Any way to force a security patch update?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not surprised by Verizon wanting to maintain as much control as possible, even if the hardware did not originate with VZW.

I am puzzled at the difference in arrival time, of the security patch, within the same service provider.

I take it more as Motorola wants to make sure it didn't break anything.

In my experience, Motorola does OTAs in periods of push (available to certain IMEIs in batches) until it's available for everyone to pull down.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I take it more as Motorola wants to make sure it didn't break anything.

In my experience, Motorola does OTAs in periods of push (available to certain IMEIs in batches) until it's available for everyone to pull down.

Ah... So, with that line of thinking is not being held up, it's being sent out to some, but not all....perhaps by region, add opposed to carrier. Got it. Thanks.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ah... So, with that line of thinking is not being held up, it's being sent out to some, but not all....perhaps by region, add opposed to carrier. Got it. Thanks.

It's never by region, if we're talking city to city, state to state.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and I'm a resident of the North Eastern United States. I still have the May update, and I'm getting aggravated. The XPE was supposed to be treated like a Nexus device - quickly updated, hence its "vanilla" OS. That obviously didn't turn out to be the case, and I'm considering bailing and getting a new phone.

I'm too nervous about data breaches. The fact Motorola/Levono have been so lackadaisical by allowing this phone to be forgotten for 7.5 months is irritating. I think I'll look at the Pixel.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and I'm a resident of the North Eastern United States. I still have the May update, and I'm getting aggravated. The XPE was supposed to be treated like a Nexus device - quickly updated, hence its "vanilla" OS. That obviously didn't turn out to be the case, and I'm considering bailing and getting a new phone.

I'm too nervous about data breaches. The fact Motorola/Levono have been so lackadaisical by allowing this phone to be forgotten for 7.5 months is irritating. I think I'll look at the Pixel.

I think people assumed that because it's an unlocked, non-carrier phone, it should get updates fast.

That doesn't matter.

It's about what the OEM wants to support. Look at the unlocked Galaxy S7. As far as I know, carrier models, like Verizon's, have been ahead of the unlocked model when it comes to security patches.

The third gen Moto X has multiple versions of the first gen Moto Zs and fourth gen Moto Gs ahead of it.

I'll repeat, if OS updates and monthly security patches are important to you, Pixel and Nexus are your only options.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I think people assumed that because it's an unlocked, non-carrier phone, it should get updates fast.

That doesn't matter.

It's about what the OEM wants to support. Look at the unlocked Galaxy S7. As far as I know, carrier models, like Verizon's, have been ahead of the unlocked model when it comes to security patches.

The third gen Moto X has multiple versions of the first gen Moto Zs and fourth gen Moto Gs ahead of it.

I'll repeat, if OS updates and monthly security patches are important to you, Pixel and Nexus are your only options.

Given vulnerabilities and susceptibilies that phones have had, phones seem to require patches more often than once every 7.5 months.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Given vulnerabilities and susceptibilies that phones have had, phones seem to require patches more often than once every 7.5 months.

It'll be that way until one of vulnerabilities is actually exploited on a majority of devices.

Buy a Pixel or Nexus.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think most folks assume this, because that's how this phone was marketed. I certainly recall reading that it would be updated along the same timelines as Nexus phones.

And if a new patch comes around every seven months, what sense does it make for it to be at least four months old, when it gets to my phone?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think most folks assume this, because that's how this phone was marketed. I certainly recall reading that it would be updated along the same timelines as Nexus phones.

Got any examples of this?

And if a new patch comes around every seven months, what sense does it make for it to be at least four months old, when it gets to my phone?

Motorola never committed to an update schedule.

You bought the wrong phone if you're expecting Nexus/Pixel-like updates.

And my Verizon prepaid Moto E is now ahead of my Moto X Pure Edition. lol.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Got any examples of this?
No, sir. I typically don't save year old articles / reviews. ;-)
It was from reputable (or at least what I consider to be reputable) sources, or I would have put any stake in it.

Motorola never committed to an update schedule.

You bought the wrong phone if you're expecting Nexus/Pixel-like updates.

And my Verizon prepaid Moto E is now ahead of my Moto X Pure Edition. lol.
That's just sad...but I'm not totally 'disenfranchised'. ;-)
This phone is still the best for me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No, sir. I typically don't save year old articles / reviews. ;-)
It was from reputable (or at least what I consider to be reputable) sources, or I would have put any stake in it.

That's just sad...but I'm not totally 'disenfranchised'. ;-)
This phone is still the best for me.
Those old articles aren't Motorola marketing.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
September 1, 2016 security update received 11 January 2017.
One hundred, thirty two days. Not bad.
(eyes looking up)

Honestly, I know this is a long time for security updates, but I'll take this unlocked phone and it's delayed updates over *ANY* of the carrier bloated phones out there...