerd but I probably wouldn't recommend adoptable storage to my friends.