Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
With Sprint, a Nexus 5 bought directly from Google isn't blocked from activating the Bluetooth and Wifi hotspots.
You can actually connect the devices to it without a problem.
Accessing the internet from a hotspot connected device is another story.
It doesn't work. It's blocked. :confused:
Was hoping someone else had run into these and had a solution for it.

I have Sprint too and it would be nice to be able to do something like this. I tried PDAnet. It would connect my devices with BT but not work.

ShlomoX

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Awesome!! Also works with MetroPCS whose GSM phones run on T-Mobile network. $60 unlimited LTE w/ tax and fees included and now tethering is there a better deal out there.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I wish I wasn't locked into at&t contract or I would consider that metro Pcs plan. I could save $40 a month

Posted via Android Central App

ougrad1

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Tethering is working great on my gsm unlocked on at&t

Yup, this was such a nice unexpected benefit with the unlocked moto x coming from my S4 and having to use foxFi to get free tethering. I'm writing this post on my iPad Air tethered to my moto x from a discount tire for free. This phone is fantastic!

cq1125

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Even when you go over the data cap?

Not really sure what you mean, but I have the 30 a month plan with "unlimited" (5gb high speed) data and before I used this method it would pop up the T-Mobile page. Now it works fine, and I've used probably 500mb per month tethering.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

kdm212

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
so i edited my apn on the phone. now my comp is now all set. however, im still running into all types of roadblocks on my samsung (tab 3) tablet. any suggestions or am i missing something here?

lol wow, i went into the setting on my tablet and noticed they were set to 2012. i changed them and instantly noticed play store started to update everything. low and behold netflix works now too!

Last edited:

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Any idea whether your plan affects this? I'm planning on getting an unlocked Moto X and using the $30/month plan, and I really want to be able to tether my Nexus 7 to it. Also, is this Wifi tethering, Bluetooth tethering, or both?

cq1125

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Any idea whether your plan affects this? I'm planning on getting an unlocked Moto X and using the $30/month plan, and I really want to be able to tether my Nexus 7 to it. Also, is this Wifi tethering, Bluetooth tethering, or both?

The $30 a month plan is great! And tethering works fine as far as I can tell. I've only tried the WiFi, not Bluetooth, but I'd imagine it would work just the same.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Any idea whether your plan affects this? I'm planning on getting an unlocked Moto X and using the $30/month plan, and I really want to be able to tether my Nexus 7 to it.

Tethering is controlled by the carrier and their information on the SIM installed.

Check you can Tether before signing up.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
plan with "unlimited" (5gb high speed) data and before I used this method it would pop up the T-Mobile page. Now it works fine, and I've used probably 500mb per month tethering.

OK, a few things here.
1:
Read the fine print for your "unlimited" data and I am pretty sure you will see 2GB and then it drops to 2G or EDGE.
2:
That should be "(5mb high speed)"
3:
500mb of Tethering is nothing, we are currently running at 90+GB, yup, Giga, now that's what you call unlimited and it costs us 60-bucks. :)
4:
Check with the provider that you can roam with data and Tethering. My guess is not.
5:
Fine print is always mandatory reading.

cq1125

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
OK, a few things here.
1: Read the fine print for your "unlimited" data and I am pretty sure you will see 2GB and then it drops to 2G or EDGE.
2: That should be "(5mb high speed)"
3: 500mb of Tethering is nothing, we are currently running at 90+GB, yup, Giga, now that's what you call unlimited and it costs us 60-bucks. :)
4: Check with the provider that you can roam with data and Tethering. My guess is not.
5: Fine print is always mandatory reading.

I'm aware that it drops to edge after 5gb. I've never gone over though, and it is referred to by T-Mobile as unlimited data (though throttled eventually) hence why I called it "unlimited". And for me 500mb of tethering is pretty much good for a fair amount of web browsing and some Netflix. There's a lot of WiFi around here... I can't even imagine using 90gb! Also, on the $30 prepaid plan, I am fairly sure there is no data roaming.

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
That's what this thread is about. Tethering without it being shut off, which is what will happen if you don't use the APN method.

Mine got shut off even with using the APN edit. I'm going to try it again this month but last month they cut me off.

cq1125

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Mine got shut off even with using the APN edit. I'm going to try it again this month but last month they cut me off.

Hmm. I was worried about that. I usually use a user agent switcher plugin in chrome and set it to an android phone, so they see the data coming from a phone and not a computer which is pretty obviously tethering. I don't know if it actually works though.

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
So if I understand this correctly, I add Dun to my APN, then I don't need an app to tether, I simply got to settings/wireless networks/more/tethering and portable hotspots and then activate tethering from there. I am on AIO wireless with an AT&T branded unlocked phone, I know a few said they got it working on an unlocked AT&T device, just curious. Or would I need to install FoxFi for wireless tethering, rather then USB tethering.