Mulling between 16 and 64GB

shinytoy

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I ordered the x pure 64GB when it was on sale at B&H for 399.
Now that the 16GB version is at 299, which is the better deal? should I return the 64 version and save the 100 bucks?
given the adoptable storage

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can certainly get more than 58GB for less than 100 bucks, so from that standpoint, it would make sense to get the 16GB and an SD Card. From a reliability and performance point of view, internal memory is always better.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I have the 16gb and wish I had at least a 32GB. The system takes up so much of that memory that you cannot install that many apps. I even tried to do the SD card as internal memory, but then I couldn't figure out how to copy my music to it-it always copied to the true internal memory which ran out fast.

shinytoy

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
So all things considered the 64GB is the better deal?
How well does adoptable storage work?
Have seen some reports that it does not really work as intended, any credence to that?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's slower than internal storage, and since it's device-encrypted, you can no longer manage the SD card easily on a computer (that's the reason some manufacturers are supporting SD cards but not adoptable storage, to avoid the confusion). You certainly go through more hurdles with it, but it's OK as long as you don't need to 'touch' your SD Card.

And of course, SD cards aren't the most reliable thing in the world. So proceed with caution.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
64gb is what you want. 16gb simply isn't enough for most people and adoptable storage isn't for everyone. For example, I use my removable storage for pics and video, like most, and I like being able to move the card to whatever device I want. So, yeah, stick with 64gb, IMO. I have 32gb, BTW, and I'm doing fine with that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Stick with the 64GB.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
This question comes up a lot. In the end it comes down to a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks ( minus of course the cost of the SD card with the purchase of the 16 gig'r ) I've got two MXPE's. One has 16 gb and a 32 gb card it runs just as well as the larger storage version running the same card. If your current usage is well below the needs of the 64 get the 16, save some money. Both versions are a really good deal at that price.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Having the extra storage is always handy. I managed to get along fine with 16Gb on my N5 but now I have 64 on the 6P I'm doing so much more with the phone.

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I won't buy another 16GB phone; not enough memory usable after the OS and std apps. Get at least a 32GB, and get the 64GB if you can afford it.
Then add an SD card. Amazon has very good sale prices today only on SanDisk cards and flash drives.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
You seem to have that extra $100 available otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. So spend that extra money on a phone with the most memory for these reasons:

1. You won't have second guess your rationalization of going with lesser memory.
2. Technology moves so fast that it's usually best to invest all you can in the latest technology to fend off obsolescence.
3. You can never have enough memory (debatable...it depends on the person).
4. You may get hit by a bus tomorrow and you don't want to die knowing you didn't live life to the fullest.
5. Adaptable storage is more trouble than it's worth. Portable storage is a better option if you have a lot of media to store. If you have a lot of apps...get 64GB of internal memory and don't rely on Google's poorly implemented solution for adaptable storage.

Life is short...make it as enjoyable as possible. I'm not preaching all-out hedonism...but something more reasonable that is just short of that.

MORANDCHI

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered mine with 64 Gig, I also ordered a 128gb micro sim from amazon too. I am upgrading from a LG G3. I can''t wait for the stock Android and i have never owned a moto phone too.

shinytoy

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the input.
Is the notion true, that in order for the phone to perform at the optimal speed, there has to be a few free GB in space?

shinytoy

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
This question comes up a lot. In the end it comes down to a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks ( minus of course the cost of the SD card with the purchase of the 16 gig'r ) I've got two MXPE's. One has 16 gb and a 32 gb card it runs just as well as the larger storage version running the same card. If your current usage is well below the needs of the 64 get the 16, save some money. Both versions are a really good deal at that price.
I'd say it's well bellow 64, 32 would've been ideal.
App wise I can get away with 16, but then you cant really use the 4K video i think

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Can't seem to find the answer to this elsewhere...

If you're using adaptive storage and an app is on the SD card, will it move back to internal when updated?

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

patstar5

May 15, 2012
Visit site
So the only way you can run apps from a micro sd card is to use it as "adoptable storage" but then you can't use the sd card in other devices?
Debating on whether to buy a moto x or not, I have a oneplus one (64gb) now and want to upgrade to a phone with a better camera before the end of July when I take my summer trip.
If I wait until June I could probably pick up a 32gb or 64gb moto x for under $300 on eBay.
Or I wait for next oneplus 3 or moto x...

Posted via Android Central App on 1+1