A Hard reset eliminates Root, Unlocked Bootloader and KitKat 4.4.2

newbalance55

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello
Totally newbie in the mobile world, so my apologies if my questions sound stupid or have been asked before.

I?m from Spain and I?m a MODE IRONIC ON proud MODE IRONIC OFF owner of a Sprint Moto X.
Until now , it?s being useless, since it is locked to Sprint USA. But that?s another story. I will search through the forum later on to find out if someone already knows a method to unlock it.

As I say, the phone is Android KitKat 4.4.2, unlocked Bootloader, rooted.
My question: If I do a hard reset using the option Settings/Backup and reset/Factory data reset,
Will I loose the Android KitKat 4.4.2, unlocked Bootloader, and the root?

Thank you in advance.
Regards

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Normal rule of thumb when rooted is NEVER use the factory reset from within Settings. You should use the ONLY the factory reset from within a custom recovery when rooted.

In regards to the second part of your question. Doing a factory reset will not remove root, relock the bootloader or downgrade your OS.

newbalance55

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, Paul. Very kind of you.
Two more questions:

1.- The seller told me that it is rooted. How do I know that it is true?
2.- And if so, thank you for your advice. I will not use the Settings option. But then, what do you mean with "custom recovery"? Do I need any extra app?

Regards

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If the device is rooted then it should have a custom recovery installed.

You can verify this in two ways...

1. Power the device off. Once completely off, press and hold both Volume Up & Down and continue to hold while also pressing power button for about 5 seconds and this should bring you to your bootloader. From there navigate using Volume Down and make selections using Volume Up.

2. You can usually tell if a device has been rooted by looking in your APP list and see if there is an application called SuperSU or SuperUser.

Last edited:

newbalance55

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have an app called SuperSU, so I assume it is rooted.
And why Recovery instead of Factory Reset? Whats the difference?
And just to be sure, and my apologies for my insistence. Neither Factory Reset nor Recovery will remove root, relock bootloader and downgrade KitKat4.4.2, right?
Thnx in advance

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
While rooted using Factory Reset from the bootloader or within Settings has usually proved to be a NO NO.. Some devices have no issues, others have soft bricked causing issues.

If your looking to wipe the device clean and start fresh then boot into the RECOVERY and there should be an option in either CWM or TWRP recovery called " Factory Reset " which will safely clear data/cache/dalvik on the device and start you clean with whatever is currently flashed in terms of OS on the device.

Your correct on the factory reset, it won't remove root, downgrade or lock the bootloader. All that has to be accomplished via special steps to achieve.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If a custom recovery is installed, also try holding volume up and power.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I have an app called SuperSU, so I assume it is rooted.
Sorry I didn't specifically address this. Yes if you have this app your almost certainly rooted.

Recovery is two things.

1. Stock Recovery has a few basic options. Performing a factory reset, flashing/installing an OFFICIAL update package (OS/firmware) or wiping cache partitions of the device.

2. Custom Recovery which is installed in place of the stock when rooted allows you to do the above plus much more like flashing/installing UNOFFICIAL updates (ROMS, KERNELS, THEMES) on the device. Making full backup's of the device, wiping and formatting specific parts of the device and many other features (too many to list).